Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2021, 07:50 PM   #1

Backup Camera

Hi Everyone,

I've got a 2021 QBW Rocky Mountain Baha that I tow with a 2011 F-150. I'm still a rookie, so looking for all the help I can get. When I bought I was told that mine was pre wired for a backup camera. I didn't think I'd need one but now that I've been out several times, I'm ok with getting one just for that extra comfort. Problem is, I don't know what to get. Any thoughts? Is it pre wired for a specific brand? I saw some articles on here about Furrion but wanted to see if thats all I can get or if there are other options. Thanks for the help!

AJ
AJ13NUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:11 PM   #2

We have the Furrion back-up camera on our 264BHW that also came pre-wired for a camera. Don't know if the pre-wired mounting bracket fits other brands, but I assume that it will.

After a couple of camping seasons of use, I find the camera is good to see traffic coming up behind us while traveling, but it doesn't do me much good while backing into a camping site. The camera visuals are just too limited for that purpose. However the audio portion of the camera is a real benefit because I can hear my backup spotter much better.

Also, I've noticed the camera will periodically lose the wireless signal while traveling, but it usually links back up within a few seconds. I've been told that a signal repeater mounted at the front of our trailer should eliminate that problem. However its not that big of a deal and I don't want to spend the extra money.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:13 PM   #3

Thanks Randel. Thats basically what I'm looking for. I'm ok backing into a site using the mirrors, but really like the idea of essentially having a rear view. Thats been one of the biggest adjustments for me. So used to having my rear view that looking up and seeing a wall throws me off.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:18 PM   #4

I put a furrion on mine. I am sure there are other options, but I wanted to be able to just plug it in and go. What ever you go with the power for the camera is supplied from the marker light so you will need your headlights on for the camera to power up.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:30 PM   #5

good tip I definitely would not have know that, thanks
Old 02-16-2021, 12:28 AM   #6

I’ve thought about adding a camera to ours, but it isn’t prewired, so it would be a bit more involved. Not sure it’s worth it. One thing — you’ll find you’ll get accustomed pretty quick to not using your rear view. After a while the side views are just second nature.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:17 AM   #7

I hope so, it's definitely getting a bit easier. I took off my stock mirrors and put some bigger towing ones on which are certainly helping, though they look like giant mickey mouse ears on my 150
Old 02-16-2021, 11:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ13NUSAF View Post
I hope so, it's definitely getting a bit easier. I took off my stock mirrors and put some bigger towing ones on which are certainly helping, though they look like giant mickey mouse ears on my 150
Yep. My stock towing mirrors have wide-angle lenses at the bottom that are really helpful, especially for seeing blind spots. If you don’t have those, you can buy stick-on versions that might help.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:24 AM   #9

For those without prewire . I use a Garmin GPS and mounted the camera on the rv rear bumper. Ran the wires along frame & up into my basement . There I picked up 12V & added an on/off switch beside my levelors control . Them mounted transmitter on front wall. When hitching I turn on camera as the Garmin display lets me toggle back & forth from map to rear view display
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I've got a 2021 QBW Rocky Mountain Baha that I tow with a 2011 F-150. I'm still a rookie, so looking for all the help I can get. When I bought I was told that mine was pre wired for a backup camera. I didn't think I'd need one but now that I've been out several times, I'm ok with getting one just for that extra comfort. Problem is, I don't know what to get. Any thoughts? Is it pre wired for a specific brand? I saw some articles on here about Furrion but wanted to see if thats all I can get or if there are other options. Thanks for the help!

AJ
If you climb up to the pre-mounted camera receiver they should have two model numbers on a sticker. One is the wired Furrion and the other is the wireless version.
Old 02-18-2021, 02:42 PM   #11

Check the Haloview brand too. They also sell and adapter for those proprietary Furrion mounts.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:06 PM   #12

I'm going to install a wireless rear view on my camper as well. I plan on removing the rear center marker light and mount the camera in it's place and tap power there. Monitor will be in the cab, 50ft away.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:24 PM   #13

I just purchased the same rig. I installed a Yakry, $99 from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also purchased a "universal" kit with a bracket and a pig tail to convert from Furion to regular 12v camera style. Waste of time, the pig tail did not fit well and the bracket did not fit at all.
However the Yakry came with a bracket, which fit onto the Furion cover (three holes required) and then I took the factory mount off because the Furion lead had pulled out from the connector and found it was easier to cut one of the extra leads that Yakry provides down to size. Biggest challenge was the very sticky white caulking that was still very wet.

Have not taken a trip yet to report on how well I like the Yakry, but it gives a great image (only 5" but that is plenty). I did a lot of Amazon review reading and seemed like it was a popular model, especial under $100.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:00 AM   #14

Phil, that's the one I'm buying as well. Please let me know how it works for you as far as range, clarity etc. Thanks, Terry
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:57 PM   #15

I put a furry on on mine after my first few times out. Now at least I can see the cars behind me I need to change lanes. Provides a much more confident drive for me
2019 28rb
2016 ram hd2500
duncanwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:47 PM   #16

AJ13NUSAF I have a 2021 Jayflight 29rks and installed a 4ucam camera from Amazon. looking at a photo of your model travel trailer I see a Furrion camera mount on the back. Since I didn’t use a Furrion camera I had to remove the Furrion mount. The wires are their to hook up what ever camera you use. The bracket that came with the camera mounted to my TT in the same holes as the Furrion mount. 4UCAM camera just plugged right in. You’ll have to caulk around the wires and bracket to seal moisture out. I used silicone. I recommend to use the same calking Jayco used. My camera communicates by wireless signal. The monitor has a antenna and plugs into the cigarette lighter. You have to turn the TV lights on to power the camera on the TT. You may have to move the antenna to keep a signal. The 4UCAM setup is ok, but if you can afford a better camera go for it.
mrpavette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:13 AM   #17

Furrion s camara

I just purchased the furrion s system and I love it I wish we would have purchased it when got it? It will come with a new Finn but you just take the camara off and put it on your Finn
csper29605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

AJ
I have a 27RB that was pre-wired for a camera at the rear. I bought one from Costco (Rear View RVS-155W Wireless 5-in. Backup Camera System
Item # *1200873*) that has worked great since Apr 2019. As the other fellow posted I too do not rely only on the camera when backing into a campsite but together my wife on our set of radios it helps a lot. I find the view of traffic at the rear while towing is what I like best. If I turn on the truck (‘17 F150) headlights the camera is powered up and traffic to the rear is visible. I would not be happy without it. With the camera, I can easily see traffic right up until they are passing the rear of the trailer and then they are in my mirrors. Highly recommended!
B
BeGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:31 AM   #19

I recently completed my first trip with the camera installed, so providing feedback as requested.

Yakry, $99 from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The image from the camera was very helpful, clear enough to see the vehicles behind and coming past you.
I found the signal would drop periodically so obviously the signal strength is insufficient, I managed to get it more stable by adjusting the angle of the antenna on the receiver.
I also noted that the image was not real-time, was lagging by as much as 4 seconds. Pretty sure this is caused by the signal reception strength.
I purchased a magnetic mount external antenna with a 10 cord on it. I am going to mount it as far a is reasonable from the camera towards the TV.
I will use a glue to attach it to the roof, not sure which one yet, need to research..

Overall I am happy with the unit, considering how much I paid. The additional antenna was only $15.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:48 AM   #20

I have the Furrion system on our coach. It's great, but I don't rely on it for backing up. The fish-eye experience isn't as accurate as I'd want it to be. I'm the "get out and physically see for myself" kinda guy. It does well for a rearview cam.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote