Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-25-2016, 08:05 AM   #1

Awning LED facing down vs sideways

Just purchased a Jayco Redhawk 26xd 3 weeks ago and i will be adding some awning LED lights. I have done a lot of research on this forum and wanted to ask of those that have installed which they prefer - installation on gutter facing down or adhering to side of trailer facing sideways. I have seen installations recommending both versions and want to know your thoughts. One install brighter than the other or does it even make a difference?
Thank you in advance.
BucketsII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:11 AM   #2

Congratulations on your Redhawk and welcome to the JOF.

Our Jay Flight has LED lights under the awning and are pointing down. We would like to be able to dim them a bit. Before mounting in either position, I suggest you try them before mounting them to see if you'd like some kind of brightness control.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:03 AM   #3

Congrats on your new purchase !!! I also have done some "research" on these as well and as luck would have it I stumbled across a guy selling some at alocal flea market at a 1/4 of the price. These came with a remote and a waterproof IR sensor so you could change the color and the brightness of the LEDs. IMHO I would opt for the various color model with the remote... I have rope lighting as well on my awning and was able to find a color choice to be an exact match. Secondly after you've strolled through the campground at night after a few adult beverages you can always find your site if you set it to a certain color LOL...
As for mounting them I used some good 3M automotive adhesive tape and mounted them under the awning rail on the trailer. I figured this would give them some sheilding from inclement weather while traveling or while camping....
You can find these on Amazon for under $50
http://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Weat.../dp/B006JUW77Y
Fill The Coolers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Our Jay Flight has LED lights under the awning and are pointing down.
That's weird... my 2015 JayFlight has them pointing sideways, so they reflect off the white underside of the awning.

In all honesty though, if they are equivalent to the factory LED strip, it doesn't really matter how you mount them, they will be BRIGHT! Heck, I'm sure you could mount them pointing UP at the awning or BACK at the camper and it would still be plenty bright!!!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #5

A friend has the factory white LEDs and they're obnoxious like surgical brightness LOL
Fill The Coolers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:21 AM   #6

Guys he is not asking about factory lights.. as he wants to know how to install them.

I have some on my roller tube and have them facing DOWN you don't want them shining in your eyes while sitting under the awning.. I highly recommend the 5M multi color lights from Amazon... I get mine from there for $7.00 with remote. You don't need the 120 volt power puck as they run off of 12VDC and that is the biggest expense.. It is easy to install a 12V power point in the skirting below the awning arm then run the power line up the awning arm to the roller tube where you have the controller very easy for most people to do..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:39 AM   #7

Well, from what I gather is that they are so bright that there is no difference pointing down to floor or sideways to awning. I purchased the one color (white) led lights that connects directly to 12 volt. I just ordered a dimmer switch, just in case it is too bright.
Thanks to all for responses provided.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #8
Wyn

I mounted a strip of LED lights on the awning rail with the lights pointing down. I figured the adhesive tape would be somewhat better protected that way versus mounting on the side of the RV. I don't know if it makes a difference regarding the light output. My lights have a remote dimmer so I can easily regulate the brightness. I also have the LED's on the roller tube, so if I need a lot of light I can turn both on. It is great for cooking outside after the sun goes down.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:47 AM   #9

How about in between?
I found a 45 degree angle "bracket/enclosure" that I installed under on the wall of my TT right under where my awning is mounted. Works great and really lights up the area right under the awning without being too bright for neighbors.
vtdanokim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #10

Thanks to all. Doing installation this weekend. Hope everything comes out ok
Old 04-07-2016, 03:09 PM   #11
Site Team

I hope you guys have better luck with them then I and two of my friends have had. We all installed them thinking they were really neat, you could adjust color, brightness, make them blink, etc. They are supposedly waterproof but due to the fact that the awning stays soaking wet when rolled up they failed within a year for all three of us.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I hope you guys have better luck with them then I and two of my friends have had. We all installed them thinking they were really neat, you could adjust color, brightness, make them blink, etc. They are supposedly waterproof but due to the fact that the awning stays soaking wet when rolled up they failed within a year for all three of us.
You mounted yours in the awning roller right?

Like you mentioned, I wonder if the they failed due to always staying wet. I'm not my second year and it's working so far with no issues. I mounted mine on the wall under the awning mount in an enclosure. It stays mostly dry and when it fails, should be easy to replace.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:08 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdanokim View Post
You mounted yours in the awning roller right?

Like you mentioned, I wonder if the they failed due to always staying wet. I'm not my second year and it's working so far with no issues. I mounted mine on the wall under the awning mount in an enclosure. It stays mostly dry and when it fails, should be easy to replace.
Yes mine were on the awning tube. Perhaps I will try another set on the trailer side, under the awning. I thought about doing that at first but wondered if it could come loose going down the road. What type of enclosure did you mount yours in?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Yes mine were on the awning tube. Perhaps I will try another set on the trailer side, under the awning. I thought about doing that at first but wondered if it could come loose going down the road. What type of enclosure did you mount yours in?
I can't remember where I bought it from, but I used one like this.

http://smile.amazon.com/Aluminum-Cha...-no-redirect=1

The nice part is the light strip slides right in, so you don't have to glue it down. You only have to glue the channel down.