Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #1

Barbecue options on 28R & 28BHS

I am wondering whether these trailers come with a barbecue, or an outdoor hook up for a barbecue? If not, what type of options would you recommend?
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
Site Team

According to Jayco`s standard and options page the outside grill is a 200.00 option on both the 28R and 28BHS. So it would have to be ordered with it by you or the dealer. As for myself, I have a small Weber gas grill and a coleman stove for my outdoor cooking, along with some good old campfire cuisine. Also occasionally use a Weber charcoal grill
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #3

If you get a quote through RV Direct, they show you the discounted prices when purchasing a bbq through them with a tt purchase (of course, if you get a full quote from them for the tt you would like, you can use that as a bargaining tool with the manager from a local dealer to get the best 'deal' possible).
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #4

It is possible that you have a quick connect gas connection even if you don't have the optional grill. Look under the trailer and you might have one. We carry a small Webber grill and an extra 5 gal propane tank. We have the quick connect but have never used it.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
It is possible that you have a quick connect gas connection even if you don't have the optional grill. Look under the trailer and you might have one. We carry a small Webber grill and an extra 5 gal propane tank. We have the quick connect but have never used it.
I don't have a quick connect, but my gas line under the trailer is stubbed out for adding one. Would be a pretty quick weekend mod.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
I don't have a quick connect, but my gas line under the trailer is stubbed out for adding one. Would be a pretty quick weekend mod.
Same here. No such luxury.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #7

We have the quick connect. Don has tried everything to get the connect so it will actually hook up the tube from the connect to the bbq. We went to all the places suggested by members here with no luck. We just use the 5lb tank for our non-Jayco bbq
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #8

You can check into the RVQ grill. It is an outside grill and not a stove. I never used mine since it is only the two of us so it is listed in the Parts for Sale on this Forum.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #9

If you order the BBQ option then you have a quick connect fitting with a shut off valve underneath your trailer to hook it up. If you don't order the option then as mentioned it might just be plumbed to add something later on. I ordered a second quick disconnect from the factory along with the grill option. They hit me for $200.00 more but it is a seperate second line and not just tied into the orginal one. The reason I did this was for running 2 grills at once. I modified my Coleman Roadmate to a quick connect 10 ft hose so I can grill, boil or cook pretty much anything outside at the same time. The mod is simple on these units since the regulator is not soldered or welded on. You will not be able to go into a second regulator with this type setup since it is regulated already for the camper at the tanks. This will not give you the proper flow to run the unit.

Some do not like the grill right next to the camper but I have not had any issues with heat and I use it everytrip. One thing you might want to check is where your awning ends. Being a TT it will be much lower to the heat source and could be directly over the grill. My awning is 2ft short of the grill which allows for it to travel straight up without hitting the awning. They are also table or ground ready with the mounting brackets provided from the factory if you want to go that route.

If you have the trailer and the pipe right there to tap into then you will need a quick connect valve with a shutoff on the camper side.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #10

My experience with attempting to convert a Weber to the Jayco quick disconnect/connect is that you can only get parts the will adapt to the Jayco quick disconnect from Jayco. Standard Weber quick connect/disconnect will not fit in the Chinese version that Jayco uses. Jayco wanted like $60.00 for a connection that will adapt to their "off shore" model. Isn't that a hoot, American made product using Chinese parts.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #11

Did you need the quick connect male plug end?

Mine has worked for 2 trailers (2 brands) quick connect shutoffs. I would think that the sizes would be standard regardless of COO. In my application I used a male threaded hose end to attachd the hose at the grill with a large union. I am pretty sure it was 1/4 thread, but need to confirm. The other end of the hose came with the propane quick connect fitting and that has worked in both valves without issue. The last TT (Keystone) had a Fairview shutoff valve.

However, there are different sizes in compressed air tool applications so maybe you just need to try another brand.

If I can figure out where I got my hose from 2 years ago I will post.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #12

Here is the quick connect I bought that I used to connect our grill to the quick connect port on the side of the camper: Baily's Wholesale

I also bought a 10' section of hose with another male end and a female disconnect. Later I bought 2 5' sections of hoses screwed together. Gave me the ability to move the grill up to 20' from the port. I'm very pleased with the results.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #13

Thanks...
I will have to check and see what our trailer is coming with.
Our old trailer had a built in barbQ but it wasn't a very good one, plus it attached tot he side of the camper in an awkward spot.
We use a webber at home..
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #14

We had an "RVQ" grill on our last unit, and Antigua hybrid. I used that grill on most of our trips. Though I was never really thrilled with having the grill, so close to the camper, also, I did not like the idea of all the greasy cooking smoke being trapped beneath the awning. All I could think of was how greasy our range vent was at home when I was a kid. Our new camper 28BHS I dont use a grill beneath the awning, and ma planning on purchasing a webber bbq to take along with us. I have looked at and talked to lots of folks, and so far the webber looks to be the easiest for clean up..
ACA6151 is offline   Reply With Quote