Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2020, 06:14 PM   #1

Battery advice

I have spent the day researching batteries and some solar. I am taking delivery of a 2020 pinnacle 37mdqs later this month. I am trying to figure out what batteries I want.

Lithium is out of the question at the moment.

I’m thinking AGM but should I do 6V or 12V. Would two of either be enough. Don’t anticipate boondocking but do want to be able to leave the batteries hooked up and charging via solar during storage.

Would a single 190W roof mounted panel be enough to keep the batteries charged.

I’m in Atlanta GA and we don’t see many nights below freezing. During the winter while in storage would it be reasonable to run the furnace off of the batteries at night and have the solar recharge the batteries during the day?

Thanks,
Josh
jlp16au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp16au View Post
I have spent the day researching batteries and some solar. I am taking delivery of a 2020 pinnacle 37mdqs later this month. I am trying to figure out what batteries I want.

Lithium is out of the question at the moment.

I’m thinking AGM but should I do 6V or 12V. Would two of either be enough. Don’t anticipate boondocking but do want to be able to leave the batteries hooked up and charging via solar during storage.

Would a single 190W roof mounted panel be enough to keep the batteries charged.

I’m in Atlanta GA and we don’t see many nights below freezing. During the winter while in storage would it be reasonable to run the furnace off of the batteries at night and have the solar recharge the batteries during the day?

Thanks,
Josh

I have a different unit, but this my experience.

I have two Duracell SLIGC115 batteries, and a factory provided 210W solar setup. Even on cloudy days, my batteries are 90-95% charged by the end of the day. On a sunny day, they are always completely topped off. I have a standard Propane/Electric fridge, so power usage would change drastically with a residential/inverter setup. We also aren’t watching TV off the inverter during daylight hours(I disable it, and force kids to be in nature). I just spent 7 days off grid, and didn’t run the generator a single time. We didn’t need to furnace or AC the whole time(thank you Montana), so our power needs were quite low.

On the furnace…
You will have to try the furnace to know how much it drains your batteries. Every unit I have been in is a little bit different, and how much/often it’s running will make a big difference. Also keep in mind that there are fewer hours of sun in the winter.

The bigger question is “what about propane?” Are you going to be visiting the storage facility weekly to check your propane consumption, and replacing if necessary?

The other question on the furnace is “why?” Winterize by blowing out the pipes with compressed air, and pour a little antifreeze in the traps. A gallon bottle will last you years, and you don’t have to through the antifreeze flushing thing every time you de-winterize.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #3

Here's a good thread to look at while considering, if you haven't seen this one yet... https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ies-77105.html

There are others in the forum, but this sums everything up for the basics....if don't want to do Lithium, like Battle Born which are slated to be the best by all of what I read, then golf cart batteries, two 6vs seems to be the next best for small solar hookups....but really depends on what all you are trying to power, etc, surge capacity/draw ...
(2019 NP 383FKWS)
(2019 RAM 3500 DRW Big Horn)
Topperace is offline   Reply With Quote