Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #211

Re: Awning Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberghost View Post
Got mine in the mail today and they look great. Can't wait to add the to the TT. We have a huge winter storm on the way (foot of snow possibly) so it will be a while till I get them installed. I am jealous of those who already got to install their's.
You are going to love them. :-) It will be worth the wait.

Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #212

Has anyone spliced an additional piece to their set yet. I know Ranger431 and myself plan on doing it since our awnings are longer than the 16 feet that come in the roll. I got nervous after seeing the roll and the plugs on each end. The plugs are a little thicker than I had expected, and I'm not sure I want to be rolling them up inside of the awning. My plan is to hope to get a short section with the plug, the remove the plug from that section as well as one end of my 16ft piece. Strip back the wires, connect them, then heat shrink the exposed wire. This would allow me to have one plug sticking out from the end of the awning to plug the controller into. If I can't come across a short section, the I will install them on the TT itself, right below where the awning rolls up. I don't think they would look right not centered on the awning tube.

No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #213

If the connector plug is too thick, I plan on splicing as well.

I bought them because they were only $6, but agree they look a little big.

I really want to avoid placing them on my trailer b/c I don't want to look right into them every time I go into the TT, land if they are too bright on the tube, you can roll the awning back about a half turn so the light has to shine out of a smaller slot. Not sure if that makes sense, but can't figure out how else to phrase it.
Roadmaster Active Suspension
Ranger431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #214

[QUOTE=krackeer;127935...My plan is to hope to get a short section with the plug, the remove the plug from that section as well as one end of my 16ft piece. Strip back the wires, connect them, then heat shrink the exposed wire. This would allow me to have one plug sticking out from the end of the awning to plug the controller into....[/QUOTE]

This is what I have left. Not as much as I was thinking and it did not have a clip at the other end but you are welcome to it... Just let me know.
Click image for larger version

Name:	040.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	7360
Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #215

Got the lights today, they're great. Still trying to figure the best way to splice the 2 strands together. The clips aren't too thick to roll up, but right now they aren't closing real well. I think I can shave off some of the plastic tomorrow and they should be fine. If not I will try to solder them together, or hopefully take them somewhere to have them soldered as I don't particularly like to solder
Old 04-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #216

Here is a thread about these lights. It is how I installed them on my TT. They can be used with the awning in or out and no connections are exposed to the outdoor elements. Check it out!

https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...e-under-awning

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #217

Anyone got any ideas why they would work yesterday with no issues but not turn on today? I checks all of the plugs and they were fine. The remote seemed fine yesterday, so I can't imagine the batteries ran out over night. It had a plastic tab that I removed yesterday. I even cut off the section that I was trying to splice just in case I somehow damaged it, but no luck.

Very frustrated right now.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger431 View Post
Anyone got any ideas why they would work yesterday with no issues but not turn on today? I checks all of the plugs and they were fine. The remote seemed fine yesterday, so I can't imagine the batteries ran out over night. It had a plastic tab that I removed yesterday. I even cut off the section that I was trying to splice just in case I somehow damaged it, but no luck.

Very frustrated right now.
Seems as though during my research of LED lights, I remember reading somewhere that the power supply will only power one 16 foot strip. I may be incorrect about this, but for some reason it rings a bell. Perhaps you blew out your power supply. Is the green light on the power supply on? I am currently looking on amazon for replacement power supplies. I will post if I come across one that matches. Edit....I looked on Amazon, they have plenty of power supplies if by chance yours went bad. Most under $10. I'm not sure, but at this point it sounds as though it might take 2 complete sets to cover our 18 foot awnings. Start on each side and meet in the middle. I should be receiving a 2 ft. pc. shortly from a fellow JOF'er, so I'll post my results. I was possibly thinking 2 complete sets, meeting in the middle and actually extending down the awning arms. Now the question is to face the ones on the awning arms in towards the awning, or out towards the sides!
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #219

That could be it. I can't see any green light on the power supply. Would seem odd top sell splice kits if the power supply couldn't handle it.. It worked a little bit when splicing then briefly yesterday but I did power it down yesterday - it didn't quit on its own.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #220

Found a 10m / 30 ft kit, thats about twice as much money (79), but eliminates all the cutting and splicing issues. It doesn't seem to have as many options for custom colors or flashing though.

Guess I will return the initial set to Amamzon and start over....