Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #1

Any idea what could be draining my battery?

I have a 2013 Jayco Swift 185RB Camper Trailer. About a month ago, my interior lights kept getting dimmer and dimmer and my battery indicator was at 1/4. So I took the battery in to be checked and it had to be replaced. I was out on a trip last weekend and the battery indicator was at full capacity. Now 4 days later I went to my camper and the battery is totally dead. What do you suppose would have drained my battery? All the lights were turned off and there was nothing drawing power that I can think of. I have always left my battery connected between trips for the past 2 years and never had this problem before. Thanks for your advice.
marstar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Maybe just mention in your signature what model RV.
There are parasite rains, like gas or smoke alarm etc., if not on shore-power use a batt. disconnect switch to isolate the battery.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
bap

LP gas detector is a big drain. Install a battery disconnect switch to shut off when you aren’t using the camper and not plugged into shore power.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #4
Site Team

You need a battery disconnect switch for when stored without power.

All the parasitic drains mentioned plus the sound system can contribute to draining the battery down to nothing.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:20 PM   #5

As the others have said...
but it puzzles me that, "I have always left my battery connected between trips for the past 2 years and never had this problem before."

I got nothin'. Your battery should have been dying those past 2 years.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #6
Site Team

Here is another idea. Look for a light in a storage compartment that is left on.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #7

First, the lights that show how much battery are not very accurate, with that said, if it shows less than 1/2, you should consider that damaging your batteries. Best device is something that shows how many volts you have. If it shows less than 12.2 volts, you should consider that damaging your batteries. Keep the voltage above 12.2, always.

Now back to your issue. I have a similar problem. Even with the factory battery disconnect, my batteries go dead in 10 days. My solution was to add a 100 watt solar. Now my batteries are always fully charged even on cloudy days.

My suggestion to you is add a battery disconnect at the battery, or just unhook the negative side every time you don’t use it. Chasing those battery sucking gremlins may not be worth the effort. Not sure why you did not have the problem and why you do now...
Old 07-08-2018, 07:08 PM   #8

Yeah it doesn't add up. Troubleshooting is in order. How are the water levels (if applicable)? You'd need to measure current draw with everything off then start pulling fuses to isolate which circuit is causing the issue.

Once it's figured out I'm with GHen here, go with a little solar to keep 'er topped off.

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:16 PM   #9

That''s a great idea. The previous owner installed lights in the cabinets that come on when you open the door. Your idea makes me think that one of those lights might not be turning off.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:19 PM   #10

It is very puzzling that I've never had this problem before. My battery was always at full capacity even after 3 weeks of sitting in storage. Looks like I'm going to have to invest in a disconnect switch.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by marstar7 View Post
It is very puzzling that I've never had this problem before. My battery was always at full capacity even after 3 weeks of sitting in storage. Looks like I'm going to have to invest in a disconnect switch.
Yes, you can install a disconnect switch, but that still doesn't solve the core problem of why your parasitic current has suddently increased.

As Vasquez Kid commented, some troubleshooting may be in order. I'd suggest placing a clamp-on ammeter around the primary cable connected to the positive battery terminal to see how much parasitic current you have. If it went dead in less than 4 days, it's probably a few amps or more---should be significantly less than 1 amp. I'd start pulling the DC fuses in the power center one at a time (while monitoring the parasitic current) to see if you can identify the source of the excess current draw. If the source is not connected to the DC fuse panel then checking current on every wire or cable that parallels with the positive terminal is next.

Good luck!
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
Now back to your issue. I have a similar problem. Even with the factory battery disconnect, my batteries go dead in 10 days. My solution was to add a 100 watt solar. Now my batteries are always fully charged even on cloudy days.
SOLAR is a Band-Aid in this case, as the actual problem causing the battery discharge still exists. If the Battery disconnect-switch is connected correctly, a GOOD (fully charged) battery will go months without a charge. As mentioned, your battery goes dead in 10 days using the disconnect switch. I would venture to say that your battery is toast by now.

The other thing to investigate on the factory installed switch, are there any levelers still wired in some where, as automatic leveling jacks have circuit boards that require basic power even when not working.

You need to find what is draining your batteries.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #13

Even having Solar we were able to tell when are batteries were shot. They just would not hold a charge.When your at 12 your batteries are at 50% charge. Before Solar we could kill are one 12 V battery in 10 days.Amazing how all those idiot lights alarms suck your batteries dry! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
xxxcamper.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:39 PM   #14

Pull a 12v fuse and when reinserting, see which circuits are relatively hot by how much arc you get putting fuse back in.

Tags
battery