Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #481

Has anyone thought about installing them on the awning arms? Then you could use them with awning open or closed...?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:32 AM   #482

Mine did not make it through the winter either. Ordered another set of just the lights, since the remote, etc are all still good. Only $15 this time.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #483

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
Mine did not make it through the winter either. Ordered another set of just the lights, since the remote, etc are all still good. Only $15 this time.
that stinks! I was hoping that mounting to the trailer under the awning would help them last longer.
Power247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #484

My cheap Amazon (white lights only, not multi-colored) lasted just fine through the winter. I have them fused and hardwired to the trailers 12v system. Also have them running through a dimmer so that I can adjust them to exactly how bright I want them. I can't imagine that the cold is wrecking them, do you guys have water that collects in your rolled up awning?
Old 06-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #485

Mine is stored at the ocean. I am sure the salt air had something to do with it. BTW, when I put up the new ones I am going to use some 3M tape under them. This one here....http://www.amazon.com/3M-38583-Exter...o+molding+tape . Do you think this will work? Would you remove the cheap tape that came on the lights and replace it with the 3M, or just attach the #M to the camper and the back of the tape on the light strip?

Old 06-15-2014, 02:26 PM   #486

My lights did not come with tape attached so I used 3m tape and also put about 1/2 a foot of clear packing tape on each end for extra insurance. I haven't had any issues to date with them coming lose, in fact, just got finished camping for a week using them every day!
Old 06-15-2014, 06:15 PM   #487

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
Mine is stored at the ocean. I am sure the salt air had something to do with it. BTW, when I put up the new ones I am going to use some 3M tape under them. This one here....http://www.amazon.com/3M-38583-Exter...o+molding+tape . Do you think this will work? Would you remove the cheap tape that came on the lights and replace it with the 3M, or just attach the #M to the camper and the back of the tape on the light strip?
I bought the same stuff to mount mine with except I bought the 1" width. I was concerned that 1\4" would not provide enough contact area. I planned to remove the factory adhesive as it seemed like a weak link on my last set.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:16 PM   #488

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax_83 View Post
My lights did not come with tape attached so I used 3m tape and also put about 1/2 a foot of clear packing tape on each end for extra insurance. I haven't had any issues to date with them coming lose, in fact, just got finished camping for a week using them every day!
nice! how long have yours been mounted?
Old 06-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
nice! how long have yours been mounted?
Just over a year this past memorial day. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I store my camper indoors so it is out of the elements. Shouldn't effect how the 3m tape sticks though.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #490

You definately need IP68 rated...IP67 is rated for general dust and moisture. IP68 is fully waterproof. Problem is buying these online or even from a brick and mortar store, any overseas manufacturer can say IP68....Spend the extra money and make sure you have a legit IP68 rated LED. I work for an LED manufacturer and run into these situations all the time.
GoCougs90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax_83 View Post
Just over a year this past memorial day. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I store my camper indoors so it is out of the elements. Shouldn't effect how the 3m tape sticks though.
not sure... but I bet it helps the lifespan of the lights themselves.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:29 PM   #492

Red face RV girl needs help with connecting led wires and remote problem

I read most tips and appreciated all the good advice to prep me for mounting my led strip to the gutter under awning. Purchased this RGBWW waterproof kit from Supernight on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Since my 2013 Jayco 308RETS is under warranty, drilling a hole into my camper was out of the question. I envisioned the set mounted under the gutter of my 18' awning, bought an extension cable from Amazon (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to run from top of awning to under the camper that would then be connected to the remote controller which is connected to DC adapter that is in a Sockit box attached to an extension cord. I bought the 3M auto molding tape. When testing the led roll of lights I quickly figured out the RGBWW is based on 5 wires/5-pin and the extension is 4-pin and can't locate a replacement extension cord. I didn't test the remote (should have). Mounted the strip as the tips suggested and realized how happy I was not to trust that tape that came with it as it quickly came off. Once all was done 2 things were issues. First is the connection from the led strip to remote controller is not fit correctly and looses connection easily. Secondly the remote doesn't work.

So does anyone have some tips to help this RV girl to get her lights working?

I purchased 5 color/pin extension cable/wire from Amazon tonight (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). I envision cutting off the connector from the LED strip's wires and joining them to the extension cable/wires somehow. Not sure if that is a good idea but it is the only one I have right now. Once a connection is run to the Sockit waterproof box (http://www.amazon.com/Weatherproof-O...rds=sockit+box) that will hold the remote control connector and DC power supply the connection problem can be remedied by securing the connections with tightly applied electrical tape. How can I connect the led strip's connection to the wire without having the male and female connections already attached to the extra wire I just purchased once I cut it to size to run down under the camper? Are there any easy snap and connect gadgets out there that I can use and then shrink wrap the wires to the gadget to waterproof them? I don't know how to solder something. There is a product on Amazon that could be used on each end of my extension (http://smile.amazon.com/LEDENET-Need...d_rhf_se_p_d_9) but I'm still faced with same problem of joining/connecting each colored wire to its counterpart.

Because the remote is defective leaving me to buy a new one and I do like to control things with my iPhone, should I buy the LEDENET remote control system with the MI-Light wifi bridge (http://www.amazon.com/Controller-con...ontroller+wifi) to replace the standard remote controller that is known not to have much range?

Please help me figure out how to overcome these issues.
sgordon70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #493

What light is the best?

2012 Jay Flight Swift 267BHS
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 Crew Cab
Flipside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:08 AM   #494

thought with spring here, new members might want to see this thread.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #495

We bought a used 23J that came with these lights on the awning. They work great but if you are looking at these to install or have them already, don't let the power adapter or control box get wet or you're be looking for another one on Amazon.

I am on here today looking at ways to hard wire the lights into 12 volt to avoid the headaches of having to deal with an exposed adapter and IR box. Some good tips and ideas to be had.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #496

So you have to plug these in correct? I so want to get these but not sure I understand procedure
Coach33 is offline   Reply With Quote