Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2022, 04:02 PM   #1

bad sewer smell

we took our 2018 jayco 212qb to the dump station after camping in it for 2 weeks and when we got back and opened the door the smell was unbearable so I'm wondering if maybe the black tank vent is clogged or something ? Can anyone give me a clue ?
boomeryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 04:31 PM   #2

Possibly the toilet seal is leaking tank odor, usually a small amount of water sitting on it seals out the smell and when it dries out you get odors. Sometimes simply opening roof vents can draw in odors, and running roof vent fans can pull in tank fumes. Commercial tank treatments can help somewhat.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:03 AM   #3

Just dumping a black tank is not enough, you need to flush it out. If you don't have a flush-out port, then use an RV toilet wand. Flush it out for at least 15 minutes until the water runs clear.

If you can, leave clean water in it with some black tank treatment or black tank cleaner added.
HAL9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 03:18 PM   #4

Ditto to Hal9001 comments.
tnka trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:54 PM   #5
CAG

Use Happy Camper in the tank when you are using it and after you dump put 5-10 gals of water in along with Happy Camper while it sits idle.

I made my own toilet wand but seldom have to use it if you flush, at least until the water comes out clear and then use Happy Camper. In addition after you have dumped, fill the tank with 5-10 gals of water and some Dawn. Let it slosh coming home and then dump again, flush, add water and Happy Camper.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 06:52 PM   #6

I use Borax and Dawn for every tank load. I use the 4' wand with the propeller sprayer tip to get all the stuff the spray ball misses.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomeryo View Post
we took our 2018 jayco 212qb to the dump station after camping in it for 2 weeks and when we got back and opened the door the smell was unbearable so I'm wondering if maybe the black tank vent is clogged or something ? Can anyone give me a clue ?
There's residue and debris in it. You have to wand it. The spray ball will not get all of it. Even if it looks clear during the spray ball flush, stick a wand in there. You'll see. Put a clear pipe on the exterior drain to watch it come out. The 4' wand with a propeller spray end works great. I give the spray ball for 5-10 minutes, then it's time for the wand.

I use 1/2 cup of Boraxo and a 1/2 cup of Dawn and 2 gal. of water in a clean tank to start each use. Sometimes, I put a little more in as the tank fills. I also use this combo in the gray tanks.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 07:41 PM   #8

There's a seal on the underside of the toilet, where it connects to the black tank. If that seal is compromised, you'll smell the crap in the tank. If the seal is intact and doing what it's supposed to there should be no smell. You might need to pull up the toilet and replace the seal if you think it's bad.

A cracked toilet housing (plastic toilets) can give odors a path into the living compartment too.

If there's water in the bowl above the flush valve no smell will pass through that point.

If your windows and doors are closed up tight and you have the bath exhaust fan on it can create negative pressure in the trailer and possibly pull smelly air past an otherwise well-sealed foam toilet flange seal into the trailer.

Doing a super-clean, and chemically treating the black tank are only band-aid fixes for the real problem, in my opinion. You shouldn't be able to detect foul odors inside if the the toilet system is sealed as it should be.

Just some things to consider...
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote