Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2015, 11:11 PM   #41

Parking

We used to live in a snooty neighborhood with an HOA. No campers, above ground pools, storage sheds or boats allowed. If you had an in-ground pool, it had to have a fence that wouldn't block the view of the golf course. Oddly enough, they didn't prohibit the messy-looking kids toys and playsets that cluttered up people's backyards and made them an eyesore. Funny how that works. We had to keep our camper at a storage facility about 10 minutes down the road. It was such a hassle to have to go get it, bring it to the house, try to maneuver it into the tiny driveway, load it, then go camping only to have to bring it back home, unload it, and then take it back again. Ugh. Or, we sometimes dropped it off after camping and transferred all of the stuff not staying in the camper to the truck, and drag it all back home. Double ugh.

When we moved, we specifically looked only at homes in a rural setting, with acreage, and no covenants. We ended up in a home with a 75 foot long driveway that we can keep our TT on. We keep it parked in front of the third garage bay. It's so great to have it right outside; we can load it at our leisure, do little projects on it, or clean it whenever we have free time. In the winter we keep it in a really nice heated machine shed on a farmer's property not far away, just because we like to have it protected in the winter.

I refuse to ever live in a home with an HOA again. No one will tell me what I can't or cannot do to my own house or on my own property....unless they plan to pay my mortgage.
mspontiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:37 PM   #42

Just went from 83 bucks a month, 15 miles away, to 60 bucks a month, just right up the road. I have this little wow in the road in front of my driveway (on a busy arterial road), that wants to catch the skid plates protecting my jacks that is annoying as heck. I can get up my driveway if I come in at an angle when I load and unload, but it is a royal pain, so I pay the money, even though I technically have the room (shoe horning it), just not the patience with the traffic and scraping....

2006 Chev Silverado Z-71 5.3L H.O. w/ Trailer Pkg

Tekonsha Primus IQ Controller
Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 01:25 AM   #43

We are moving to the west coast and our new place does not allow parking of trailers. There are a few storage places around that charge $50 per month.... Blessed to have friends moving to the same area that have property and are currently constructing an rv pad that has a 6' security gate all around it to store their 40' trailer. They are kind enough to allow us to store our trailer as well!!!
Old 05-02-2015, 07:34 AM   #44

Back when we had a popup, we kept it in our driveway for years. Then one day the city said someone complained and we had 7 days to move it or get a $700 a day fine. Turns-out the one neighbor who never talked to anybody in the area put their house up for sale a week later.

After looking at storage prices in the Chicago area, it was cheaper to rent a seasonal site in a CG we frequented about 1.5 hrs away than it was to pay for storage by us.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:59 AM   #45

Storing mine for now but very fortunate were moving to a new house were building in October. No HOA and acreage so I'll be building a nice RV pad and cover along with full hookups Can't wait!!
Old 05-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #46

HOA's are evil. I'll never live under one of those things.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 04:46 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by etex211 View Post
HOA's are evil. I'll never live under one of those things.
What he said!
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I can't. HOA keeps us from doing it. Therefore, I'm forced to pay $480 per year for storage.

That is a great deal. I pay twice that.

FB
Firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:52 PM   #49

Originally Posted by TWP723
I can't. HOA keeps us from doing it. Therefore, I'm forced to pay $480 per year for storage.
------------------------------------------------------------------
That's per month here in Las Vegas for warehouse storage!

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
After looking at storage prices in the Chicago area, it was cheaper to rent a seasonal site in a CG we frequented about 1.5 hrs away than it was to pay for storage by us.
Where is the seasonal site/CG? I am in the SW burbs.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:40 PM   #51

I off-road so the site is by Attica and the Badlands west of Lafayette. It's called Summers Camp ground.

Here's the view from our site looking North East (old deck)

Looking north west (new deck)
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:20 AM   #52

Looks nice!