Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger431 View Post
I prefer it on the awning - just wasn't sure if the "plug" end would cause an issue to the awning when rolled up. I saw in the video that the lights aren't big enoug to cause an issue, but the plug part looked a little bigger.

I guess they don't need to be centered, but it would sure look better. Also, if I buy another section, when they splice, are they flush, or would there be a gap?

is there anyone with some left ove sections that want to sell some scrap pieces?
I don't believe the plug part will be an issue when rolling up the awning. Mine has a plug on both ends. I am guessing maybe 3/8 inch thick. If you bought 2 sets you could use the plugs to connect them. They won't be flush though. Maybe a 3 inch gap, but you could probably eliminate that by simply pushing it closer together. However, I don't think anyone would notice the gap because the lights are so bright no one will be looking directly at them. Actually, upon closer inspection I noticed the plugs are the same on both ends. I guess you could cut the plug off the long piece, and if you had a short piece with a plug cut off that end and splice them together, the waterproof them. Seems like too much work for me.

No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
Houston, I have a problem! Got my lights yesterday and plugged them in just now and they don't work. Checked and re-checked the connections and the only thing I can figure out is that it is either broken or the controller battery is no good. I suppose it could be some sort of "operator error". Any thoughts?
I played with mine for 10 minutes the other night and had all but given up. Then I flipped the male connector over and plugged it into the control box again. Worked like a charm! I thought I had initially tried that but apparently not. Try that!

Karen, Scott, our daughers (6 and 9), and Finley (Finn) the wonder lab.

2013 Jayco Jayfeather X23B
2001 Viking 2485ST pop up
southpaw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #193
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw211 View Post
I played with mine for 10 minutes the other night and had all but given up. Then I flipped the male connector over and plugged it into the control box again. Worked like a charm! I thought I had initially tried that but apparently not. Try that!
X2

Seemed like mine would only work one way. They has some arrows, but didn't match up or anything.
I tried it both ways and found it worked one way.

Hopefully just flipping the plug will work.

Also, as I remember, there was a thin film that you had to pull out of the remote.
It kept the battery from being connected in transit/shelf.

Doug

Southwest, Ohio
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2017 Jayco 24RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #194

Quote:
Houston, I have a problem! Got my lights yesterday and plugged them in just now and they don't work. Checked and re-checked the connections and the only thing I can figure out is that it is either broken or the controller battery is no good. I suppose it could be some sort of "operator error". Any thoughts?

There's a little piece of film you have to pull away from the battery compartment on the remote.

You might want to try flipping the cable that connects to the LED strip.

Make sure you point the remote directly at the sensor. It seems to be very sensitive that way.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #195

Re: Awning Lighting

Something else to check... It turns out that the sensor on the control module is not omnidirectional. Everything worked when I tested them but nothing worked once they were installed on the awning. It was rather frustrating for a little while.
Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm11599ps View Post
There's a little piece of film you have to pull away from the battery compartment on the remote.

You might want to try flipping the cable that connects to the LED strip.

Make sure you point the remote directly at the sensor. It seems to be very sensitive that way.
Well, I did everything but stand on my head (I became the DWs entertainment for the evening). I removed the plastic battery insulator when I first opened up the package. This time I turned the plugs every which way possible and pointed the remote in all different directions but to no avail! Next move is to get a new battery hoping that somehow it is bad. Stay tuned

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #197

Quote:
I have a 12' awning and would be happy to send you the remaining cut off section. I could probably just stick it in an envelope and send it regular mail. No charge to Jayco "buddies"
o

Thanks, I really appreciate it! Will shoot you a pm.
Roadmaster Active Suspension
Ranger431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #198

Darn, I never expected this thread to take off like it did when I started it! Can't figure out why more RV dealers are not stocking these items on their shelves. Anyways, like Ranger431, I also have a 18 foot awning and am looking for anyone who might have a 2 to 3 foot extra piece with the plug on one end. I to am concerned about rolling the plug up in the awning, and would prefer to cover the whole 18 feet. Any help greatly appreciated. Shoot me a pm if you can help me out. My plan is to cut one plug off my 16 foot piece and the plug off the short piece, strip back the wires, connect them, heat shrink them, and cover with silicone. One other concern I have is the connector that the controller plugs into. It will be exposed to the elements. If I have it sticking out one end of the awning, I figure I can rig something up to keep the rain and salt air from damaging it. Once again thank you for any assistance.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #199
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger431 View Post
I prefer it on the awning - just wasn't sure if the "plug" end would cause an issue to the awning when rolled up. I saw in the video that the lights aren't big enoug to cause an issue, but the plug part looked a little bigger.

I guess they don't need to be centered, but it would sure look better. Also, if I buy another section, when they splice, are they flush, or would there be a gap?

is there anyone with some left ove sections that want to sell some scrap pieces?
My extra piece is on its way. Let us know hoe it works out.

Best regards,
Doug

Southwest, Ohio
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2017 Jayco 24RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
Darn, I never expected this thread to take off like it did when I started it! Can't figure out why more RV dealers are not stocking these items on their shelves.
In the manual for my awning, it mentions the power awning and power awning with LED. Therefore dometic makes the awning with them. My question is... Why isn't Jayco offering it as an option. I definitely would have chosen the awning with them already built in, even if they were only white. The colors will be cool, but I would have been pleased with just the white. Also, I may have an extra piece but will not know for sure until I install them. I haven't decided yet if I may use the extra pieces to go down the arms of the awning. If I have spare I will post here. I actually ordered a 2nd roll as I am planning to mount them along the gutter where the awning attaches to facing down, and will be going the whole length of the trailer instead of just the awning. They are going up this weekend, so I will post pictures once installed.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote