Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-18-2021, 04:21 PM   #1

Anyone had/have axle problems

We have a jayco 2020 RL. We took it in because it looked like the axel was bent. We took it to the dealer under warranty for it to be fixed. There is a dispute over who is responsible. The axel company says its not them. Jayco says its not them its the company who made the frame. They havent started work because none of them will take responsibility. Dealer is saying they should have an answer in 2 weeks. We called jayco. They seemed annoyed that wecalled
Annod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:40 PM   #2

The question should be who HASN'T had axle problems.

Your best bet is to continue to call and email everyone. Be polite, but firm. Don't give up.

Call/email your dealer, Jayco, Dexter, LCI/Lippert. They all helped us (looooooooong stories), but not without a lot of persistence on our part.

We have to be the change we want to see in the RV industry.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annod View Post
We have a jayco 2020 RL. We took it in because it looked like the axel was bent.
What do you mean by "looked"? What were you seeing? Also it would be LIPPERT or DEXTER as the axle manufacturer. The dealer should know that.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:54 PM   #4

I too am having a warranty issue on my new 2020 SLX7 single axel. Drexel says its not their problem and Frame Mfg says its not their problem. The spring also broke and Jayco says they will pay for one but not the other. Go Figure ! Still dealing with the factory and it has been a finger pointing session from the beginning.
How do you plan to resolve your issue?
Jaycobirdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:56 PM   #5

I see where you posted in February, how did your axel issue turn out?
Jaycobirdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:31 PM   #6

When I had axle problems I went directly to the manufacturer, Lippert. Their customer service was excellent.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 11:33 PM   #7

My daughter had a bent rear axel, Dexter replaced both of them without much arguing.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:30 AM   #8

Bad Axle

Seems to be lots of posts on bad axles. Currently waiting for a rear replacement axle and 2 new tires under warranty. 2020 Pinnacle 32rlts. Inside edge of both rear tires worn nearly bald after 3500 miles. I placed my ladder flat against my rear tire, it does not touch the front tires on either side and clearly shows a toe out issue.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210922_145711493.jpg   IMG_20210922_144441675.jpg  
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:30 AM   #9

We had an axle issue with our previous trailer, tires wearing out unevenly in less than 5,000 miles. Ends up, the axle (at least the one on that particular trailer) is not made to be straight, and it had been installed upside down! Once this was corrected, no more issues.
Old 10-21-2021, 08:03 PM   #10

i had axle problems on a tandem utility trailer a few years back. The manufacture fixed it with no issues. They said the axles weren't bad they just were not a 'tuned' set. I have no idea what they meant by this, my wife picked up the trailer so i never had a chance to question them on this. i could tell, they replaced the front axel and the two front tires. Never had tire wear issues after the fix.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:33 PM   #11

They make a kit for correcting alignment issues on tandem axle trailers, that gives you adjustment to get the tow correct. Sometimes the hangers can get welded slightly off and will cause tire wear problems. Trailers do not get alignments like cars/trucks do.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kit+...ile-gws-wiz-hp
Old 10-27-2021, 12:39 PM   #12

Just this past summer as we were coming into Albuquerque, NM we noticed a lot of smoke coming from the passenger side of our 2015 Eagle 29.5FBDS. We thought at first that a bike had fallen off and was dragging as I didn't get any alert from a tire sensor. Pulled over and found that the rear axle seized up. Spent a week there while we had two new heavier duty 6K axles with bigger brakes made up. The wrecker service that picked us up did heavy machinery service and did the replacement for us. Come to find out through the process, those spindles/bearings have to be checked and greased. I know, I know...it was never mentioned during the walk around and I never saw this as a service item on any checklist I came across. First time RV'r here. First time trailer owner. I know, I know...the things you learn and the $1700 will help me to not forget again. Side Note: we had the tires looked at before the new axles were put on and Discount (I like Discount BTW) said they looked good and balanced them. Just had a blowout on the rear axle. I believe it was exposed to the heat of the locked up axle and I should have just replaced them then. Just bought 3, they warrantied the 4th, new tires. Life goes on.
Mr&MrsSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:10 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to wilderness john Send a message via MSN to wilderness john
Not sure if this is related but I had problems after brake adjustment service at a Les Schwuab dealer. They are a super great dealership but didn't know that trailer manufacters insist that trailers be lifted by the frame and NOT the axels since axels are just metal tubes and not heavy cast iron like on a truck.
Now I always make it a point to remind any business dealing with lifting my trailer to use the frame only
wilderness john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 02:04 PM   #14

Just curious how' you knew the axle was bent? I ask, because all trailer axles have a built in camber.... To compensate for the load.
In other words, unloaded, they look bent!
D
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 07:53 PM   #15

Axles are bent

I havn't seen anyone mention this so I will. Axles are supposed to be bent. All major axle manufacturers apply a slight bend to the axles called Camber. If you look under your trailer you will see a very noticeable upward bend to the trailer's axle(s). Under load some of the bend will relieve. If the axle has turned in its mounting brackets chances are you will start to see uneven tire wear. I assume the bent axles discussed were beyond the norm.
Moving Along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
What do you mean by "looked"? What were you seeing? Also it would be LIPPERT or DEXTER as the axle manufacturer. The dealer should know that.
Yup, there is a trailer TORSION AXLE, that I understand will make the wheels look crooked, (cocked OUT at the top?); Early VW Beetle rear axle did that too, especially evident w/ empty car and fuel tank. Or is a an axle mount/ suspension issue/ concern? (I have seen pics of broken spring shackles?)
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:21 AM   #17

A few years ago we had a similar issue with our 2017 Seismic 4212 where the tires were first touching the floor of the coach and then the middle set began to touch the rear set.

It took 7 months of bickering between Jayco and the suspension manufacturer (I believe it was Lippert) before the complete suspension was replaced with something much stronger. No issues since then. Save all your emails. It is better than a phone call where you don’t have any record of it. After each conversation I initiated a email restating the conversation. Be patient but persistent. They will do their best not to pay. Some people swear by Jayco quality, to us it has been a nightmare. Now we are experiencing some soft spots on the roof. Since we installed 1280 kilowatts of solar they will blame that for being the cause and not the sagging plates where the air conditioners are installed.
Carlos & Ranae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:28 AM   #18

Looks like you had both an alignment problem and a camber problem. Did you get the axle replaced?
RikJess is offline   Reply With Quote