Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #21

We try to keep driving time to 5 or 6 hours. With gas stops and food stops we average 50-55 miles per hour so that gets us in the 250-330 miles per day. My wife has back issues so would prefer 4 hours per day. Most of the time we don't have any specific destination in mind for each leg of the journey. We figure if we don't really know where we are going what is the hurry to get there.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNelson View Post
Most of the time we don't have any specific destination in mind for each leg of the journey. We figure if we don't really know where we are going what is the hurry to get there.
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars. ( Charles Kuralt )

How many of you watched " On the Road " with Charles Kuralt every week.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars. ( Charles Kuralt )

How many of you watched " On the Road " with Charles Kuralt every week.
Used to love that show and yes I'm showing my age!
Op, non towing I drive 6-700 miles a day. Towing 4-500 depending on time constraint.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:37 PM   #24

CHERV We have a 2018 Alante 31V and love it.
HJ Rosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:41 AM   #25
tld

Like to go about 250 to 300 miles before stopping. Like to be in the RV park by around 3:30 or 4:00.
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:14 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
How many miles on avg. Do you travel in a day with your motorhome
It depends on the destination. Most of the time 350 to 400 miles. This summer we are doing the grand circle. Since I am about a far south as you can go, in order to maximize our time at the national parks, we'll be doing some 500 plus mile segments on the way out and back.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:02 PM   #27

We usually do 4-600 per day, and we've had a couple of 700+ days that weren't too bad. We have done 3 coast-to-coast round-trips since July, 2016 in our 2016 Alante 26, and that F-10 chassis is so darn comfortable to drive the miles don't seem to matter, more so after we got the suspension and steering beefed up. We like to stop for visits with friends and relatives along the way, and sometimes there's a schedule to keep for their convenience.
Michael Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherv View Post
How many miles on avg. Do you travel in a day with your motorhome
We do leave early, on the outbound portion of the trip and try to get as close to 400 miles as possible when leaving the state. Having said that, the majority of our trips are to Texas state parks and there are lots of those, usually closer than 400 miles, except of course for Big Bend and Ft. Davis!
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:56 PM   #29

I pull a 37 ft 5th wheel. We drive 350 to 400 miles a day. I find that allows me to arrive at my destination without being tired or stressed
DavidSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:58 PM   #30

MH driving

We try to 250 miles per day. Start around 10:00 am, drive till noon and stop for lunch, drive another 2 hours and stop, look for campground in area and then drive to it. Some days longer but very rare as we like back roads and a scenic drive. Journey is as important as destination. Retirement does have advantages.
Parhole1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:08 PM   #31

I figure 50mph average...so that's about 400 miles if I'm going across the country ("...with miles to go before I sleep"). We have no problem with 8 hrs on road. With breaks and gas stops, that's about 10 hrs in the truck. We do less if we are going regional or local...no rush then.
BTW, I'm one of those that can drive forever...so 400 miles is easy for us. Even on the Touring bike, I can go and go and go. I prefer to take my time and drive.
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:29 PM   #32

So many variables here. If I were towing a PUP or something light, didn't have 2 kids that needed to stop every 1.5 hours and I took major interstates from point A to B, I could probably go farther.

The 5500 lb brick dragging behind my truck makes for a long day of driving. If I were an OTR trucker and I was conditioned to this, it may make things easier. On our last, long trip (Kansas City to south central Colorado) we averaged 400 miles a day but I had a 475 mile day that really seemed to wear me down. I do all the driving, the DW just sits and navigates or reads. Driving thru SW Kansas and SE Colorado really made me sleepy.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:30 PM   #33

Depends on the purpose. If moving to a new park or area to explore try to stay under 400 miles. If trying to get to the relatives who are 1500 miles away, then have done some 10 hour days with stop for a quick dinner and shut eye. Going home usually try to go under 400 a day. With our Super C we can run 65 - 70 all day long without stress or tension.
Gunfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:51 PM   #34

I try to time my driving based on what time I want to arrive at my destination. I usually like to arrive at my final destination no later than about 3:00 in the afternoon. That usually gives me time to decompress, setup, and enjoy a relaxing evening that first night so I'm geared up for whatever activities I'm there for. Then I plan backwards from there.

So, we'll usually leave in the evening of our "first" travel day, stop for dinner, and stop for the night at a particular destination or 11:00, whichever comes first. It depends on if I can make our destination by 3:00 the next day. If the "second" day is a travel day, we'll go all day if we need to. Again, I'm aiming to be at my final destination no later than 3:00, so that drives everything back up the chain. If it's more than 2 full travel days, I will break it up so we spend one day in an "interim destination". I can't really do more than two full travel days with the whole family; I can do it when I'm by myself, but I don't generally travel that way.

When we towed a trailer, this was a little more difficult. Since we're in a motorhome now, we have everything at our fingertips and don't have to stop except for fuel, and even that is more on OUR terms now with the longer range a 55 gallon tank affords.

I also handle the bulk of the driving while DW is navigator, snack/drink getter, child entertainer, etc. But I don't mind it. I just settle in, try to set the cruise and just go. It's not too bad. When we stop for fuel, I make it a point to go in the store to use the facilities or just look around. Even that little bit of a walk makes a huge difference. And if I start to get drowsy, either DW takes over, or we stop for a longer break.

When I'm planning my routes, I use the trucker's old 50 mph rule, and that has generally proven out in my experience. Sometimes I can make better time than that, but most often that's about right, especially on a multi-day journey. So if I'm route planning, and have a leg more than 600 miles, I will try to break that out somehow while minimizing my time on the road to maximize my time at destination. That's why we routinely leave in the evening. I can get 300 miles in on that first evening, and it's after work, so that's one less day "off". Or more to the point, one more day at my destination. It's almost like "bonus" miles. The kid and the wife are often asleep by 9:00 or so, and I just settle in and rack up the miles.

Of course, if I were retired I would have a completely different outlook on this. But since I'm still a young professional, I only have a limited amount of time off, so we have to maximize that as best we can. Upside is that I own my business and can do A LOT of work from the road, so that's a factor too.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #35

What’s the hurry?

We average 250 miles per day.
Get our money’s worth out of the campgrounds by leaving at 11:00 am and check in at the next stop by 3-:00-4:00 pm.
SecondRetirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:05 PM   #36

As a solo driver, I have self-imposed rules: never, ever drive after after 4:00pm, stop every 90 to 100 miles to stretch my legs and walk my dog, leave at a reasonable hour in the morning to meet my destination and accomplish the above. ;I stay at campgrounds only when I need to take on water and/or dump, otherwise, just relax at Cracker Barrel or Wal-Mart. Average about 5 hours per day. Just right to stop and smell the flowers along the way.

Happy Trails, Bobbie
Dancingqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:13 PM   #37

For me it's the time, not the miles. Maximum is 8 hours not including two 30 minute breaks (Total 9 hours).
usafdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhole1 View Post
We try to 250 miles per day. Start around 10:00 am, drive till noon and stop for lunch, drive another 2 hours and stop, look for campground in area and then drive to it. Some days longer but very rare as we like back roads and a scenic drive. Journey is as important as destination. Retirement does have advantages.
Being retired does indeed have it's advantages. In addition to the journey, we try make a "destination" stop every 3rd day - travel two days and "stop over" on the 3rd day. We also try to limit our travels to back roads, scenic byways, and destinations off the beaten path, places you likely never encounter if your goal is only the destination.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:19 PM   #39

We like to drive only 3-4 hrs per day. We watch our tires carefully and don't drive over 55 miles per hour. We pull our northpoint with a diesel silverado. Getting into an rv park early in the day and when we are not tired makes the backin job easier. Love to spend the afternnoons in a new park meeting new people and enjoying the sites. We have one speed: Slow lol

ARMYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:59 PM   #40

Vacation days are precious

In my previous class A F-53 chassis, I could go long distance 1000 miles in a day, but it cost a pound of flesh. In the Seneca 1000-1200 are really not very taxing. When you have a week or ten days and live East of the Mississippi and prefer to be west of the Missouri for vacation you make the first leg to get where you want to be. Then miles and time are not critical just getting to what you want to see. Leave after working all day. By the time I get on the road traffic from evening rush is mostly gone. Drive all night while the kids sleep. Led light bar really helps on rural interstate night time travel.
Towing a vehicle
1.35 drivers
2 old folks
2 kids
1 dog
1 sleepiing wife
Purdue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote