Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-29-2018, 09:41 PM   #21

Interesting read...

https://www.allstays.com/Features/is...-parking-safe/

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:26 AM   #22

Good thread. My old TT had a 20 gal fresh tank, so I never hesitated to fill er up before leaving. The new one has an 80 gal fresh tank, so Im leery of filling it up before I go. Ill put perhaps 20 gals in and get more at my destination.

Unless Im missing something, 640 lbs of water moving in a tank might weaken the anchors over time, or maybe not. I just want to be on the safe side.
Tommyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:14 PM   #23

I travel with 3/4+ but not full as we will lose some via the vent lines while driving. For my rig I want as much weight on the front wheels as I can get due to the short wheel base. Also I like Boy Scouting it and like to be prepared
Old 11-30-2018, 01:26 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
No one has mentioned this yet on this thread, but you want to make sure you aren't going to lose a lot of your water through the vent lines. There are MANY discussions throughout the forum regarding this issue, and almost as many ways to solve it.

On my TT, I installed 1/2 turn valves on my tank vents (there were 2). I just closed them off during travel. The risk here is when you forget to open them and collapse the tank, or forget to close them while filling and rupture it from pressure. For my MH, Jayco put out a service memo that involves re-positioning one of the 3 vent hoses on the tank to "break the vacuum" so the water doesn't "siphon" out of the tanks.

One member even fabricated a vacuum breaking manifold out of PVC.

Just make sure that whatever water you DO carry doesn't get spilled out because of this known issue.

I totally agree with camper bob. I learned the hard way, having only about 5 gal of my 25 gal tank left after 10 hours of highway and 2 hours of jeep road. Placed a stopcock on the vent line and no issues since. And yes, I tow with tank full with rare exceptions.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:10 PM   #25

I never travel with full tanks. My trailer is heavy enough and I don't need another 664lbs of weight to pull around.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:04 PM   #26

Water Tank Advice

Best advice I could give you is if your are traveling from campground to campground with full, (or at least water hook up), travel 2/3 full but if you are Boon Docking" place to place you might want to travel full.

I pondered this question a lot ever since someone said they just started traveling 2/3 full, broke down and needed water.

Plus I tow so in the event of any emergency I would unhook and get on my way if necessary!

It may be true that certain rigs won't notice the difference in gas mileage much, but weight is weight to me.

John
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:21 PM   #27

We traveled with and without. I like my water, some places it smells. Idealy about 40 gallons should easily get you to Florida.
Wscottman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #28

Fresh water and Walmart camping

Hi.
Just an FYI, if traveling through areas where it might freeze at night, you may freeze up your lines, even when running your furnace while sleeping.
We have camped at Walmart many times but I would not want to leave my RV in the middle of the night and walk through their parking lot to use the bathroom. We fill some plastic water jugs for flushing toilet and also for drinking until we are beyond freeze zone.
Others have already commented on lesser fuel economy going with full tanks.
Happy travels!
fifemidwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
Will be traveling from New York to Florida on Saturday. would like to fill up the fresh water tank which is 75 gallons of water and stay at the Walmarts overnight (2 or 3 nights) to save on money. has anybody done this and has anybody had problems doing it.
I travel with full water always. Less sloping about if the tank is full and for the very minimum or negligable amount (if any) I would save in fuel, it's worth it not having to worry about being without water.
Roy Somers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #30

When traveling with the 5th wheel in freezing temperatures I fill my tank reason it takes along time for 80 gallons to freeze and even staying at a campground many times water is not available because their fresh water system is either frozen or they have shut the well pump off to protect their property.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:54 PM   #31

Most RV manufacturers do not recommend traveling with a full water tank, the added weight on rough roads adds unneeded stress on straps and mounts.(600lbs is a lot) I only travel with 5-10 gallons for lunch or potty stops, and have never had trouble finding places to fill up prior to my dry camping spot. Flying J & Pilot will let you fill up, just ask. I have also filled at a few gas stations and once at Mickey D's by just asking, and of course most any RV park will let you fill for a few bucks, as for water quality as long as its potable our onboard filters will do the rest, and we carry bottled water for drinking and coffee. All of my other water comes with hops and barley in it so I'm good with that.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:09 PM   #32

Quote:
Will be traveling from New York to Florida on Saturday. would like to fill up the fresh water tank which is 75 gallons of water and stay at the Walmarts overnight (2 or 3 nights) to save on money. has anybody done this and has anybody had problems doing it.
We always travel with full water. That's one of the reasons for having an RV. It's always nice to know you have onboard water for bathroom breaks or even showers after you wake up from sleeping.
I don't think you are going to notice any difference in mpg.

Be careful there are a lot of idiots out there............
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #33

Send a message via AIM to Fleetman Send a message via MSN to Fleetman
Seldom travel with full FW, only if making short run to a boondock location. Weight is MONEY. My last 5FW was purchased pre-owned and found out after the fact that the midship kitchen grey water tank had slipped from it's carrier due to running over rough roads while full (45 gal). Always keep max 20-25 gallons onboard for necessities. That being said, not too bad of a run down I95 until you get to FL, there the roads are worse than a washboard.

Good luck and safe travels.

2017 North Point 315RLST
2012 F250 Lariat 2WD 6.7 diesel
Fleetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:02 PM   #34

Two things.

You should have no problem with the water. 1 gal water weighs 8.3 lbs x 75 = 622.5 lbs.

Be very careful in staying overnight at Walmart (or for that matter, any similar parking lot). There is no security. You may want to call the local police department to see if there have been any reported problems.
usafdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:16 PM   #35

Usually do, except when camping site has water hookup. ALSO I have never noted difference in gas milage either was, but only carry about 500lbs if fresh water tank full.
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:23 PM   #36

Quote:
75 Gallons = 600# of dynamic sloshy weight to tow around. if it's just 2 people for 3 nights, you might be able to run with less water if you conserve it. Something to keep in mind is when you use the fresh water, it gets put in the gray water and/or black water tanks. Please don't let your tanks get full - especially the black tank. Be mindful of dump stations when you can.

Good Luck!
Old 12-05-2018, 05:51 PM   #37
Sam

I always travel with nearly a full tank of water. Never know when some thing can happen and you will need lots of water. I really don't think it makes much difference in fuel mileage. I have been doing this for at least 30 years and have had no problems. My advise is to do as you think best considering your needs.

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:57 PM   #38

We usually keep 1/2 tank just for unseen situations....if going where there r no water we leave full.
4468461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:35 PM   #39

Back in the 'olden days' (late 1990's) we always had full water, never thought anything about it! Those were the days of "if it fits it goes." I never heard much about GVWR in those days.
Not anymore! We only carry 1/3 of fresh water to get us from point A to B. Even places with no hookups generally have water available nearby and we'll add water there, near or in the campground so we don't go over that pesky but safe, GVWR!
Tdbrwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:21 PM   #40

I travel with water often because we frequent rustic and/or federal lands. Our water tank is in front of the axles and pulls fine. This makes the tongue weight more which would not adversely effect towing safety. Lightening the tongue weight would make the trailer sway more. This will be an issue if you fresh water tank is behind the axles. That may be an issue. If it is an issue draining fresh water is the answer. Beware of gross vehicle limitations and expect compromised fuel economy.

Rick
Rick 17RB is offline   Reply With Quote