Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2018, 08:00 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
My "China bombs" are rated to 75. Your comments aren't really helpful.

OP, If I was buying tires I would spend a little more and get something that is generally considered to be much better quality. I am actually heading out this morning to get Endurance E rated tires put on my Jayco. From my research, the Endurance tires have a much stiffer sidewall than the OEM tires put on by Jayco. That should help with heat and stability. I got the tires during the Labor Day sale with $80 off a set of 4 plus $25 giftcard if you paid for installation through Goodyear.
If yours are rated at 75mph then I wasn't talking to you. It was for someone that might be looking for cheap trailer tires. Their several companies that still make j speed rated (68 mph). It's called research. You do it on a computer.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:17 PM   #42

You lumped all Chinese tires together. I called you out on it. Do your own research and avoid being wrong, and I'll try not to call you out again. Deal?

Good talk, see you out there...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:44 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
You lumped all Chinese tires together. I called you out on it. Do your own research and avoid being wrong, and I'll try not to call you out again. Deal?

Good talk, see you out there...
Your correct. I do lump most of the Chinese tires together. They are many treads about tires here and with few exceptions (Sailun) most blow out within two years and cause trailer damage. That's why they call them China Bombs. If you think that's not true why did you go to Goodyear.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:05 AM   #44
Site Team

Play nice people!

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:29 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDusty View Post
Play nice people!
He's a grumpy little elf, isn't he?

To answer him for the last time... My tires have performed flawlessly for almost 5 years and were simply worn down to the wear bars. It was time to replace them. Rather than simply say "THESE ARE CHINA BOMBS", I evaluated what I had and the results I experienced. They were perfectly fine tires at the end of their life expectancy.

While there was nothing wrong with them as OEM tires, I wanted to upgrade to E rated tires. The Goodyears were on sale and have a good reputation. For minimal cost difference, I got tires that friends and family have gotten and recommended to me. Given the option, the Goodyears appear to be better... which doesn't mean the OEMs were horrible like you broadly claim.

You made the incorrect claim about all "China bomb" tires and speed ratings. Your comments were wrong and not on topic too the OPs question. Don't get angry at ME because you were wrong and off topic.

Relax. Go camping. Look at a campfire. Unwind... you and I are finished talking.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #46

Are Towmax tires any good?

I ended up getting Carlisle 205/75-14 in load range D. $426 for 5 installed out the door. Had other things on my mind and forgot to check if they balanced them.
Sound like trailer tires often are not balanced. Any thoughts on this.
Also kinded “moderator edit “when I got home and checked the date codes they are from the 29 and 30th week of 2017. Gonna call the shop tomorrow and see if they will do anything for me since i read trailer tire should be replaced every 6 years or so and they are already 25% there from age. It was a local tire place that has great reputation, local RV place even suggested them over themselves.
pajeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajeepman View Post
I ended up getting Carlisle 205/75-14 in load range D. $426 for 5 installed out the door. Had other things on my mind and forgot to check if they balanced them.

Also kinded “moderator edit “when I got home and checked the date codes they are from the 29 and 30th week of 2017. Gonna call the shop tomorrow and see if they will do anything for me since i read trailer tire should be replaced every 6 years or so and they are already 25% there from age. It was a local tire place that has great reputation, local RV place even suggested them over themselves.

I go with 5 yrs for aging out tires on something that goes a long way from home at highway speeds. My Z28 doesn't get far from home so not worried abut that one if they aren't cracked. My Sailuns aren't balanced. I figure new tires are cheaper than repairing damage from a blowout so I don't worry so much about the annual cost.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:03 AM   #48

Quote:
Also kinded “moderator edit”when I got home and checked the date codes they are from the 29 and 30th week of 2017. Gonna call the shop tomorrow and see if they will do anything for me since i read trailer tire should be replaced every 6 years or so and they are already 25% there from age. It was a local tire place that has great reputation, local RV place even suggested them over themselves.
Welcome to the forum.

Discount Tire balanced my trailer tires when new (Goodyear Endurance). Before buying those tires, Discount Tire rotated and balanced my OEM (Rainier) tires several times at no charge.

When I bought my truck's Continental tires at Discount Tire, they had to order them. When they arrived, I had them check the date codes to be sure they were less than 1 year old.

I take my TT and TV in every ~5,000mi and they rotate and balance all the tires at no charge. Did I mention that Discount Tire has been GREAT? [emoji6]
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #49

Quote:
snip... Had other things on my mind and forgot to check if they balanced them.
snip...
It's true that most trailer tires are not balanced. The idea is that a balanced tire is a "ride comfort" issue. No one's riding in the trailer to be annoyed by a vibrating tire, so why bother? I disagree. I can't see how an unbalanced tire will last as long as one that is balanced. Since we replace them on the calendar instead of the tread, it may never matter, but still...

The other thing IMO is that an unbalanced tire will create more vibration and turbulence in the entire trailer. Stuff is not properly attached all over the place anyway, and stuff vibrating loose from regular usage is bad enough. Add in constant vibration from an out of balance tire, and things get worse. And I'm not even talking about the extra wear on the suspension...

So, for a travel trailer, I would have my tires balanced, and in fact I DID have them balanced when I replaced mine. Of course, I want them balanced in the motorhome too, but I've only had a chance to get the front ones done while I was in for some alignment work (another discussion).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:16 PM   #50

No, Towmax tires are made in China. I had a new set on my 5th wheel trailer, at just shy of 800 Miles I had a blowout. Towmax did refund $$ for defective tires. I replaced all 4-tires, 22,000 miles later I have had no problems.
Chande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:18 PM   #51

Has anyone install the Roadmaster Comfort Ride Slipper Spring System and Comfort Ride Shocks on their 5th wheel trailer? If so, what do you think?
Chande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:31 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chande View Post
Has anyone install the Roadmaster Comfort Ride Slipper Spring System and Comfort Ride Shocks on their 5th wheel trailer? If so, what do you think?
Would be best to start a thread for that question and either put it in the Mods section or under Fifth Wheel.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:22 PM   #53

Has anyone had any experience with Kendra Karrier tires? They got great reviews on eTrailer but I've never see their name come up in any tire discussions on this site. Just wondering.
jlawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:29 PM   #54

They are just another China made economy tire like many others out there. One of those tires, in my opinion, that if they are already on your trailer and aren't too old or showing signs of age/damage/failure, you could continue running them for a while longer with proper maintenance and monitoring.

If you have the opportunity, or are in the required position of replacing tires, there is no reason to choose a tire of this level when there are better options out there.

Edit: I have Kenda Dirt Dog tires on my Honda Big Red 3 wheeler and they're awesome! LOL completely different world than trailers
Old 01-27-2019, 06:05 PM   #55

Thanks for the information. In that case it looks like it's either Goodyear Endurance or Carlisle HD tires for me. They both have an excellent reputation but the Goodyear is about $150 more for a set of load range D tires.
jlawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:37 PM   #56

After running my TowMax load range C tires for 5 years without incident (thankfully), I had Goodyear Endurance load range D put on my trailer. They are a far superior tire and I have no concerns now when towing, and they make the trailer tow nicer too. I now run close to the 65psi rating and it feels great.