Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2023, 11:48 AM   #1

bathroom sink leak

IN my motorhome, in the bathroom i have a tray under the P trap under sink, every other day I am removing it and dumping out water, i assumed it was an issue with the ptrap so i replaced it, still have to dump tray every other day. I then checked for leaks at the sink bowl. nothing. then checked for leaks at the connections for faucet. nothing. the water has to come from some where. at this point i am lost
bombbiggitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 12:26 PM   #2

Try putting the sink stopper in and putting about a half a sink worth of water in it.

Keep an eye on the bottom of the sink from underneath and see if you see any dripping.

Could be either the drain basket leaking or a very minor crack in the sink itself.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 12:28 PM   #3

Often, as was both my bathroom sinks, the pipe that come down from the bottom of the sink into the top of the p-trap is cut too short and doesn't seal well. Once a little water in the trap leaks out, it stops...an indication this could be your issue. You can get parts and pieces from any plumber supply store and make that pipe a bit longer. As it extends deeper into the trap, it holds a bit more firm as well.
Retired @ PCB
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 12:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Often, as was both my bathroom sinks, the pipe that come down from the bottom of the sink into the top of the p-trap is cut too short and doesn't seal well. Once a little water in the trap leaks out, it stops...an indication this could be your issue. You can get parts and pieces from any plumber supply store and make that pipe a bit longer. As it extends deeper into the trap, it holds a bit more firm as well.
Very good point made Don.

I have to assume it's one of the issues we both made.
Old 03-14-2023, 03:01 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

It sounds like you have done a thorough investigation of the possible sources of the water in the tray. Since you have ruled out leaks at the sink bowl and faucet connections, the next step would be to check for any other plumbing connections in the bathroom that could be causing the issue.

You may also want to check if the tray is actually designed to collect water, or if it is simply a residual water buildup due to the design of the plumbing system. If it is a normal function of the plumbing system, then you may just need to continue emptying the tray on a regular basis.
11111energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 05:26 AM   #6

I agree with Gritz. The drop tube under the kitchen sink in both my old trailer (SOB) and in my Eagle were cut too short. During travel, the P-trap would work loose and the next time I'd use the sink I'd get a puddle of water. You can get an extension tube at any hardware store. I had to cut the old tube to get the extension to fit in, but haven't had a drop of water since I added the extension!
Old 03-14-2023, 10:58 AM   #7

I get a puddle of water under my bathroom sink on cold mornings when taking a hot shower. There are no leaks any other time; even when showering with hot water in the afternoon there are no leaks. I ended up discovering (watching it with a flashlight while the wife took the first shower) it was water condensing (prolific sweating) on the outside of the tubing and then running down the tube to a spot where gravity would cause it to drip off or the pex touched something and that's where the water would break free and fall off. I think it's likely due to the rapid temperature change from very cold to very hot.

The puddle runs about 2 feet out into the bathroom, so I put a towel under the spot to catch the drips. I haven't come up with another idea yet; it's a really tight space so insulation around the pex is extremely difficult to do.

Again, it only does it when showering for the first person on a cold morning (outside temps at 50F and below). Any other time of the day that you use the water in the toilet, sink or shower there is no leak.
66lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 01:24 PM   #8

thanks it was the pipe coming down, I put a longer one in and it solved the problem, thanks again
bombbiggitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 02:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombbiggitty View Post
thanks it was the pipe coming down, I put a longer one in and it solved the problem, thanks again
Awesome that you found it and fixed it.
Old 03-14-2023, 03:06 PM   #10

Just for the records and to qualify the knowledge of us old geezers...that pipe is properly called a "tailpiece"...I couldn't think of it earlier...an age thing for sure.
Retired @ PCB
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 03:34 PM   #11

You are in a room full of 18 year old travelers with gray hair(or none at all) and gray beards. You don't have to apologize.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 04:13 PM   #12

Mine was the drain basket. I just tightened the large nut around it and the leak stopped. Didn't have to reseal.
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 04:17 PM   #13

Is your outside shower anywhere nearby? We had a similar “leak” last season and took everything apart and there was nothing. Once hooked up to water there would be a leak. Come to find out the outside shower has a crack in the faucet and was leaking down the water line in under the bathroom sink. Replaced the outside shower fixture and problem solved.
Kathied65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 06:46 AM   #14

On my leak I ended up having to retightening the PEX connection at the cold water faucet.
mojo3150 is offline   Reply With Quote