Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #1

automatic regulator issues (red green indicator)

I am full-timing in the panhandle of North Texas. I recently left for Thanksgiving, and before I left, I flipped the regulator from the (green) indication 30# tank to the (should be full) 100# tank. I arrived back from my Thanksgiving holiday to about a 40° trailer. I slept in it one night like that. The next day I found that both my 100 and 30# were empty. The only way that could happen is if it leaked out, or if the indicator never flipped from green to red, and the 100# was already mostly used. I ran on this 100# during the coldest stretch of the winter last year and went through a 100# in 13 days. Then next day, my 30 and 100 were refilled, and I found out why my furnace was not igniting. I remained running off a 30# tank, and carefully watched my indicator, and the frost level on the tank. Yesterday morning I registered little to no propane left in the tank (from observation), and today it definitely should have been red (it was not). The good thing is it (the automatic regulator) apparently does still flip over to the other tank automatically. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone use alternate gauging, weighing systems etc. to determine gas level? Has anyone replaced their two stage automatic regulator, and is there one that is worth spending the money on for peace of mind during the winter months? I've had some people say don't trust any of them! Experience?
gratefulbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #2

I really do not care for them. When my one bottle is expended, I know to go fill it up. I prefer to manually switch over to the second bottle.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #3

There is no really accurate way of determining the liquid level inside a portable propane tank.

A just-filled tank will be full. You can pick up and slosh the smaller tanks to get a rough feel of remaining fuel.

Always set the pointer to the tank that you know has fuel in it. Refill the empty as soon as possible.

The window will show red only if the pointer is set to the empty tank and there is fuel in the other. Both tanks must have their valves open for auto-changeover to work.

If you have a leak, get it repaired quickly!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
Site Team

I just replaced mine because of a similar reason. The red/green indicator stopped working but the tank switch still occurred.

I purchased a new one and all is well.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:53 PM   #5

I had a similar issue with mine,with 2 full tanks it would stay red and never switch.I had to replace the entire assembly including the regulator which somehow grenaded itself to pieces internally

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automatic regulator, full-timing, furnace, propane, regulator