Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-31-2014, 12:58 PM   #1

Atwood Furnace issue

Noticing a problem with my Atwood Furnace. Bear in mind, the control board was replaced right after the unit was delivered. That's when I found out there was no access to furnace and a hole had to be cut in basement storage to remove furnace to replace control board. I had noticed the unit not lighting all the time but on this camping trip, I decided to watch it closely. Some times the unit will try to ignite 3 times and shut off without ever lighting. It sits for awhile and then tries again, sometimes with same results. You can hear the igniter clicking and it is as if there is no fuel there. However, I turn on the stove and it lights easily each and every time. The unit has shut down during the night and the temps will drop down into the 50's inside the unit. We get up in the morning and recycle the thermostat and it may come on or not. Same process, igniter clicks up to three times and either ignites or doesn't. It is almost as if there is no fuel at the burner. This is a new unit and you can't get to it to service it so I was wondering if anyone has experience with this.
Thanks for your responses.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:53 AM   #2

it does sound like it is not getting gas, I would see if there is a shut off valve on the gas line that is partially closed, also make sure the gas line is not kinked.
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:58 PM   #3

Take it back to the dealer, and have them trouble shot it. I have had furnace a/c problems, blk tank gage problems stove vent problems. At first I felt like a pain taking it in and complaining, not so much anymore. I paid good money for it.
Bill
BillMc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:55 PM   #4

Bill, not to worry, I will be taking it in. We are leaving on another trip Monday and the Polar Plunge will be in full effect by mid week. We will be using the furnace and noting the discrepancies in it's operation to help out the tech. As this unit is not accessible by owner, they will have to pull the furnace out for service. We are going to try and make as many notes as possible this week to help them out. We are also taking a couple portable ceramic heaters along just in case. We will drop the unit off Friday on our way home from our trip. I will let everyone know what the outcome is after we get the unit back. Safe Camping to all.

Joe Hinson
Old 02-06-2015, 08:22 PM   #5

Well, we took the 5th wheel back in to the dealer. They trouble shooted for several days and said the issue was the thermostat on the wall. I disagreed as that was a brand new digital thermostat that I had put on myself. So, they replaced it and out we went with our unit. Got our unit back two weeks ago. We had company last weekend so we let them stay in the house and we stayed in our 5th wheeler. Lo and behold, it was doing the same thing. It would try to ignite three times and shut down. YOu would have to turn it off and back on again. So, we took the unit this past week back into the dealer and dropped it off again. It finally failed on them and they had to restart it. They got in touch with Atwood and walked through the trouble shooting. They thought it might be the ceramic igniter. Finally had to pull the furnace out of the unit and put it on the bench and run it. There you could actually see the spark jumping outside the igniter from a crack in the ceramic. Sometimes it would ignite and sometimes it would not. They replaced the igniter and today we got our unit back. We are loading up to leave for Savannah for a week Monday morning. We will find out then if the problem is fixed. Sounds to me like that should have taken care of our problem.

Joe Hinson
Old 02-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #6

Joe, sounds like they got it right this time, good job sticking to your guns on it not being the thermostat. I had to replace the igniter on our Atwood water heater for the same reason. Fortunately the access was a lot easier. Happy camping, the Savannah area is beautiful.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:27 AM   #7

Did you put the digital unit back on?
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote