Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2021, 05:26 AM   #1

Bathroom fan leak

Hello Jayco'ers. We had some really windy rain storms for the rain was blowing sideways it started coming in through the fan vent in the bathroom there was a little puddle on top of the toilet seat lid. Do I need to replace a gasket or something? I noticed there is some kind of Orange gasket around the edge.

Also saw a little coming into the window track. I think it drains out though? I see a little hole or crevice in the track. Am I right with this assumption? Or should I be worried? Only happens with sideways raining..
Attached Thumbnails
20210914_173625.jpg   Screenshot_20210916-071215_Gallery.jpg   20210914_173651.jpg  
Jayco2015JayFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:38 AM   #2

Do you have a vent cover like the Camco 40443? Worth the $40 or so. There are other brands and colors. These keep out blown in rain in almost any weather. Allows you to leave the vent open all the time. Get up on the roof and check you caulk visibly and with a fingernail to see if it is just laying there and not actually sticking to the roof. Probably time for Etearnabond. Check all the rest of the caulk for potential leaks all over the roof.
As to the seal, it isn't much and best seen from the roof. The flashlight from above then below will help detect voids in the seal.
My windows have weep holes to allow condensation out. But if you have enough wind and rain I can see the possibility of water coming in. Not very probable. On the other hand, my front fixed window had a quarter inch gap at the bottom where the factory seal from window to metal wall just didn't meet. Every time I drove in rain or had a wind and rain from the correct angle it leaked until I caulked it myself.
For best advice don't forget your make, model and year of your RV!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Do you have a vent cover like the Camco 40443? Worth the $40 or so. There are other brands and colors. These keep out blown in rain in almost any weather. Allows you to leave the vent open all the time. Get up on the roof and check you caulk visibly and with a fingernail to see if it is just laying there and not actually sticking to the roof. Probably time for Etearnabond. Check all the rest of the caulk for potential leaks all over the roof.
As to the seal, it isn't much and best seen from the roof. The flashlight from above then below will help detect voids in the seal.
My windows have weep holes to allow condensation out. But if you have enough wind and rain I can see the possibility of water coming in. Not very probable. On the other hand, my front fixed window had a quarter inch gap at the bottom where the factory seal from window to metal wall just didn't meet. Every time I drove in rain or had a wind and rain from the correct angle it leaked until I caulked it myself.
For best advice don't forget your make, model and year of your RV!
Thanks Roger. Mine just has a regular vent lid that opens n closes..does that cover go over the lid? Does it screw down or...?
I have a 2015 jayflight. It's my handle name lol. Model 23mb I believe
Old 09-16-2021, 10:00 AM   #4

Watch this video on how to install a vent cover.
You can see the seal while he is installing a vent cover. This is the kind I have, easy to open and clean under.
For my bath I installed a Hengs fan which has much more air moving capacity than the standard fan. Multiple speeds, reverse and does not require changing the roof portion of the vent at all. Youtubes on how to do that also. This fall I added 4 inch wide Etearnabond over my still pretty good Dicor just in case while I was doing the rest of the roof. Easier to do before installing hinge brackets as I had to take mine off to get the Etearnabond on properly.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:19 AM   #5

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'd like to eyernabond all my seams eventually.