Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2018, 05:28 AM   #1

Atwood furnace, bad design.

Last year on the way up from Florida my furnace started cycling on and off while driving with the thermostat off. So long story short, main board got wet and fried it. Apparently its a problem with a lot of these newer units. For those of you who are the diy type, here's a simple fix. Amazon sells replacement boards for under $100. I got the dinosaur brand based on reviews. Disconnect old board, feed wires above furnace, attach new board.

*Disclaimer*

Keep in mind by doing this it will void any kind of warranty (its also easily reversible) and is considered a fire hazard for having the board outside the actual unit. I'm currently looking for a small plastic electronics case to enclose it for that reason.

I think water is freezing around the outside access panel and unseating it from the furnace housing allowing more water to drip into the normally sealed electronics compartment. There's theories water is getting past the louvers near the exhaust but I don't think thats the case. The board is in a separate sealed compartment from the louvers. I'll post some pics for reference.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:51 AM   #2

This is where I will encase the board above the furnace and below the fridge. High and dry. The dinosaur board also has spacers at the mounting points to keep it raised off whatever you mount it on.

Its also worth noting this board will not fit in the stock location anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
relocated board.jpg  
Old 10-13-2018, 05:57 AM   #3

Here's another photo showing the original location circled in red.
Attached Thumbnails
furnace after.jpg