Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #1

AZ state parks

While visiting Patagonia State park we seen a sign stating that starting Oct 1 a $15.00 extra charge will be put on the extra cars that are at a campsite. I asked the Ranger about our situation, me in excursion pulling trailer and wife in her car behind me. He said that as long as she is my wife and has the same address that we will not get charged the extra money. Motorhomes that are pulling a toad will not get charged either. So when we got home today I called another State Park and asked them the same question and got the same answer, Was also told that people are taking advantage and thats why they are doing it. Was told that people with toyhaulers were bring in motorcycles and using the ticket that is supposed to be for the truck. Was also told by the rangers that the state parks have to make money someway. Just info for everybody.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #2

I can understand that. Many of the camp areas around here do that by calling it a "day use fee" and in most parks you can only have 1 or 2 cars in the site and the rest have to be in a parking lot. I have seen where a group of folks setup a couple tents on a site and have 4-6 cars parked everywhere. We have never been charged for any guests so my guess is it is mainly a deterrent that the ranger can use if he sees a problem.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #3

Arizona's State Park monies have been reduced by the legislature by 50%; and that figure may be low. It is a major issue. State Park Administration is trying everything they can to raise revenues to keep facilties open. Many of the State Parks are partnering (sharing costs) with near by cities and towns.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #4

You just touched on an issue that really bothers me - state and national parks needing money. This country and its individual states has money, but it's not being spent on park services or staffing. Please, lets start spending some money on those things that make our country more liveable.

At this point in the thread, I would like to comment on how the money is being spent - but I won't for two reasons. It's not the right place for it, and I would get kicked out.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #5

Update, Today I found out that the rules changed a little bit. seems that me in the excursion pulling the trailer is ok and that as long as the car the wife is driving has the same street address as the excursion then they will not charge the $15.00 extra. I was told that this is the same way that it was long time ago. As far as OnTheGo comments I often wondered about the same issue.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #6

The two state parks on Long Island only allow one car per site and one car in the parking lot. My parents camped at one in May. 200 sites in the park and only THREE other campers in the entire park. Seriously. I went out for the night and they STILL wouldn't allow me to park my car at their site. What a joke that was.

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #7

I have a friend who is coming out to visit over night at Patagonia in Nov. She will have to pay $15 to park her car at our campsite. She was going to stay another nite but $30 would be pretty steep.
I understand that the Park Services, like other businesses, need revenue. I just think $15 is a little steep for an ovenight stay.

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #8

I think that you ought to call Patagonia and ask them. Since this person is staying one night they might even charge $25.00 for camping. You know I got upset when we had to pay $7.00 a night for the wifes car back in March at Usery Mountain Park. Not only some of the parks are raising there prices but they are also acting like the Airlines, nickel and diming us to death. Let me know whats they say.