Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #1

Awning disasters

I'd like to hear from those who have experienced catastrophic events with their awning due to wind. Please describe the situation and include any methods that you used to secure it (if any). I'm trying to determine how many incidents occurred when the awning was tied down to the earth, such as with corkscrew doggie stakes, auger style earth anchors, and ratchet straps.

If your awning was destroyed by filling up with rainwater those don't count. Wind related only.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:11 AM   #2

Our awning was not destroyed, but it was banging around like it was going to rip off the trailer. We added four awning clips from walmart and this has provided a huge improvement in stability. I have not tried the feature where you put the legs down in the ground. Our awning arms/legs? are attached at the bottom of our trailer.

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #3

I had mine rip off the trailer. I had it tied down with those dog type screw thing in the ground. Ripped them out of the ground. Also lifted the trailer off the front jack and block and sunk in the ground. Had to go back to the house and get a floor jack to lift up the trailer high enough to get back on the block of wood. Also had some lights hanging on the awning and the next morning I collected all the stuff except for an extension cord. Thought to myself were did that thing go. Decided to look up in the trees and low and behold there it was. Scared the children a bit as we were in the trailer when this occurred. Live and learn and now I bring that thing in whenever it looks like rain.
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
I had mine rip off the trailer. I had it tied down with those dog type screw thing in the ground. Ripped them out of the ground. Also lifted the trailer off the front jack and block and sunk in the ground. Had to go back to the house and get a floor jack to lift up the trailer high enough to get back on the block of wood. Also had some lights hanging on the awning and the next morning I collected all the stuff except for an extension cord. Thought to myself were did that thing go. Decided to look up in the trees and low and behold there it was. Scared the children a bit as we were in the trailer when this occurred. Live and learn and now I bring that thing in whenever it looks like rain.
How high did winds get? It sounds like small tornado to do all that.
Grunge Grown Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #5

We had wind damage to the awning twice with our first trailer (purchased in 2007). Both times it was when we left iy unattended with the awing deployed. Neither time was the awning anchored. Both times, we returned to find the awning hanging over the top of the unit and the awning rods bent - never actually damaged the fabric. Ordered replacement parts off the Internet and fixed it myself.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #6

Just a couple of weeks ago we were camping at a campground right off Lake Michigan. As I learned later, storms blowing off the lake are a pretty common thing even if they're not forecasted. Around 12:30am I was just about to drift off the sleep when our 23B Feather started suddenly rocking from some wind guests. Went outside to start taking the awning down but it was too late. One side snapped loose both top and bottom and started blowing around. Luckily had some great neighbors that heard and they came out and helped me secure it and roll it up before I lost the other side.

I had someone from a local RV shop come out with their mobile truck and replace both upper brackets as well as one of the feet (which had been ripped in half as it pulled up from the rivets. I honestly wasn't sure how I would have gotten it home had they not been able to come by and fix it.

I have since bought some Camco deflappers and I think this will help as I did notice that right before it went, it started flapping around a lot.

I'd like to stake it to the ground. I've seen members here write about how they get ratchet ties, but I'm not sure what kind you would buy and how they'd attach to the actual awning. Also, with two young kids (3 and 1) this is just two more things for them to trip over. But it's probably worth it.

Any help anybody could provide (Amazon link to exact ratchet sets?) on adding that would be helpful. We have a Carefree Colorado awning, 15' wide I think.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #7

I've seen awnings that were tied down hold firm in some very high winds. It probably depends on how well the anchors are put down and what straps you use. I got just a 2 pack of general use ratchet straps from walmart for $10. They are quite strong. To attach to the awning, I wrap around the round part of the awning once on each end, then on the second wrap around hook the strap on itself. Works like a charm. Also, if I do decide i need to just roll the thing up, when i drop the awning sides down it takes the tension off the straps and they come off quite easily that way.
I've seen some tie down kits that use springs to attach to the augers in the ground, but i don't know about that. It seems like those springs, though they keep the tension in the line, can not be as strong as my straps in a high wind situation.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #8

Makes sense. Thanks!
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #9

Grunge

From what we speculated it was some kind of straight line wind. The neighbor was outside and he stated the wind went in the opposite direction instantly. At that point is when he said my awning took off. I believe there were quite a few other owning last at the CG that evening. Just glad we are OK.
smoothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #10

Our 5th wheel had an awning disaster before we bought it. The previous owners traded the unit in on a motorhome. This is the reason we have a nice new awning on our 5th wheel. It also put some scratches in the lower panel by the door. This is why we have the new tin panel. Also included in purchase.
Gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote