Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2021, 02:43 PM   #21

Install a low voltage cutoff or one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WCW49YM...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I did the Bluetooth battery monitor. It will send you alerts at the Parameters you choose. The only downfall is you have to be there to disconnect the battery or shut your loads.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:01 PM   #22

Very sorry for your problem and very glad that you found the culprit.
Big time thanks for the solution as it's now something for me, as a boondocker, to keep a good eye on.
Cheers Ted
TedsCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedsCanoe View Post
Very sorry for your problem and very glad that you found the culprit.
Big time thanks for the solution as it's now something for me, as a boondocker, to keep a good eye on.
Cheers Ted

Yeah I'm a bit flabbergasted on how it got partially pulled out but definitely something to be more aware of when unhooking now.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthland View Post
Install a low voltage cutoff or one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WCW49YM...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I did the Bluetooth battery monitor. It will send you alerts at the Parameters you choose. The only downfall is you have to be there to disconnect the battery or shut your loads.

That looks like the exact one I have but I don't remember it costing $40!
Old 05-01-2021, 06:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
That looks like the exact one I have but I don't remember it costing $40!
I purchased mine on eBay it was $20, if I remember correctly. The one I purchased does not have a name in it. It’s the same exact unit, using the same app. I know this because I also won one from YouTube review channel!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:20 PM   #26
Site Team

snip....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
I just pushed it back in is there anything more to it than that?
To answer, no, just push it back in as far as it'll go, and the brakes will be free. If the pin was out for quite a while with the batteries connected, you might want to make sure the brakes are still working ok. Just to be safe.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:06 PM   #27

I'm glad you discovered the cause.

You may resuscitate the batteries for a short time, but they will not last long. Draining them dead, dead, dead is very hard on them.

You may get another year or so out of them, but in my experience, they will die all at once...work great this weekend and be totally useless next weekend.

If you think they have been resuscitated and will be useful, have a line on some replacements so you are not stuck with no power when you really need it.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:15 PM   #28

Yes there is. When you get a chance, you need to pull the drums and look at the magnets.
Make sure they have no "obvious" issues . Then take trailer for a test run... Checking the brakes. Check wiring as well... Look for heat issues.. As in overheating.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, find an independent rv tech and ask him to look over the system explaining what happened. I suggest an independent rather than a dealer. They usually are less likely to waste your time and money. I paid a guy near me $110 to look over my roof for a small leak. He found it. He also spent some time looking over my fridge and heater... Just cause it was there! And it only took 3 days of my calling for him to come by. Much better service than any dealer I've seen lately on this forum!

Hopefully all is fine...

As far as batteries, the GC batteries are designed for severe discharge use. Think golf course! I don't know how well they will handle normal rv loads after this discharge.... but if any lead acid battery can...GC batteries will!
Best to charge them, let them rest, then do a load test on each. I also agree their life expectancy had probably been shortened. How much? Who knows. They are cheap to replace....?

My GC batteries are now 3 years old and still performing perfectly despite living in Arizona heat. I do not leave them on charge or remove them when not in use. After a trip, I charge them, then use my disconnect switch. They stay on trailer. I use them the way they are designed to be used. Routinely discharging below 50%. But I then charge them fully afterwards. This is a daily occurance during winter camping. Charge/discharge. I would NOT treat normal rv or marine batteries this way... Certain death!

Using a battery properly and charging it properly has always been the key to long battery life. Regardless of chemistry.

Good luck...
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:56 PM   #29

Glad to hear you located the problem!

6v should be a little closer to 6.8volts after resting after 30 minutes or so. Your 6.2 is not enough, you may have a problem.

Have them professionally tested so you don’t have a issue on a trip.