Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2022, 06:47 AM   #1

Anyone buy a RV at the RV Show?

Curious....

Has anyone ever bought a RV directly from the RV Show?

How does one get the RV inspected before taking it home?
Nan2950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:10 AM   #2

I did and you don't leave the show with it. I got the price I wanted, signed paper work, talked them into taking it to the dealership closer to my home since the model was from a lot farther away.
Once it was delivered the walk through an inspection was done on dealers lot and remaining paper work was signed an off I went
Old 01-30-2022, 07:18 AM   #3

I'll add that the store manager was pissed because he had to pay a contractor to drag it some 45 miles.
Also, found same model with an even better a price on line. Unit was in MO we're in Ga. I showed the salesman and he said well that's in MO and went into how that wouldn't be a great idea to have it delivered to me because so many things could go wrong. I told him I knew people in MO so for me to go visit them and look over the camper wouldn't be a problem for me. He matched the price.
P.S. I did some more research afterward an never saw another model as cheap as the one that was advertised in MO.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:25 AM   #4

As an indication, at the FMCA Convention in Cody all Motorhomes brought by dealers ( about 50) were sold before the convention ended.

The 2015 Challenger we bought was a show unit with a show option package. The package included upgraded bedding and hanging artwork. We bought it 2 days after it returned from a show around Washington DC.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:51 AM   #5

Not me, but a co-worker did a few years ago. He thought he got a good price but after looking online found the same unit around 1k cheaper at a different dealership the same distance from him, just the other side of the state. He threatened to cancel purchase and they did price match. If you're serious about buying at a show, do your homework!
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:40 AM   #6

I ALMOST did years ago. We started off tent camping, did that for quite a few years and loved it until,.... Dw got a little damp early fall tent camping and that was enough of that. She wanted a pop up and I wanted nothing to do with one, besides I wasnt gonna pull one behind a highly modified diesel truck. That would really look dumb. Travel trailer wasnt going to happen either. Go big or go home, 5th wheel. We did a lot of looking around at different models people had for sale, most were junk IMO, so we visited an upcoming RV show. They had a lot of trailer there and we got a lot of brochures on different models and manufacturers. A lot of our homework was done there and we ALMOST pulled the trigger a 5th wheel. One thing that was kinda of keeping me from doing it was a personal friend of mine owns a mom and pop RV sales and service business and I'd feel kinda bad. The deciding reason we didnt was we were making our deal with a salesman there at the show and one last question came from DW to him... " we aren't getting THIS trailer are we? We're getting another one exactly like it from your dealership lot inventory, right??". Nope, you're buying THIS trailer. This trailer that's had like 5000 people traipsing all over in it and hundreds of kids jumping all over on the beds and furniture with shoes on. Yeah, I dont think so. Sorry, not for me. See ya! And to add insult to injury it was winter in the north country up here, so that thing had been drug thru snow and salt and slop so the underside will be all rusted and ragged out in no time.
I guess I'm too anal about how I keep my stuff. At the end of the day, 4 months later we scored a WAY nicer trailer that was used like 6 times for a fraction of the show price.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:20 AM   #7
eow

Word of caution about early season show units: If the unit is a new model or an early build for the new model year, it may be a prototype or preproduction unit. There are advantages and disadvantages to that. Whereas it may have been given more attention to details, it may be unique in some way.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
eow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
I did and you don't leave the show with it. I got the price I wanted, signed paper work, talked them into taking it to the dealership closer to my home since the model was from a lot farther away.
Once it was delivered the walk through an inspection was done on dealers lot and remaining paper work was signed an off I went
X2...was too much of a good deal on a dealer model that we wanted, dealer had it for about 9 months and wanted to get rid of it...we got it at a great price with a lot of options ... was a 2019 model, we bought at RV show in Timonium, MD, Feb 2020....have enjoyed it immensely ever since..not too many problems that the dealer didn't fix within the first 6 months, like one AC quit working and one kitchen wall panel warped due to leak from kitchen slide,...all that fixed and now everything is fairly decent other than the minor Furnace sail switch, small parts, etc.... love it.
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:35 PM   #9

Rv show purchase

We were working with our dealer and finalized the numbers on our 2022 eagle 321rsts at the Hershey show last September. Our final out the door price including a few add on was several thousand below the "magical" show price.
Troutbound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:23 PM   #10

I bought a boat at a show. I was helping a buddy with his booth for a couple days and struck up a conversation with a salesperson in the booth next door. He was complaining about a customer who backed out of a deal on the boat and now he didn't have a driver lined up to tow it back.

I somehow went from making a few bucks towing it to their shop to towing it home. I must have gotten a good deal. I used that boat for years and sold it for about $1,000 less than what I paid.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:57 PM   #11

I have bought one brand new trailer at an RV Show. It was a base model with few options but the SWMBO* fell in love with the floor plan.

By the time I added all of the options I felt were needed, SWMBO wasn't happy with the price but wnt along with it.

Was agreat trailer and I even know where it still is! This was 1986.

Yes, I am old!

Murff

*She Who Must Be Obeyed

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:53 PM   #12
Site Team

We ordered a new one exactly like the display model at a show. That was '96. I have no idea where it is now. I'm only a little old...but happy I'm still getting that way.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:26 PM   #13

We did, but made arrangements to pick up from dealer, they sent back to dealer to do the prep work picked up four days later
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
I'll add that the store manager was pissed because he had to pay a contractor to drag it some 45 miles.
Also, found same model with an even better a price on line. Unit was in MO we're in Ga. I showed the salesman and he said well that's in MO and went into how that wouldn't be a great idea to have it delivered to me because so many things could go wrong. I told him I knew people in MO so for me to go visit them and look over the camper wouldn't be a problem for me. He matched the price.
P.S. I did some more research afterward an never saw another model as cheap as the one that was advertised in MO.

Dam good work, woodworker! Way to go! I love to hear stories like this!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 02:01 PM   #15

The short is, you won't get it from the show. Maybe there's an exception somewhere, but the PDI won't have been done. I doubt there's anywhere you could.

I'm same as most above...I bought my current Jayco 5er at the RV show. Signed intent to buy at the show. They matched a price I found a few hours away on exact model that was lower than the "Show" price. Told them I'd rather buy local, but hard to spend $3k+ more. Had to show them it was the exact same model and year, but they were very nice about it.

They were also great in that for the next two weeks I was tied up with training for work, wouldn't be able to take delivery nor finish out the paperwork. They held it those two weeks with only the intent to buy and had it ready to walk through when I got back. Signed the last of the paperwork, already had the check from the bank for them, and I was out within a few hours....and most of that was the walk through.

The were a local family owned place at the time. Found out when I picked up they had just been bought by a chain. But, I got my deal at the right price and didn't really care.

Tim
Flyingaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 02:57 PM   #16

We bought our Jayco Eagle HT 5th Wheel at the RV show last year. We negotiated a deal lower than the show price. Not able to shop for a better deal because we bought the first unit of our floorplan that they ever made. We had been waiting for it to hit the dealers lot for months. However, when shopping at the show, my advice is to just keep saying no those numbers don’t work for us and they will come back with a better deal. We picked it up at the dealer after the show and it was fully detailed before delivery.
Old 02-05-2022, 04:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Dam good work, woodworker! Way to go! I love to hear stories like this!
[emoji109][emoji91][emoji106]
Old 02-06-2022, 09:25 AM   #18

I ordered our Pinnacle at an RV show. Told the salesman exactly what we wanted and told him we would be back in about half an hour. They knocked 32% off of the SRP. Gave them a deposit and took delivery 2 1/2 months later. Been on the road for 3 years now and couldn't be more pleased with our 5er.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 12:35 AM   #19

We purchased a travel trailer and picked it up at a dealer. The trailer was the best travel trailer we ever owned. We had it for 8 years and sold it on eBay for almost what we paid for it. I do a lot of maintenance! It pays off.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan2950 View Post
Curious....

Has anyone ever bought a RV directly from the RV Show?

How does one get the RV inspected before taking it home?
I just did Saturday! I negotiated on the actual camper at the show. It was very nerve wracking watching hundreds of people pour through the camper that I just bought and I will likely not t=do that again but I will be picking the unit up later this week where I will do the full PDI at the dealers location.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote