Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2021, 08:08 PM   #1

Ball size

Hey folks. Anyone know the ball size I would need for a Jayco 12SRK?
Also should I get a brake controller and if so, any recommendations?
I have a 2019 Tacoma.
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:23 PM   #2

The ball size is stamped into the top of the tongue in all the Rvs I have, I don't have that one.
I believe 125RK will have electric brakes and you will need a controller. I have a Tekonsha Prodigy which has been out for a long time is reliable and simple to operate.
I would recommend a Weight Distribution Hitch to prevent sway such as the Anderson like I have and to return weight to the front axle to help maintain safe steering and braking. The Andersen is probably the simplest to operate and the built in sway control is great.

Research and watch a couple of you-tubes on the Prodigy or similar and the Andersen to get some ideas of what and why you will need a brake controller and WDH. Not rocket science but absolutely 100% needed for safety.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:01 AM   #3

Fernando: if your Tacoma didn't come with a factory brake controller, I recommend the Redarc brake controller. I installed one in my 4Runner. Easy plug & play install, works great and no unsightly brake controller to bang your shins on.
https://redarcelectronics.com/produc...ake-controller
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:49 AM   #4

Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely look into it.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
The ball size is stamped into the top of the tongue in all the Rvs I have, I don't have that one.
I believe 125RK will have electric brakes and you will need a controller. I have a Tekonsha Prodigy which has been out for a long time is reliable and simple to operate.
I would recommend a Weight Distribution Hitch to prevent sway such as the Anderson like I have and to return weight to the front axle to help maintain safe steering and braking. The Andersen is probably the simplest to operate and the built in sway control is great.

Research and watch a couple of you-tubes on the Prodigy or similar and the Andersen to get some ideas of what and why you will need a brake controller and WDH. Not rocket science but absolutely 100% needed for safety.
Do I need a WDH for something that size or is it a question of better safe than sorry.
This is my first trailer so I知 trying to learn. Thanks
Old 11-22-2021, 12:10 PM   #6

Trailer brakes are mandatory in Ontario for trailers with GTW over 1360 kg (~3000#). You are a hair under that at 2795# so you could do without, but personally I would always err on the side of caution, so do the brakes controller.

Note that your trailer will require a breakaway braking system anyway (Ontario required over 907 kg or ~2000 lbs). Since you'll have the brakes on the trailer, you might as well be able to use them all the time.

That trailer weight is in pop-up territory. I didn't move up to WDH until we got into a larger trailer and didn't really miss it. We were towing with less capable vehicles than the Taco.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 12:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Trailer brakes are mandatory in Ontario for trailers with GTW over 1360 kg (~3000#). You are a hair under that at 2795# so you could do without, but personally I would always err on the side of caution, so do the brakes controller.

Note that your trailer will require a breakaway braking system anyway (Ontario required over 907 kg or ~2000 lbs). Since you'll have the brakes on the trailer, you might as well be able to use them all the time.

That trailer weight is in pop-up territory. I didn't move up to WDH until we got into a larger trailer and didn't really miss it. We were towing with less capable vehicles than the Taco.
Thanks for the great reply. Is the breakaway braking system something that is part of the brake controller? If not can you recommend one? I知 sorry if that痴 a dumb question.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
Thanks for the great reply. Is the breakaway braking system something that is part of the brake controller? If not can you recommend one? I知 sorry if that痴 a dumb question.
Based on the size of the trailer, it would already be installed to be legal for sale here (part of the "Canada package" from Jayco, along with required code differences in LP gas plumbing and electrical).

Your trailer will have a 12V battery connected to a pull pin switch. A small cable from the pull pin is attached to your vehicle so that if the trailer ever pulls away from tow vehicle, the pin will pull out closing the circuit so that the trailer brakes will apply full force.

Your trailer should have a 7-pin harness for all of the lights and brakes. If you want easy installation and you have a 7-pin plug on the Taco (or even a 4 pin) but no controller currently, the Curt controller is a good no-install option (minimal install if you are only 4 pin).
https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=curt+51180&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

My truck has a factory controller, but my neighbor has been using the Curt on his Honda Pilot for a year and thinks it is great.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 02:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Do I need a WDH for something that size or is it a question of better safe than sorry.

Not dumb at all.

A WDH is to put weight back on the front tires that is removed when the trailer hitch weight pushes down on the back end and lifts the front end. It restores steering control.

I'd be really surprised if you actually "need" one. Try a test drive. If you feel the steering is squirrely and not normal, then you need a WDH. Even so, it might benefit you. I use one with my trailer and a 1500 series truck. It just feels more stable.

The best way to know how much weight is being taken off the front end is to take the entire rig to a CAT scale.

At a minimum, you will want to get a sway control bar.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 02:50 PM   #10

Quote:

I would go without a wdh as long as the trailer hitch weight is lower than your hitch weight capacity (which I suspect is the case). I have seen where some rv'rs have used a wdh on a lite trailer and ended up bending the front frame of the trailer. You will not have that issue if you go without a wdh. A sway stabilizer bar may be of value as others have suggested, although many small trailers don't need them.

You may want to just hitch up and test drive it first, slow and easy to start with. ~CA
Old 11-22-2021, 04:08 PM   #11

Simple test: measure the distance front and rear of your tow vehicle from the top of the wheel well to the pavement. Hook up your trailer loaded as you would when travelling and repeat. If the rear drops more than an inch ... the front measurement will rise by an equal amount. More than an inch, it is recommended that you use a W/D set up. Follow the instructions for it and you won't bend anything.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 04:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Not dumb at all.

A WDH is to put weight back on the front tires that is removed when the trailer hitch weight pushes down on the back end and lifts the front end. It restores steering control.

I'd be really surprised if you actually "need" one. Try a test drive. If you feel the steering is squirrely and not normal, then you need a WDH. Even so, it might benefit you. I use one with my trailer and a 1500 series truck. It just feels more stable.

The best way to know how much weight is being taken off the front end is to take the entire rig to a CAT scale.

At a minimum, you will want to get a sway control bar.
No one really has answered your original question, about the ball size. hopefully someone with a Micro will chime in. I suspect it will be a 2" ball. However, a 1 7/8" ball is rated to 3500 lbs.

X2, make sure to visit a CAT scale on your first trip. Then again a few trips later, as more stuff will be added. As a base line it would not be a bad idea to run across the scale on your way home from picking it up. https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...v-tt-3871.html

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:58 PM   #13

Tekonsha controller. Have been using it for 17 years. They are still making them, so that says a lot.
Bob The Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:54 AM   #14

Our Tekonsha Primus works great, easy to use.
We have never used WD hitches with our trailer either with our underpowered Trailblazer first or our present Tahoe. Our 3,500# trailer tows fine. We average 10-12K miles a year with it.
What will you use for a tow vehicle? You may not need a WD hitch.
Keep asking, checking around, researching - it will really pay off!
Best wishes for great RVing ahead!
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:41 PM   #15

Curt Echo

Highly recommend the Curt Echo brake controller . Easy to set up with phone. used ours towing 12 double axel enclosed trailer behind our Jayco Greyhawk for over 9600 miles this past summer. worked really well in the Big Horn Mountains.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:48 PM   #16

We are pulling the Jayco 166FBS which weighs in short of 5,000. The ball on our WDH is 2 5/16" in diameter.
Dkastner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:02 PM   #17

Far as I can see, that trailer is small.. so some small balls should work ok. I've got a big trailer so I got big balls! Yeehaw!