Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2015, 11:16 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Macerator pump is easiest way as you can pump tank contents into sewer cleanout or even into toilet.

I live in a cul de sac with a sewer trunk to the four houses. Manhole is very convenient and I seldom use it, but the neighbors always look aghast when I have. One yelled at me for what I was doing. I said he did the same thing everytime he flushed. He thought a second and then walked away.

Murff
"Sh!tter$ ful!" - Cousin Eddie

Am I really the first the mentally picture this?

UPC
Old 07-29-2015, 06:18 PM   #22
bap

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPCamper View Post

UPC
No you are just the first to say it. I hope you have your bathrobe on and a cold brew in one hand with the hose in the other.
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #23

Actually, the macerator is 90 miles from home at the campground.

Don't need the macerator at home. Just back the trailer down the cul-de-sac, pull up the person hole cover, conect the poo hose to the TT, drop the end of the hose in the hole and let 'er rip!

But, after seeing UPC's post, may need to bring it home!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:45 PM   #24

I use the clean out that's in the drive next to the house, matches the campground connection and dumps to the city sewer. I can take my time and really flush the black tank.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:09 AM   #25

Quote:

UPC

Same vision came to my mind as well.
BeemerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:56 AM   #26

Quote:

UPC

http://youtu.be/BeskbiJjCXI
BeemerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerBob View Post

LMAO too funny......
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:57 PM   #28

We have a vacation rental cottage on the same 5-acre property as our house, and it has a separate septic tank. When it was built, I had a line run from beside its driveway to the cottage septic tank, just for the purpose of occasional trailer dumping when we camped without a sewer hookup. Never any problems or smell. A lot more convenient than running by a dump station in the CG or on the way home.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie23 View Post
We have a vacation rental cottage on the same 5-acre property as our house, and it has a separate septic tank. When it was built, I had a line run from beside its driveway to the cottage septic tank, just for the purpose of occasional trailer dumping when we camped without a sewer hookup. Never any problems or smell. A lot more convenient than running by a dump station in the CG or on the way home.
I have been looking into this at my parents house for when we visit. A friend of the family who runs a septic service warned us to not dump the tanks directly into the septic system. Most septic systems have a tank and a drainage field. The tank is supposed to receive the sewage from your house and allow the solids to settle and the liquids to separate. The liquids eventually get pushed out to the drainage field. If you dump large amounts of liquid into the tank you risk stirring up the sludge at the bottom of the tank and pushing it out to the drainage field. This could create blockage in the drainage field system which is expensive to repair and will result in a wet and smelly lawn...dump your tanks slowly!
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #30

We put in a dump station for our RV when we built our shop which also has a full bath. When we built our house we lived in our motor home and it was a life saver having it. While living in the motor home we dumped weekly and we never have had any trouble dumping a large amount at one time. Now we hardly use it we try to dump at the campground before we get home.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
I have been looking into this at my parents house for when we visit. A friend of the family who runs a septic service warned us to not dump the tanks directly into the septic system. Most septic systems have a tank and a drainage field. The tank is supposed to receive the sewage from your house and allow the solids to settle and the liquids to separate. The liquids eventually get pushed out to the drainage field. If you dump large amounts of liquid into the tank you risk stirring up the sludge at the bottom of the tank and pushing it out to the drainage field. This could create blockage in the drainage field system which is expensive to repair and will result in a wet and smelly lawn...dump your tanks slowly!
I think the likelihood of this is greater if you have an older, single-chamber tank. Mine has two chambers separated by a baffle to prevent short-circuiting. It also has a strainer on the outlet pipe to catch solids before they can get into the drain field lines. And, we have our septic tank pumped as needed to keep the sludge level where it is supposed to be. A tank overfilled with sludge is going to be stirred up by a heavy inflow.

Normally I empty the holding tanks when departing the campground to lighten the load. When I get home there is only a small volume which gets dumped into the septic tank. Your point to dump the tanks slowly is still a good thing to remember.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:17 PM   #32

I used to dump into my septic tank vent. Now that I have sewer, I've extended one of the cleanouts by putting a tee into it. I'm about four feet from the driveway--can't beat it!
Old 01-11-2016, 07:24 PM   #33

I have full hookup at the house and wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:32 PM   #34

Quote:

UPC
That was my thought too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
<~~~~~~~ never eating corn again.
Maybe not just corn. Back in the days that I was involved with biological waste water treatment systems and environmental site cleanup I learned to look for a clue. If tomato plants are growing in farmer fields where only another crop is supposed to be, likely someone has been dumping untreated sewage. Humans don't digest tomato seeds. When the seeds land in a fertile field with waste water they germinate just fine. It happens more than people would like to know.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:56 PM   #35

I just want to clarify for some that may be reading this thread. Every state has different waste management practices. Here in Houston, manhole covers go over rain water run off. Black water and grey water go in a separate system. These are separate systems. Do not confuse the two if your city/state has the same separated systems.

I see how NY and other states handle true sewage and all I can do is shake my head (they are on one system). I understand it would cost billions to change but it is still pretty disgusting when it floods!!!!
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:05 PM   #36

In my neighborhood, the storm drains are separate from sewer. The cul-de-sac manhole is for outgoing poo only from the four houses here.

(Cousin Eddie's quote has been my ringtone for the past Christmas season!)

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #37

Murff- I love your avatar! I am glad I don't live near some of you that dump in your field.
my toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #38

We spoke to our septic tank maintenance company about installing a trailer dump. The technician strongly advised against it.
As he explained to us, the chemicals that are used in a trailer black tank (as a short term waste holding tank) are designed to liquefy the waste and other solids. When introduced to your home's septic tank, that same chemical has the effect of killing the needed bacteria for a proper break down of solid waste material. He told us that could lead to premature field failure. I tend to believe him, as he has nothing to gain -- in fact, he would benefit if I ruined my field.
IMO, it is too much of a risk to take just for the convenience of dumping at home. We just make sure we dump the tanks prior to leaving the campground.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:04 AM   #39

Many homes have on their property a clean-out between their house and the sewer system running down the street, making it very easy to lift the small concrete lid and empty the tank.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allamuchy Joe View Post
We spoke to our septic tank maintenance company about installing a trailer dump. The technician strongly advised against it.
As he explained to us, the chemicals that are used in a trailer black tank (as a short term waste holding tank) are designed to liquefy the waste and other solids. When introduced to your home's septic tank, that same chemical has the effect of killing the needed bacteria for a proper break down of solid waste material. He told us that could lead to premature field failure. I tend to believe him, as he has nothing to gain -- in fact, he would benefit if I ruined my field.
IMO, it is too much of a risk to take just for the convenience of dumping at home. We just make sure we dump the tanks prior to leaving the campground.
IMHO, dumping only the owner's trailer into the owner's septic tank there would be excellent control of what was dumped into the septic tank. Not everyone uses septic tank 'unfriendly' chemicals in their trailer tank(s); we don't.

A person that uses 'unfriendly' chemicals could always dump and flush them prior to returning home and not add the chemical(s). Then dumping the black tank at home would be virtually like flushing the toilet.

That's just MHO.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote