Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #61

Fuel prices in Canada this summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28 View Post
Where did you drive to pay US$5.72/USgal for diesel?

The highest we've paid in S. Ontario this summer is about 1.25C$/L which works out to 4.72C$/USg (1.25*3.78) which is then 3.60U$/USg (4.72/1.31).

Edit: here's an online calculator that'll figure it out in either direction https://www.mississauga4sale.com/Gas...gallons-us.htm
I paid it on East side of Lake Superior about 75 miles south of Thunder Bay at a big truck stop. The conversion to us gallon was $5.72. $200 got me 34+- gallons. Diesel in Illinois now is $2.60 +- a gallon. That is the lowest i seen it for a while. Gas is about $2.05 a gallon
johnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:27 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
I paid it on East side of Lake Superior about 75 miles south of Thunder Bay at a big truck stop. The conversion to us gallon was $5.72. $200 got me 34+- gallons. Diesel in Illinois now is $2.60 +- a gallon. That is the lowest i seen it for a while. Gas is about $2.05 a gallon
I suspect you got bit at White River Junction.. Its the only stop for many miles I travel Maine to Thunder Bay often and try anything to avoid fill up there. Terrace Bay and Nipigon are usually a little bit better as they are closer to TB which has a petroleum terminal.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #63

I travel with potable water in the tanks. Last season, the well pump at campground we were staying at broke, and was down until the next day. Good thing we had water to use. When I get back home I drain the tanks and refill before heading out to our next adventure.
trashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:48 PM   #64

Just as a word of caution:

We traveled with full water tank for +5,000 mile last year. The problem was that the CCC of our trailer was only 750 pounds, fresh water already being 250 pounds of that. Then, I added a second propane tank and the wife added a new, heavy mattress. The end result was a bent axle.

Before the trip, I actually reinforced the straps holding the fresh water tank, out of fear that it would fall off. Of course, when we brought it in to the dealer for the bent axle, they saw that and said it was our mistake overloading it, so they didn't cover it under warranty. It was a Starcraft 18BHS, less than 2 years old. We traded it in for a Jayco, which we will pick up in April (my first post on this forum).

So, be sure you know your CCC and trailer axle ratings before you travel with full tanks. Our axle rating was really marginal. I made sure to not make the same mistake again buying the new trailer.
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencenerd View Post
Just as a word of caution:
snip...
So, be sure you know your CCC and trailer axle ratings before you travel with full tanks. Our axle rating was really marginal. I made sure to not make the same mistake again buying the new trailer.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new Jayco.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:53 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new Jayco.

Thanks for the welcome. I already learned a lot from the forum, so thanks to everyone.

Not to derail the thread, but we bought a X213, can't wait to pick it up.

As to the topic: It has a 5,500 lbs GWVR, with each of the two axles having a 3,000 lbs rating, meaning that there is some weight buffer with regard to the axles.

Our old trailer had a 3,500 pound axle rating for a single axle. With a GVWR of 3,900 pound, that meant that some of the weight of the whole trailer was on the tongue. The dealer set us up with a 750 pound WDH, which I think was too stiff, distributing too much weight back to the trailer axle, thus overloading it even without towing with full water tanks.

That's why it is so important to look at the numbers in detail before making the buying decision.
sciencenerd is offline   Reply With Quote