Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2022, 10:49 AM   #1

Anybody ever mount a roof rack to their RV?

I have a 2020 Redhawk 31F and been thinking it would be nice to use my Yakima roof box for additional storage. I was wondering if anybody has mounted a roof rack or used a roof box on top their RV. I am still young and agile enough to climb up and down a ladder so don’t worry about that part, and I am aware this might raise my vehicle height. Just wondering about actually experience, type of rack used, etc.

Thanks.
J05H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 04:40 PM   #2

13' 6" is the max height. If you mount the box to the top of the camper would it exceed 13' 6"? If it does then that would be a problem. If it doesn't then you probably could If you make sure you mount to structure. The next question would be how how weight are you going to put in it. I can't comment on experience.
Demco 18K Autoslide Hitch and Timbrens
2019 Ford F350 SB 6.7L Diesel (Gone)
Radar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 04:45 PM   #3
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by J05H View Post
I have a 2020 Redhawk 31F and been thinking it would be nice to use my Yakima roof box for additional storage. I was wondering if anybody has mounted a roof rack or used a roof box on top their RV. I am still young and agile enough to climb up and down a ladder so don’t worry about that part, and I am aware this might raise my vehicle height. Just wondering about actually experience, type of rack used, etc.

Thanks.
I think you are asking for height, leaks, wind damage and who knows what else.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 05:17 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I’m not worried about the height difference, or weight. I’m just wondering which rack and crossmembers people are using. I’ve seen the Maggie Racks but not sure if these are the best to use for rvs.
Old 06-08-2022, 06:24 PM   #5

Maybe it's just me, but I would never mount anything to the roof of my trailer. You say that height is not an issue, but I don't see how that's possible. You never know when you'll come across a low clearance obstruction. And creating even more entry points for water intrusion is not a good idea by my way of thinking. No matter how much Eternabond you use.

Couldn't you go with a bumper mount for the additional storage box?
Old 06-08-2022, 06:36 PM   #6

How did I know I would only receive criticism from those that have no experience doing this type of thing. My roof box is the same height as the a/c, so it would only raise the height by whatever the height of the rack is, but as I mentioned in the first post, I’m not asking for opinions, just real experience. Also Randall, have you been on your roof to see how much is already up there? Four more mounts is not going to concern me. My solar panel has that many.

As far as my hitch, I use it for my bikes, otherwise that’s a good suggestion.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2022, 07:25 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by J05H View Post
How did I know I would only receive criticism from those that have no experience doing this type of thing. My roof box is the same height as the a/c, so it would only raise the height by whatever the height of the rack is, but as I mentioned in the first post, I’m not asking for opinions, just real experience. Also Randall, have you been on your roof to see how much is already up there? Four more mounts is not going to concern me. My solar panel has that many.

As far as my hitch, I use it for my bikes, otherwise that’s a good suggestion.

Thanks
I mounted a rack to the roof of my Trailmanor, just keep in mind all those other things mounted on the roof weren't installed by highly trained NASA engineers using ultra secret materials and techniques, nor do you need a dispensation from the Pope. That A/C, Vent, Antennae, etc. on your RV roof were installed by assembly line workers using the same materials you can buy and with the same walking around sense you have. Just make sure it's solidly atttached and sealed up like you would if you added a roof vent or anything else up there. Go for it. ( For what it's worth, the gatekeepers on the TM forum warned me it would negatively effect tongue weight, induce sway and leak, as well as possibly cause the earth to tilt off it's axis, none of that happened).
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:58 AM   #8

I installed a bike rack on my popup many years ago. It had rails built for the purpose from the factory that I connected too, so no holes were drilled. I made sure it was between the axle and tongue as weight was my only concern. I also made sure I did not exceed the popups roof weight limit. Height was not an issue.

I know it's a totally different situation from yours, but it can be done. I'm just not sure I would want to do it on a full height RV. If height and weight are not an issue, and you are not concerned about extra holes in your roof, then I think you've answered your own question. Personally, I think it would be a real pain getting cargo up and down from that height. What do you plan to keep in the storage pod that would be easy enough to get up on the roof?

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote