Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2016, 05:16 AM   #1

Anyone been over to the Jayco FB page?

Boy oh boy there are some horror stories over there about brand spanking new units that were made terribly. Has me concerned about build quality actually as the wife and I are planning on our next upgrade. All those stories are making me think QC has gone way down since our last Jayco purchase and maybe I should just keep what I have.
StarGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:26 AM   #2

That is the first place a Google search sent me when I was researching the Starcraft Launch I ended up purchasing. That page is enough to scare anyone off. I haven't experienced any problems, just minor annoyances (regarding quality of craftsmanship). You best ally is a good dealer/service dept. and a sharp eye before and during the walk through.
oldenuftoknowbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:40 AM   #3

Any new unit is going to have problems, more than likely. That is what a good dealer and a warranty are for. Keeps the dealers in business. That being said, Jayco is the only dealer to my knowledge that offers a manufacturer's 2 year warranty. The others only offer 1. That gives you two years to find and correct any problems. If you use the unit regularly, you will get any and all problems worked out within that time. Good dealer is the key. We had 3 major problems with our new unit. Should never have left the factory if an inspection was done prior to delivery. Our dealer took our unit in and fixed the problem on the day we took it in. True, we scheduled our repairs and they had a bay cleared for our unit when we brought it in, and they jumped right on it. Fixed it while we waited. Try that with Camping World or some of these other big dealers.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazer View Post
Boy oh boy there are some horror stories over there about brand spanking new units that were made terribly. Has me concerned about build quality actually as the wife and I are planning on our next upgrade. All those stories are making me think QC has gone way down since our last Jayco purchase and maybe I should just keep what I have.
Have you read only the bad comments? There seem to be far more happy campers (bad pun) than otherwise. It's true that QC is a huge challenge for the entire industry, but Jayco at least tries to fix problems AND they stand behind their product with a 2-year warranty. I'm on my second Jayco TT in 2 years and have yet to find a problem that I would complain about.

Oh, wait. I had to tighten the cold water nut on my kitchen sink faucet in the first one. Which could have been sloppy work, but it could also have just been a natural result of vibration during the 600-mile delivery trip. To me it's more of a maintenance issue.

Also, most of the issues I read about on the FB page seem to be more dealer-related. It sure looks like Jayco will step in and try to get things fixed. For myself, I'm very happy with my dealer. We had noticed one issue with our new TT during the sales process, and asked them to correct it before delivery, which they did. No problem.

That's just my $.02 worth on the subject. I wonder if people who order custom may see more issues than those who (like me) have bought from dealer stock - buying from stock may mean a good dealer gets more of a chance to fix things that might have shaken loose in transit. Just a guess on my part.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:45 AM   #5

Guess I was one of the lucky ones when I picked up my Jayco back in 2011. Not a single issue besides blind replacement and general maintenance. I just figured that was the norm although that was my first RV purchase so I didn't know any better. Fast forward to 2016 doing my research on new models and you see some scary things going on.
StarGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:30 AM   #6

No one seeks out a place to "rave" about a unit with no troubles. It is just expected to buy a trouble free trailer.
Out of the tens of thousands Jayco's sold, a couple hundred bad apples got complained about on FB.
There is no manufacturer that isn't going to have troubles for the price point everyone expects to pay.

Here is a kudos...My NorthPoint was trouble free! perfectly built unit. I would recommend a Jayco to anyone.
Then again my CedarCreek was trouble free too.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 06:49 AM   #7

The internet is the "***** board" of the new world order. More complaints than praises about everything.

You can never do too much research.

Someone out there will never be satisfied with anything and is more than happy to share.

Like klassic points out, the number of complaints is minimal if you look at the overall number of units produced. But if its your TT, it's not minor to you. You have to be an educated shopper and have at least a basic understanding of how your TT works.

I'm a newbie, and these forums have helped educate me before my purchase. So far, no problems with my TT.
_________

2013 F-150 Supercrew 5.0L/factory tow package
2016 Starcraft Launch Ultralite 26BHS
Old 04-04-2016, 06:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazer View Post
Guess I was one of the lucky ones when I picked up my Jayco back in 2011. Not a single issue besides blind replacement and general maintenance. I just figured that was the norm although that was my first RV purchase so I didn't know any better. Fast forward to 2016 doing my research on new models and you see some scary things going on.
You were not one of the "lucky" ones, you got what most of us got.

I've purchased 3 Jaycos new. A '93 1208 pop-up that we had for 10 years
(Custom ordered), a '03 Kiwi 17a hybrid also owned for 10 years (custom ordered), and our current X20E hybrid (off the lot). When new a few minor issues on each unit. But overall very solid and well built trailers. If they were really as bad as you are concerned about, they wouldn't be in business anymore.

FB is the LAST place I'd be checking "reviews". It's forums like this one where you'll learn real world experiences.

EDIT: In looking at the "reviews", complaints about things like dealers not stepping up to the plate (Not a Jayco issue), or people saying "I will never buy one again" without any real explanation is why I would put no stock in anything said there.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:14 AM   #9
Site Team

Anything made that quickly by humans is prone to an issue. I know I'm pretty fussy about quality, and although there were three or four things that we had the dealer remedy, nothing major at all. One was a decal that looked like it was damaged in transit. Not their fault. What seems like an issue to me, may not look like one to Jayco. We're extremely happy with ours, and our dealer (raving). The warranty wasn't the deciding factor, just a nice touch. We will go back there for the next Jayco.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:24 AM   #10

While it does seem to be an industry problem and just seems to be one of those things one has to accept, I'm rather surprised by the excuses made and acceptance of shoddy workmanship. We wouldn't except it if it was your TV or the car your family rides in. We wouldn't accept it from the doctor who operated on us.....why do we make excuses and just accept it on units that we've paid anywhere from $15k - $100K or more....SMH. Sure, most dealers will make it right and JayCo steps in when needed, that's not the point. The point is Jayco has a serious quality control problem and should address it.... and as long as their band aid resolution is accepted as the norm, then they'll never do anything about it. I have a Pup, I like things simple when I'm camping.....If I wanted luxury, I would stay in a 5 star resort or some hotel and just drive to see nature. But that's me, different stroke for different folks. My point is I paid $17k for the Pup and the quality of workmanship was below average to put it mildly. In the first year, both bench seats for the dinette collapsed....minimal blocking and too short screws. I fixed those myself, simply because I corrected their deficiencies...proper screws, glue and adequate blocking ledges....and it took less effort than hauling the unit to the dealership and waiting for them to get it fixed and then hauling it back. It took maybe 2 hours total time on my part and I have the peace of mind knowing it will never be a problem in the future. The door opening was another issue.....that opening wasn't cut square from the get go, leaving only 1 latch bolt on the hatch /step catching the jamb....leaving it susceptible to opening on its own if the trailer torqued even the slightest amount crossing a drainage gutter in the road, taking a corner, etc., etc.....that the dealer fixed, took them a week. At the same time the dealership fixed the heater that wouldn't work......they said is was a bad propane tank (3 of them ???)....after enlightening them to the readings on the control board, they finally admitted it was a bad control board that they switched out, but maintained that it was faulty propane pressure that caused it........????.

I admit, it is what it is and until it effects their sales numbers, chances are Jayco will continue with the "make good" program........it doesn't negate the fact that they have a quality control issue and as long as customers are willing to accept the inconvenience and delays and continue to make rationalizations for them, it will continue.....but, this will be my one and only Jayco, that's for sure.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:47 AM   #11

A couple of additional thoughts on this subject:
  1. Check the Sticky Polls on this forum regarding initial quality and quality after 2 years. Overall they look pretty good.
  2. Seems to me that in the manufacturing process there's something of a tradeoff between the fairly low prices we're willing to pay, and the cost of 100% quality control. Not sure we would all agree on where to strike that balance.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:04 AM   #12

Most of the noise on the FB page seems to be coming from just a few people. Reading through the posts, Jayco has offered time and time again to bring their camper units in, and make them right. The posters on the other hand, act as if they are dealing with Wal Mart, wanting an even exchange, which is not such a simple task considering RV's are licensed through the DMV, just like a motor vehicle. Yes, it can be very frustrating, and, an inconvenience. We went through it with our previous pop up from another mfg.

David
astrowolf67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:16 AM   #13

We picked up our 321RSTS Fifth wheel last week. During the walkthrough we ran all the appliances, including both AC units and heater, checked every nook and cranny for defects in workmanship, and of course the outside as well. The only "flaw" we found was a loose piece of ceiling molding which was immediately repaired. Now granted...We haven't actually gone anywhere yet and we did not test any of the plumbing, but if the walkthrough is any indication, it looks like we're pretty good! (fingers, arms,legs crossed).
Mindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:39 PM   #14

No matter if you buy a 15k of a 500,000k coach there will always be something that wasn't done right. Even if you buy a 5,000,000.00 house there will be something wrong. Jayco and the dealers will do everything in their power to fix it, unless the owner becomes a real pain in the rear to them. Treat the dealer with respect and you will get things done.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:09 AM   #15

Its the same with any low production item that is complex, other than perhaps a Rolls Royce.

Its a trade off. I don't know that I could afford the Rolls Royce of RV's.
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger
apr1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #16

I am on the JOF and Jayco Travel Trailer Facebook group several times a day. I see many happy owners. While I keep ad eye on the problem posts I also keep up with the happy owners.

Modifications list at https://www.stormpod.org
StormPOD is offline   Reply With Quote