Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2018, 04:33 PM   #1

Anyone with a 12 volt TV?

Wanting to find/run a 32" minimum TV off of 12 volt power so I don't have to have shore power or the generator running after 10:00pm. Anyone have this setup? Can you tell me about it and where you might have gotten it?
qdude79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:37 PM   #2
Site Team

This may be of some use for you.

https://campaddict.com/12-volt-tv/
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #3

We got this friggin cheap TV at Wal Mart. It works quite well though I thought we would beat it up in the confines of our trailer
https://www.amazon.com/TVD1801-22-22.../dp/B00JZTVPWE

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #4

You will pay more for an "RV tv" but it will be money well spent. In most cases they have been shock and temperature tested to withstand the rigors of camping. You can use a residential TV, less money, but it may not last as long and you'll be buying a new one again. Check out this link,
sbarlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:57 PM   #5

I use what I call my duty Power Inverter to run my small wattage home entertainment items and other 120VAC (lights etc) off my battery bank when needed.

My VIZIO 22-inch size HDTV does not draw alot of power from the Power Inverter to operate.

My Power Inverter is a AIMS 600WATT Pure Sign wave model (AMAZON) but I seldom ever pull that many watts from it. It usually only is pulling less than 100WATTS.

Of course if you are going to use the on-board battery it will have to beefed up some to be able operate additional 12VDC items during the evening and not go below the 50% charge state before being recharged again back up to its 90% charge state. You will probably need to have at least 220AH battery setup to run additional 12VDC items during the evening. Just having a single battery on-board will not give you long term performance before dropping its service. The rule of thumb I follow is to not let my on-board battery bank set-up drop below the 12.0VDC charge state when being used.

Lots of info on this subject on-line...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:29 PM   #6

Thank you, everyone! Good sources, and yes, I'm running dual Interstate GC2-ECL-UTLs with built in solar. Wanted to take advantage by being able to use as much 12 volt as possible for low-draw items like this.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:42 PM   #7

So, RoyBraddy, are you using the power inverter for just the tv, or are you running ALL of your AC outlets (essentially plugging the trailer in to the inverter being run off of the batteries)?
Old 01-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #8

qdude79 - I have two DROP CORD locations in my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer with one near the Home Entertainment area and the second position back by a table top where we sleep. This is always on whether we are on shore power or just running off the batteries. I just plug the 120VAC units into these two drop cords that have multiple 120VAC receptacles type drop cords.

I actually run most of my Home Entertainment off the Power Inverter all the time - even when we are on Shore Power or Generator. Never see any disruption...

You can see these two locations in this floorplan drawing..

Roy's image

There really was not enough needs to have my few wired 120VAC receptacles on the Power Inverter. If I had a larger trailer then I probably would want to do what you are asking about...

As you can see in the drawing I also have second POWER INVERTER running 1500WATTS Pure Sine wave but it is too much power drain for my present battery setup. It also had a problem where it would trip my Ground fault detection GFCI breakers. It is installed but not used. I would just hookup a short jumper between the Shore power cable and the 1500WAtt 120VAc output connector on the side of the trailer as indicated in the drawing. A later project when I get a bigger battery bank to handle it...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #9

I bought my 12 volt tv from Best Buy. I am not sure of the size but the brand is Insignia. It works great and see no reason that trailer usage will be detrimental to its life. For the price if it only lasts a couple of years I can afford another one.
Redslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:38 PM   #10

Roy- This is interesting! Any reason to NOT plug the trailer into a power inverter to power the small stuff at night (charge a few laptops, phones, and run two TVs)?

I know that each of these things could be run with 12V adapters, but I'm thinking of family with CPAP machines and the cost of 12V TVs vs just installing a power inverter...

On the flipside of the issue, how much battery would be wasted going through an inverter vs running straight 12V?

Thoughts?