Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2022, 05:52 PM   #1

Atwood Water Heater Leaking - CG6AA-10E

I'm new to the Jayco owners and posting hoping someone can help with a leaking water heater. I have a 2010 Jayco Jay Flight G2 25RKS

My story: I winterized, and bypassed the water heater. This is the 8th year I have done the exact same procedure.

Today I discovered a small leak in the hot water output (top) connection on the tank. Water was dripping from the bottom of the top tank insert where the PEX female connector screws on. I first thought it was a cone washer that failed and replaced it. Not so much.

I have attached two photos, #1 is an overview of the back of the tank, showing both the cold intake (on bottom) and the hot output (top). #2 is a close up zoom of just the top hot output.

I made two observations for #2 the closeup.

First, the female PEX connector appears to screw onto a gray plastic insert which threads into the tank. I know its plastic, when I had it apart to replace the cone washer. It looks like a plumber’s putty was used to seal the insert.

Second, if you expand the close-up photo for a closer view, you will see a very small horizonal crack just below the insert corner (6'oclock position). This is where I believe the water drip is coming from. To be sure, I used paper towel on the gray outer device treads to see if the cone washer was the source - it was not. The water drip collects right at the crack.

Attwood - Dometic has discontinued this model and I not finding any parts, i.e., a new gray plastic threaded insert for the hot output.

I hoping someone will have some insight that may help me.

When I googled plumbers’ putty, it suggests one reason to use it, was the threads are not bonded and the threaded connection can be removed. Not sure about that.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
CG6AA-10E Water Leak #1 Overview.jpg   CG6AA-10E Water Leak #2 Zoom.jpg  
Ewad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 05:59 PM   #2
Site Team

That grey fitting is a check valve. Get a new one made of brass and seal it with Teflon tape. Hopefully that will fix you up. I would replace the sealant on the cold side with Teflon tape also.

There are lots of threads that detail the procedure for replacing it on JOF.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 08:09 PM   #3

Follow-up to OP. The grey plastic insert thought to be check valve turned out to be a coupler. It backed out quite easily, surprisingly so. I figured that was the reason it was leaking - pipe dope was compromised over the past 12 years.

I had already purchased a brass check valve (CV), so I installed it. I used Teflon thread tape to seal the valve.

After getting the CV installed, I filled the tank, to see if the water leak was fixed -- it was not, and leaked in the same exact spot at the coupler.

I turned on the gas to heat the water to see if heat would help seal the Teflon. It did not. See attached pic. Note what appears as water calcium (?) staining on the tank from the initial leak - which must have been ongoing for awhile.

Removed the CV and re-taped with Teflon tape, using far more than the first attempt. The CV did not seat into the tank flange as far as it did the first attempt - I'm guessing because of the added thickness of the extra tape. The leak reappeared, only much less. I put a wrench on the CV and gave it more torque - its really tight!! At this point, the leak has disappeared.

I initially thought there may be a hair-line crack in the tank CV flange, but ruled that out, because the additional thickness of the re-taped CV would increase the crack, especially so when I torqued tighter.

At this point, the CV is not leaking, but not sure I trust it to hold. I re-heated the tank water and ran really hot water through the CV to see if anything changed - it did not, -- not leaking.

Unless I'm missing something, its matter of keeping an eye on it for leaks.

I'm still puzzled by the new CV with Teflon Tape leaking in the same exact spot as the coupler with Pipe Dope.

Any insight is welcomed!!!
Attached Thumbnails
New CV Leak.jpg  
Ewad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 05:58 AM   #4
Site Team

That location is a very common leak point in every rv I have owned. Maybe from the weight and bouncing around but I just check mine every so often and make sure it's tight.

You may have found the sweet spot where it does not leak. Sure hope so.

PS, I think that back in 2010 they may not have put the check valve on but either way it's a place to inspect.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 05-04-2022, 06:06 AM   #5

During my engineering career, I worked on a project for a company to eliminate leaks in pipes for the products the company made. What I determined is that Teflon tape does a really poor job of sealing pipes. Yes, almost everyone uses it but it is really a poor sealant. I would suggest getting some 565™ PST® Thread Sealant. Remove all traces of teflon tape from the male and female threads, apply the PST and to the fitting let it set for an hour or so before pressurizing and your leak should be fixed.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:12 AM   #6
Site Team

I concur!
I use teflon tape and loads of it because it's so easy but it is not infallible and easily replaced with a good grade of pipe sealant , that is heat proof.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 05-04-2022, 08:24 AM   #7

I use Loctite 565 often - Some of the greatest stuff out there...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
... What I determined is that Teflon tape does a really poor job of sealing pipes. Yes, almost everyone uses it but it is really a poor sealant.
Couldn't agree more. There are actually several types of T-tape performance specs and blue is recommended for water fittings, yellow for both liquid or vapor gas fittings etc. White tape is spec'd for lubricating threads. Last I knew there were over 6 color codes for specific applications. Most plumbers I know only use enhanced pipe dope for both since it works, is one product does all, is simple to use and most building codes where I've been don't permit tape.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 12:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I concur!
I use teflon tape and loads of it because it's so easy but it is not infallible and easily replaced with a good grade of pipe sealant , that is heat proof.
Loctite 565 is good to 300 degrees F., your RV water heater should never get that hot.
Old 05-04-2022, 12:36 PM   #10

More better: https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/...e_si_5331.html

RPM International owns the Henkel/Loctite brands and is located 3 miles from my house. A neighbor is the one who recommended this stuff to me about 12 years ago.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 10:34 AM   #11

I have exactly the same problem, on what I believe is exactly the same water heater... mine is a 6 gallon in a 2010 Jayco 32BHDS travel trailer (which will remain parked on its current site until I sell it!).

What Check Valve did you use? A link to a spec/purchase location would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

2010 Jayco 32 BHDS (stationary)
ChrisPinKitchener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 10:46 AM   #12

2010 Atwood water heater bypass valve failure

Hello all,

My 2010 Jayco 32 BHDS has what I recall is an Atwood 6 gallon water heater, with the 3 separate valve type bypass. Unfortunately, the valve to the top fitting (hot side) is now leaking (fortunately only when in the 'On' position, or we would have no water at all!).

I'm looking to replace this valve, but have questions...
1) What size valve am I looking for? (I have no experience working with PEX, only copper) Any suggestions for a specific valve?
2) What tips are there to remove the hose clamps? I'm thinking hacksaw or dremel and a pair of good pliers.
3) Suggestions on replacement hose clamps... are 'standard' hose clamps good enough?

The sharp-eyed out there will also notice evidence of a slow leak on the hot water fitting. The leak is from the pipe dope around the grey insert to which the 90 degree elbow connects. I plan on carefully removing that fitting and adding more pipe dope and replacing it. Should I replace the grey insert with a check valve, and is there a specific check valve to use?

Thank you for your assistance,

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Jayco Water Heater by Atwood.jpg  

2010 Jayco 32 BHDS (stationary)
Old 06-26-2023, 10:52 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPinKitchener View Post
I have exactly the same problem, on what I believe is exactly the same water heater... mine is a 6 gallon in a 2010 Jayco 32BHDS travel trailer (which will remain parked on its current site until I sell it!).

What Check Valve did you use? A link to a spec/purchase location would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris
Welcome to the Forum!

This is the check valve I purchased as a spare to replace our OE if and when it fails. Available on Amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-P234...7797911&sr=8-3

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 11:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPinKitchener View Post
Hello all,

My 2010 Jayco 32 BHDS has what I recall is an Atwood 6 gallon water heater, with the 3 separate valve type bypass. Unfortunately, the valve to the top fitting (hot side) is now leaking (fortunately only when in the 'On' position, or we would have no water at all!).

I'm looking to replace this valve, but have questions...
1) What size valve am I looking for? (I have no experience working with PEX, only copper) Any suggestions for a specific valve?
2) What tips are there to remove the hose clamps? I'm thinking hacksaw or dremel and a pair of good pliers.
3) Suggestions on replacement hose clamps... are 'standard' hose clamps good enough?

The sharp-eyed out there will also notice evidence of a slow leak on the hot water fitting. The leak is from the pipe dope around the grey insert to which the 90 degree elbow connects. I plan on carefully removing that fitting and adding more pipe dope and replacing it. Should I replace the grey insert with a check valve, and is there a specific check valve to use?

Thank you for your assistance,

Chris
Welcome aboard!

If you can go to Home Depot, that is where I bought the crimp fittings like you have. I have not seen them at Menards, never looked at Lowes. It is 1/2 pex tubing, there is an irrigation version too, so make sure to grab the correct rings, they are different and irrigation will not clamp down tight enough. They also have a crimping tool (irrigation section), I paid about $12 for mine 5 years ago. The rings are super easy to apply.

To remove the old metal ring, I just used a 6-7" side cutter. and clipped the metal ears off the ring.

As for the fitting at the tank. I had the exact same one leak on me too. First time I just tightened up the pipe nipple. It held nice for a year, than it started leaking again. Second time I removed it, cleaned it, and applied Teflon tape and pipe dope. No more leaks.

Not the tool I bought, but it is very simular
https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-Tools-...17856788&psc=1

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 09:31 PM   #15

Thank you!

I have ordered appropriate bits (including some Loctite 565) off Amazon; I’ll put my plumbing skills to the rest this weekend.

Funny story: Back in the day I worked as a consultant at the Oetiker plant in Ontario that made most (all?) of the ear type clamps in the North American market. I guess I should have picked up a crimping tool while I was there!

ChrisP

Tags
atwood water heater, bypass, valve replacement, water heater