Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2016, 07:34 AM   #21

I've never lost a home to fire or flood but continue to pay for that insurance. The small cost of locks doesn't bother me. I have had to leave an RV in a rustic CG with no one around because we wanted to take a drive on roads that weren't fit for towing. I secured it as best I could to let me drive away from it with "less" worry.
I have heard of RV theft where truck and trailer were both taken. Also theft of RV from dealership, and recently a pop up from our local Walmart lot.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:45 AM   #22

Never had anything missing in over 35 years of camping. I have heard of rigs being stolen, but they were left all year in hunting camps, leased lots, etc. My rig stays at my house when not being used. And then it is set up and ready for use or loading for the next trip. Would be pretty difficult to make off with it, so I have never worried about that! I keep the doors locked and that is about it!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Thats the one that jammed. Wouldn't unlock. Its a bummer when you cant uncouple your own TT
This will work, but the lock pictured looks like a no name. A high quality Master lock would do the trick.

I think pop ups are more apt to be stolen, I've never heard of a full size TT or 5er being stolen from a CG. Stolen from storage place might be a different story. I doubt someone would try to steal a 28BH, but you never know. A $15 master lock in the hitch is as far as I'd go to prevent theft. I would never spend $200 on a theft prevention gizmo. Just my opinion.
Keep the rig insured for theft.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:06 AM   #24

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Glad I am not "Paranoytic" a simple lock on the coupler is enough. At least the "Mice" are not playing with the latch.
Seems if they want someone's unit; the professional criminal has the tools anyway in order to do the job right and fast.
And if they can't get it they'll probably burn it.
Well at least insurance is some protection.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #25

Yes, travel trailers have been stolen:
Cloquet police seek travel trailer stolen from driveway | Duluth News Tribune
And also recovered, over a year later. There was no report on the condition when recovered, however.
https://nixle.com/alert/5032810/

I found lots of other incidents of trailers being stolen when I googled for this one that I knew about. Seems most of them are stolen when parked at home, or from the dealership. I didn't see anything about them being taken from a campground, although I suppose it has happened somewhere.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #26

Another way to help protect your rig... If you put a keyed disconnect switch in line with your electric front tongue jack, auto levelling controller, or front 5ver jacks.
Take the key out.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #27

On a TT as long as the safety chains are accessible that thing can be towed down the road. Lock only stop honest people.
232,500 kms in 2013
200,000 kms in 2014
160,000 kms in 2015
greenenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:41 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Another way to help protect your rig... If you put a keyed disconnect switch in line with your electric front tongue jack, auto levelling controller, or front 5ver jacks.
Take the key out.
That is a good idea! Or you could remove the fuse. It would slow them down enough that they could move on.

Cheers
Old 03-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #29

I have heard of TTs being stolen periodically, usually out of someone’s driveway. I cannot say I have heard of one being stolen out of a storage lot. I do have a nice tongue lock for my HTT. The key slot is under the tongue making it more difficult to access.

I often hear of enclosed utility trailers being stolen, I would guess about one a year. Last summer one of the local Boy Scout Troop trailers was stolen out of the Scoutmaster’s driveway, fully marked, full of the troop’s gear. Last I heard it still has not been located.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I have heard of TTs being stolen periodically, usually out of someone’s driveway. I cannot say I have heard of one being stolen out of a storage lot. I do have a nice tongue lock for my HTT. The key slot is under the tongue making it more difficult to access.

I often hear of enclosed utility trailers being stolen, I would guess about one a year. Last summer one of the local Boy Scout Troop trailers was stolen out of the Scoutmaster’s driveway, fully marked, full of the troop’s gear. Last I heard it still has not been located.
I had a brand new16 foot enclosed trailer stolen off a slightly secured house building site.
I HATE thieves.
And because of a series of unfortunate events I had forgotten to put insurance on it.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #31
Site Team

My sister and BIL had their popup in their side yard (to the right of their driveway) last year right before we were scheduled to go camping. My niece was home and noticed 2 guys back into their driveway and start to hook up to the camper. She opened the door and that was enough to scare them away or they were certainly stealing the popup.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:22 PM   #32
Site Team

OK, Here you go.... $49 a year and it tells you where it is. You can hide it and hard wire it to a 12Volt cable in your TT (second model). If they cut or disconnect your battery cables, it has a 3 year battery life in one of its modes. Gives you an automatic update once a day as to where it is located. It can be accessed for location also. You may even get a discount on your TT insurance. Put a lock on it and one of these units you are covered. Just do not put a sticker on it that says it has an alarm, as they may have one of those cool cell phone signal jammers... everyone should have one for driving and watching reactions to texting drivers..

You should be able to sleep at night with this.

Snagg Theft Protection - OFFICIAL SITE | Snagg

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:32 PM   #33

^^^^ That's fantastic ^^^^
gocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocarp View Post
^^^^ That's fantastic ^^^^
That is a pretty good deal. I sure could have used it two times now.
Having one hidden on my $15000 race modified, uninsurable motocross bike would have brought a smile to my face while someone's chickletts where laying on the pavement.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:54 PM   #35

There are probably good reasons why RV's aren't stolen nearly as often as other vehicles.

Most people steal cars to take them apart and sell the parts or just for a joyride. Selling entire stolen cars has become more and more difficult and risky with embedded VIN and serial numbers inside engine blocks and transmissions, etc. Its also become more difficult to register or insure a stole car because it's harder to fake VIN's and other identifying info with the massive amount of data that is shared between various agencies and the insurance industry.

I suspect selling a stolen RV is just as hard, even a towable. And there isn't that much market for used RV appliances or trailer tires to create a chop-shop industry for RVs.

So if they are stolen, I suspect its either a very stupid thief OR as has been said above, someone who's stealing it for themselves, to hide away as a hunting trailer or something.

I'm not surprised that most thefts that do occur happen around homes, not often in campgrounds. I think most of us RVers look out for each other. I know if I saw a family pull their RV into a site next to me then drive off to sight see or whatever - then I saw someone else hooking up their rig, I'd say something, call a ranger etc. And since there is usually only one way in/out of a campground - and it's frequently by a ranger station or stand - it would be risky to pull a stolen rig out of a campground. You have nowhere to run if the entrance is blocked by a ranger.

I do like that Snagg tracking device however - may have to think about that for my new F150.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:16 AM   #36
Site Team

My son had a utility trailer stolen from his yard. Most of them are easy pickings as they are left without any locks.
In our community I read all the police reports daily. The majority of auto break-ins are in unlocked vehicles.
Common sense is in short supply.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:23 AM   #37
Site Team

One of the main issues for TT's unlike automobiles is that there is that in the code for cars/trucks, you can decipher the mfr, model, engine, paint color.... from the VIN. In the RV industry this does not exist, so you could actually take the VIN of a TT and pretty much make your own VIN and sales paper work to get it sold or registered. The VIN on my TT is on a sticker that is half faded by the sun already. With computer graphics software you can make up your own sticker and put it on the TT, edit the sales slip with a different name, VIN... Pick a state where it would be easiest to slip the newly titled TT in and you are pretty much done.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:56 AM   #38

Theft of suitcases is not uncommon in hotels and airports, and not because people want suitcases. My fifth wheel is one BIG suitcase.
Golf clubs, tools, electronics, guns, money, you never know what one contains.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote