Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #201
Moderator Emeritus

They wouldn't be $30 from the dealer :-)
I think someone posted Camping World at like $149

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
They wouldn't be $30 from the dealer :-)
I think someone posted Camping World at like $149

Doug
you are correct for the aftermarket add-on LED from Dometic... but they have an awning with them built into the awning. I saw one on an Eagle(?). I know it would be more than $30.00, but I would probably pay it as well as others if they offered it.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #203

Well, I installed a new/fresh battery in the controller but it still does not work. I am sending the whole thing back to Amazon. One last question; when I push the "on" button I do not see a light come on in the small window on the front of the controller so I am wondering if the controller is bad. Could someone let me know if a small light appears (or a beam of light) when the controller button is pushed?
Thanks!

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #204

Awning Lighting

When you plug the light strip into the controller, are you matching the arrows? Maybe there connected with the arrows not matching? Or maybe you just got a bad bunch. No light on my remote. There always 1 bad one in the bunch, and maybe you got it.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
Old 04-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #205
Moderator Emeritus

When initially playing with it, I had to put remote like 2" away from RF sensor.
If that doesn't work, sounds like you have the bad one in the bunch.
DOA
Amazon is great with returns. They probably don't even want broken one back.

Kind regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
Darn, I never expected this thread to take off like it did when I started it! Can't figure out why more RV dealers are not stocking these items on their shelves. Anyways, like Ranger431, I also have a 18 foot awning and am looking for anyone who might have a 2 to 3 foot extra piece with the plug on one end. I to am concerned about rolling the plug up in the awning, and would prefer to cover the whole 18 feet. Any help greatly appreciated. Shoot me a pm if you can help me out. My plan is to cut one plug off my 16 foot piece and the plug off the short piece, strip back the wires, connect them, heat shrink them, and cover with silicone. One other concern I have is the connector that the controller plugs into. It will be exposed to the elements. If I have it sticking out one end of the awning, I figure I can rig something up to keep the rain and salt air from damaging it. Once again thank you for any assistance.
Dougtoms01 sent me a left over peice of his today that was about 4 feet long. I will likely only need about 2 feet of it and will be installing it next week. I also bought some of the connector peices to keep them together. Once I am done I will shoot you a PM, and if no one else has sent you a section I can send you what was left and a connector.

Thanks again for the help dougtoms01!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger431 View Post
Dougtoms01 sent me a left over peice of his today that was about 4 feet long. I will likely only need about 2 feet of it and will be installing it next week. I also bought some of the connector peices to keep them together. Once I am done I will shoot you a PM, and if no one else has sent you a section I can send you what was left and a connector.

Thanks again for the help dougtoms01!
That would be great....thanks
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
..... One other concern I have is the connector that the controller plugs into. It will be exposed to the elements. If I have it sticking out one end of the awning, I figure I can rig something up to keep the rain and salt air from damaging it...
Krackeer, try a little dielectric grease on your connectors. It will help keep corrosion down.

Here is a link to a web page for Locktite’s brand (locktite 37534 tune-up grease).

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #209

Re: Awning Lighting

Got mine in the mail today and they look great. Can't wait to add the to the TT. We have a huge winter storm on the way (foot of snow possibly) so it will be a while till I get them installed. I am jealous of those who already got to install their's.

2010 Jayco Jay Flight 28bhs.
2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Here is a link to a web page for Locktite’s brand (locktite 37534 tune-up grease).
Good call on the dielectric grease for the connectors. Thanks for the link.
Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberghost View Post
Got mine in the mail today and they look great. Can't wait to add the to the TT. We have a huge winter storm on the way (foot of snow possibly) so it will be a while till I get them installed. I am jealous of those who already got to install their's.
You are going to love them. :-) It will be worth the wait.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #212

Has anyone spliced an additional piece to their set yet. I know Ranger431 and myself plan on doing it since our awnings are longer than the 16 feet that come in the roll. I got nervous after seeing the roll and the plugs on each end. The plugs are a little thicker than I had expected, and I'm not sure I want to be rolling them up inside of the awning. My plan is to hope to get a short section with the plug, the remove the plug from that section as well as one end of my 16ft piece. Strip back the wires, connect them, then heat shrink the exposed wire. This would allow me to have one plug sticking out from the end of the awning to plug the controller into. If I can't come across a short section, the I will install them on the TT itself, right below where the awning rolls up. I don't think they would look right not centered on the awning tube.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #213

If the connector plug is too thick, I plan on splicing as well.

I bought them because they were only $6, but agree they look a little big.

I really want to avoid placing them on my trailer b/c I don't want to look right into them every time I go into the TT, land if they are too bright on the tube, you can roll the awning back about a half turn so the light has to shine out of a smaller slot. Not sure if that makes sense, but can't figure out how else to phrase it.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #214

[QUOTE=krackeer;127935...My plan is to hope to get a short section with the plug, the remove the plug from that section as well as one end of my 16ft piece. Strip back the wires, connect them, then heat shrink the exposed wire. This would allow me to have one plug sticking out from the end of the awning to plug the controller into....[/QUOTE]

This is what I have left. Not as much as I was thinking and it did not have a clip at the other end but you are welcome to it... Just let me know.
Click image for larger version

Name:	040.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	7360
Old 04-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #215

Got the lights today, they're great. Still trying to figure the best way to splice the 2 strands together. The clips aren't too thick to roll up, but right now they aren't closing real well. I think I can shave off some of the plastic tomorrow and they should be fine. If not I will try to solder them together, or hopefully take them somewhere to have them soldered as I don't particularly like to solder
Old 04-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #216

Here is a thread about these lights. It is how I installed them on my TT. They can be used with the awning in or out and no connections are exposed to the outdoor elements. Check it out!

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...e-under-awning

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
Old 04-14-2013, 06:46 AM   #217

Anyone got any ideas why they would work yesterday with no issues but not turn on today? I checks all of the plugs and they were fine. The remote seemed fine yesterday, so I can't imagine the batteries ran out over night. It had a plastic tab that I removed yesterday. I even cut off the section that I was trying to splice just in case I somehow damaged it, but no luck.

Very frustrated right now.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger431 View Post
Anyone got any ideas why they would work yesterday with no issues but not turn on today? I checks all of the plugs and they were fine. The remote seemed fine yesterday, so I can't imagine the batteries ran out over night. It had a plastic tab that I removed yesterday. I even cut off the section that I was trying to splice just in case I somehow damaged it, but no luck.

Very frustrated right now.
Seems as though during my research of LED lights, I remember reading somewhere that the power supply will only power one 16 foot strip. I may be incorrect about this, but for some reason it rings a bell. Perhaps you blew out your power supply. Is the green light on the power supply on? I am currently looking on amazon for replacement power supplies. I will post if I come across one that matches. Edit....I looked on Amazon, they have plenty of power supplies if by chance yours went bad. Most under $10. I'm not sure, but at this point it sounds as though it might take 2 complete sets to cover our 18 foot awnings. Start on each side and meet in the middle. I should be receiving a 2 ft. pc. shortly from a fellow JOF'er, so I'll post my results. I was possibly thinking 2 complete sets, meeting in the middle and actually extending down the awning arms. Now the question is to face the ones on the awning arms in towards the awning, or out towards the sides!

Old 04-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #219

That could be it. I can't see any green light on the power supply. Would seem odd top sell splice kits if the power supply couldn't handle it.. It worked a little bit when splicing then briefly yesterday but I did power it down yesterday - it didn't quit on its own.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #220

Found a 10m / 30 ft kit, thats about twice as much money (79), but eliminates all the cutting and splicing issues. It doesn't seem to have as many options for custom colors or flashing though.

Guess I will return the initial set to Amamzon and start over....