Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2015, 07:33 AM   #1

Bathroom MOD?

We have an x18d, and the bathroom is small, with the shower being quite un-usable. I have never taken a shower in there, and only remember using it once to wash off a kiddo. We have a decent set up for the outdoor shower (rod, shower head holder, curtain, etc) that I made last year.

I'm thinking of modifying the inside shower into a set of shelves, clothes hamper, etc. I would make it so it is held in place with simple bolts through the sink vanity and the back wall. I figure it could be removed easily if we were ever to sell the camper so it wouldn't effect value. Has anyone ever done something similar? I have some simple handmade drawings that I am using as my idea.

That tiny shower is such a waste of space, but I'm reluctant (for some reason I can't explain...) to actually make the mod.....

Comments, questions, statements, jokes, all appreciated!

Alicia and Glenn
Hartford (area), CT
2012 Nissan Pathfinder (V6)
2014 X18D
gvn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #2

Well, you may be reluctant for one of two reasons. You may need the shower in the future and don't want to have that "why did I do this" moment. Or you could create a problem with structure? Not sure how much modification you want to do. Just a guess. Seeing that your TT is a 2014, I would be concerned about voiding the factory warranty. If your 2 years hasn't expired yet, I'd wait until then. I might be over thinking the warranty thing, but it's easy for Jayco to say " it's not covered because you altered the design". If you needed warranty work done.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:09 AM   #3

Our camping situation makes the small trailer shower unnecessary also. I've added light duty shelving to 2 ea. showers now. For one I used cleat boards to rest nylon covered wire shelves upon. The other corner type shower I needed to also use some vertical supports down to the floor.

The shelves made the space much more efficient for stowing things. No longer is it necessary to remove half the stuff to access something.

I just used 2 ea. fasteners per cleat board. Should the shelves/cleat boards ever need to be removed my plan is to install hinged plastic button covers with stainless steel screws and sealant. I figure the covered screws will almost look OEM. The screw covers are available in various colors from Home Depot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CoverCaps.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	17489

I used those covers when I removed the basically useless fold down bedroom TV shelf. Removed the shelf, re-installed the mounting screws with button covers, and installed a coat hook bar above on the wall. The coat hooks are much more useful than the always folded down never used, but often bumped into TV shelf.

vic

Added:
In both showers it is easy to just remove the wire shelves and use the shower if needed. In one case the shelves have a lip on each side to hold the shelf in place over the cleat board. The other I needed to use a single cable tie on each shelf to maintain proper position on the cleat board supports.
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote