Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2022, 07:35 PM   #1

As I Dig Deeper

After five years or so of owning my current TT I'm starting to see how really sloppy they build. I needed to restring my shades and when I removed it I see the totally missed the actual mounting hole and just screwed through the upper rail. It held up just fine and I would have never known if the string hadn't broke.

I'm rebuilding the bed support finally after switching to a regular queen bed and the miscut plywood and defective dimensional lumber that was there is sad. Again it worked but it doesn't inspire confidence.

I guess I'm sitting here mostly amazed on how they can slap these together and they actually work.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:41 PM   #2

Smile

We used to call those 'built on beer Fridays' But i think Jayco builds most of theirs on Beer Friday, Monday and Wednesday. If you get one built on Tuesday or Thursday, then you are the lucky dog.
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
After five years or so of owning my current TT I'm starting to see how really sloppy they build. I needed to restring my shades and when I removed it I see the totally missed the actual mounting hole and just screwed through the upper rail. It held up just fine and I would have never known if the string hadn't broke.

I'm rebuilding the bed support finally after switching to a regular queen bed and the miscut plywood and defective dimensional lumber that was there is sad. Again it worked but it doesn't inspire confidence.

I guess I'm sitting here mostly amazed on how they can slap these together and they actually work.
Many of us, probably most of us, have had that same thought.

This was part of my post in a different thread a couple of weeks ago: When you look at a new RV what you can see looks clean and neat. When you look under something it looks like a bomb went off.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:05 AM   #4

10 years ago I bought a 1992 Dutchman 34ft. TT. I still have it and we use it for our "guest cottage" on our family campground. When I first got it, I was amazed at the quality of workmanship and materials of everything... furnishings, fixtures, electrical, plumbing, etc. All appliances and components are still in good working order. There is a sticker next to the entrance door with the slogan "If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much!"

Too bad we probably will never see the attention to detail and the commitment to quality in the RV industry ever again.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote