Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #1

awning arm repair

I posted a similar question here before but haven't been able to find any answers. Packing up from my last trip, one of my manually extended awning arms jammed to the point that I couldn't extend or retract it. I couldn't see anything caught in the tract and had to leave so I had to use a rubber mallard to force it all the way down so it wouldn't stick up and catch branches or air while traveling... All week I've tried to get it to move but no good. I'm not trying to make it worse in case it's still fixable.....

Does anyone know where I can find a video on how to take the arms apart, or a schematic of how it works, maybe an exploded view?
And or, can I take just the one arm off so I can work on it on the bench and figure it out myself? This is the first thing that's gone wrong that I haven't been able to figure out and I'm beyond frustrated....any help would be appreciated.
Leo801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:23 PM   #2

Try some PB Blaster from auto parts store. Its what many mechanics use on frozen nuts and bolts. Apply at top, let gravity take it down. I have no idea what might have happened, but you might have a part that broke off jamming it up. I have sun weakend plastic bits on mine, so I looked at this thread and hope to find possible replacements instead of spending big on a whole new one.

You're saying the solid track bit that goes from bottom of awning frame up to the roller, that is extended and stuck? The top part that has the handle that flips out, that won't go back down? On mine, its only secured by the handle that extends a pin that fits in those holes along the channel. Did the pin retract? Its easy to see on mine, its a C channel.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:01 PM   #3

I used PB Blaster for over a week..actually sprayed it down at the camp site the night I was closing up and re tried in the morning , I always have PB blaster, I was an ASE master auto technician for 20 years, I NEVER leave home without it..LoL..(Best penetrate ever made) But yes, the track (inside of the c channel) that's attached to the TT VIA the pin and clamp screwed to the body, will not allow the outside channel with the handle to slide up (now) or down. I assume it's just a smaller C channel inside of the larger C channel. HOWEVER, I do appreciate your response because as usual, I'm always looking to complicate my life and never considered that even though I see the pin retract from the whole in the smaller channel, there could be parts I can NOT see that are broken and locking up the slides, SO tomorrow , I will drill the rivets from the handle and see if there's any parts jamming up the works.. HOW in the world I didn't think of that is beyond me but thanks for the idea
Old 09-01-2015, 11:05 PM   #4

P.S- If I can't figure this out, You JUST MIGHT have found those replacement parts you were looking for as I'm about to just remove the whole darn thing and use beach umbrellas...And my plastic is like new..
Old 09-01-2015, 11:10 PM   #5

I have used mine...uhh...twice and can barely operate it as I have to think about what comes next and sort of trial and error on the steps needed...I had to have a buddy show me how it worked on my used TT.... so that I was able to help you in some way is a bit funny! Hope that helps. I have worked restoring / maintaining cars for a buddy as a side job, love the PB too! Look at both ends again, and are they both hung up, or just one side? With me its usually user error. If its only one side and you can compare the good one with the other, you may not have to drill anything.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:30 AM   #6

It's just the one side, I've looked at both sides, I compared the two as far as looking for something that just looks different but they both look the same aside from the slide rod that moves the awning lever from lock to open.
I figured out how to use it on my own pretty easy, My only problem was the strap was reeled in almost all the way and I'm only six foot tall, So, called dad who's 6'9" and had him come over to pull it open the first time (I didn't have the hook rod yet). I'll be sure to let you know what I find.
Any luck with your plastic parts?
Old 09-02-2015, 05:02 AM   #7
Site Team

Are you verifying that all the locking nuts are loose to allow free movement of the arm?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...S0mqQ2841N7zog
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:12 AM   #8

Sounds to me like the outer channel may have gotten bent somehow???

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Are you verifying that all the locking nuts are loose to allow free movement of the arm?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...S0mqQ2841N7zog
Yes, Unfortunately I am sure all locking devices are unlocking, I wish it was that easy..
But I think maybe the outer arm DID get bent.