Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2019, 06:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacemf View Post
Don’t know what your tow vehicle is, but if you can find a front-end hitch for it, it’s much easier to back it up in tight spots. Most pickup trucks can accommodate them. Worth looking into....
That would involve dropping the trailer in the street, getting the truck turned around, and rehitching on the front hitch. I'd also think it would be difficult if not impossible to see the back corners of the trailer since you've lost the use of the mirrors. How do you see where you're going with that trailer right in front of you?
More maneuverable, but less practical.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:10 AM   #22

I have a Parkit360 powered trailer mover for that purpose. Bought it originally to move my travel trailer beside my house. Trailer is 8’ wide in a 8.5’ opening and there is a very large tree that make maneuvering difficult. I learned to park it there with my truck now and use the mover to help a neighbour with his trailer.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:40 PM   #23

We have very narrow streets and it must be clear to get ours into the driveway. We watch the street when we are going to go get the trailer from storage to bring home to prep for a trip. We put cones out for the space needed. We have only one time had to go knock on a door, but we have really good neighbors around us and it has been a non-issue so far.

It takes some getting used to. Someone suggested going to an empty parking lot and practicing backing in there with cones. I think the biggest part of backing in is having your spouse or someone else guiding you in and communicating well during the process. We use walkie talkies and we are still learning what each other means. We try not to park in the dark as this adds another element to the backing in fun at home or anywhere else.
Mr&MrsSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #24

I have a RV parking area on the side of the house, but the DW would not let me cut down the tree on the only end access. So I built a 25' rolling gate and pull around the corner and parallel park the Rig between the gate and the side of the house retaining wall. I only have about 2' clearance on each side but have no trouble getting it in there. I used to drive tractor trailers up and down the East coast and have had tons of practice. The 1st few times had the DW with a radio on the rear right side checking clearance to the wall, but I always miss it by 6" or so. Parking a large rig in close quarters can be a challenge for sure.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacemf View Post
Don’t know what your tow vehicle is, but if you can find a front-end hitch for it, it’s much easier to back it up in tight spots. Most pickup trucks can accommodate them. Worth looking into....
I had an acquaintance add a front hitch to his truck years ago. He had very tight quarters uphill to get his TT into. He said it was pretty much a breeze to get his TT parked after doing that.
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #26

I have a similar situation here. As others have mentioned, I'm lucky in that they understand I need the room to get in and out and we are good neighbors as far as getting along well. We swapped numbers so I have theirs. I usually go over the day before I need to leave the driveway and let them know I'll be leaving the next day. On the return, I just call them the day before I'm coming home and tell them about when I'll be in. They've always been really good about having the cars out of the part of the street I need on both ends of my trips when I let them know. I drive semi's as well and while you can make tight backins when you have to, I don't see any reason to push things around my home and my neighbors when they can easily move their vehicles. Our neighborhood is older and doesn't have the normal width streets they would be required to be today.

I think in all the years, I've only gotten home once and had a car still on the street where I couldn't back in. I just went and knocked on their door and they came right out to move it, apologizing for it not being done before. Of course, I always respond with I'm sorry I have to ask you to. That I could probably make it, but I don't want to get too close to their car just in case. They usually appreciate that I'm watching out for their stuff more than making a deal out of my need. Seems to go a long way towards them helping me out.

Good Luck!

Tim
Flyingaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:10 PM   #27

park cars in the space you need to get in...then move them when your home.. only works if you don't have street sweeping or something else that requires them to be moved at some point during the week..I post up several days before we leave..
seaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:26 PM   #28

I do the same as @Jagiven, We use FRS radios. The neighbors kids all have vehicles, and we tell them when we will be away and the day we plan on being back. And that they can use our driveway. My truck is an extended cab long box 22ft with the ball , TT with hitch 31ft. Need to suck the TT to the side of our 40ft driveway, so the wife can get her car in the garage. some times it take's five back and forth maneuvers.
Johnnymailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:37 AM   #29

Here’s something to think about. Go to the hobby store and buy a duplicate (as close as possible) of your rig and some similar vehicles you have to deal with. I recommend HO scale. Then get a large piece of cardboard or roll paper and draw your driveway and street to scale on the cardboard. Practice maneuvering your model rig over and over into your driveway. You should get a better understanding of how to do it with your full size rig. And you’ll see how much room you’ll need on the street. Works with other tight spaces, too, like smaller campsites. And it’s cheaper than your insurance deductible. Good luck.
Boze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:00 AM   #30

why not knock on the door, introduce yourself, and be welcoming. At some point in the conversation mention your dilemma. Most likely they will be happy to help out.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:24 PM   #31
SUP

I found the key is to have a good spotter. I've had to back in to a drive with a car directly across the street and having someone keeping an eye on the trailer at every angle and taking it slow as in snail pace you should be fine. The use of walkies talkies is very helpful
SUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:42 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
We used to have people park in front of our driveway making it difficult sometimes to back out without runnin thru the grass. One day when I was trying to back the utility trailer up the driveway I told em if they parked there again I would knock there car down the hill of their yard with my truck. Said a few more choice words as I maneuvered the trailer up the driveway an it worked. They never parked across the street in front of our driveway again.
Right neighborly way to approach the issue. If you came at me like that I would park as close as was legally possible. Because you can not back is not my issue, it's yours. Talk to me in a civil manner and I would be happy to work with you. Just too many Azz's in the country.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
Right neighborly way to approach the issue. If you came at me like that I would park as close as was legally possible. Because you can not back is not my issue, it's yours. Talk to me in a civil manner and I would be happy to work with you. Just too many Azz's in the country.
He did say 'park in FRONT of my driveway' and you can't block someone's driveway. I would ask them nicely not to block my driveway, then if they did it again I would call a towing service to remove their car, and let them worry about it.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseS View Post
He did say 'park in FRONT of my driveway' and you can't block someone's driveway. I would ask them nicely not to block my driveway, then if they did it again I would call a towing service to remove their car, and let them worry about it.
As I said legally parked, and I would still ask nicely, why be an azz on first contact?
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote