Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2024, 09:58 AM   #1

battery disconnect switch

Hello. I really need help figuring out how to hook up my battery disconnect switch. I have watched numerous videos but I'm still not clear. I have a travel trailer with two batteries hooked up in parallel. battery number one has two small black and 1 large red wire that is hooked up to the positive. the negative side has a black jumper that goes to battery number two(negative). Battery number two has two white lines (from camper) on the negative post and the positive has a red jumper that goes to battery number 1(positive).

I bought a battery disconnect switch that has B2 post, B1 post, and on bottom has COM post.

please explain to me like a 3rd grader what wire goes to each post. a picture of some sort might be best to show me.

Basically, from my trailer it has the two small black and one large red together and the two white lines together. I believe the disconnect goes before the main battery?
Attached Thumbnails
thumbnail_IMG_4862.jpg   thumbnail_IMG_4863.jpg   thumbnail_IMG_4877.jpg  
hastingsja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 10:22 AM   #2

I suspect some of the confusion is regarding the switch you purchased. A disconnect switch has two terminal connections not three. What I believe you purchased is a "selector" switch which is commonly used to run on one battery and then if that one battery runs down you can switch to the second battery (or any similar reason).

In any case, you can still use the switch but you would only use two of the three terminals on the switch. The top switch terminal (based on your images) "COM" would be where the positive battery cable connects that is currently shown in the top image attached to the battery positive post and exiting to the left (assuming the positive cable exiting to the right goes to the second battery). Then you would need a short section of cable that connects to one of the lower (either B1 or B2 doesn't matter) terminals of the switch and the other end back to where the positive cable going into the RV was previously located on the battery (that you removed and attached to the top of the switch). ~CA

BTW, Welcome to the Jayco Owner's Forums (JOF)
Old 05-29-2024, 11:41 AM   #3

so take the red coming from trailer and put it on the COM. then hook up a short section of wire to either B1 or B2 and the other end of it to positive on batterey 1? all the other wires can stay where they are currently? just making sure.
Old 05-29-2024, 01:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hastingsja View Post
so take the red coming from trailer and put it on the COM. then hook up a short section of wire to either B1 or B2 and the other end of it to positive on batterey 1? all the other wires can stay where they are currently? just making sure.
It appears in the image that there may be more than just the red cable from the RV going to the + battery post. So, to be more specific you would want to connect all of the + wires to the COM on the switch other than the red cable going to the second battery (it appears that there are two black wires as well as the larger red cable going to the RV, so all three). Other than that clarification, you are correct with what you are stating. ~CA
Old 05-29-2024, 02:27 PM   #5

thank you for your time and help. I hooked up one battery the way you said, and it appears to be working. all I do now is attach batteries with jumper cables to be in parallel? I have attached what I am thinking.
Attached Thumbnails
camper rv.jpg  
Old 05-29-2024, 02:56 PM   #6

stopped by rv place and asked. he said to run both batteries I will need to run another red cable from positive on second battery to switch(b2). then a black one from negative on battery two to negative on battery 1.

does that sound right?
Old 05-29-2024, 06:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hastingsja View Post
stopped by rv place and asked. he said to run both batteries I will need to run another red cable from positive on second battery to switch(b2). then a black one from negative on battery two to negative on battery 1.

does that sound right?
What they said is incorrect for the purpose of a "Disconnect" and they may be confused regarding the switch you have and your desired end result. What they stated was correct for a "Battery Selector" switch setup which is the type of switch you have (but could be used as disconnect as well). With the wiring setup as they stated, you could choose to run on either BAT1 or BAT2 by flipping the switch and the batteries would not be connected to each other (just one battery at a time) and often that type of switch will only have a Bat1 or Bat2 selection therefore one battery would always be connected based on the switch position (no disconnect).

However, what you are trying to accomplish as I understand, is to tie (parallel) both batteries together for more battery capacity (more hours of usage) and be able to disconnect the batteries from the RV with the switch. With that in mind, your image is fine and correct. I would suggest your final setup would be a little bit more balanced if you attached the white and all other ground wires (if any others) to one battery and the positive cable going to the switch (B1 as you indicated) from the other battery as in my edited image your drawing.

The advantage to having the + cable on one battery and the - on the other battery is that charging and discharging would be equal between the batteries (for more even wear on the batteries) where as in your image the battery on the right would get a little more wear than the one on the left. I will add that there wouldn't likely be much if any noticeable difference of either wiring configuration (your image or my edit of it) or with the longevity of the batteries (maybe a little though). I would likely choose whichever way is easier but I would favor the connection as in this image. ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled.png  
Old 05-30-2024, 02:58 PM   #8

thank you. I will hook it up as you advised. once again thank you. I had to order new jumpers from amazon because the ones I had are too short.
Old 05-30-2024, 03:01 PM   #9

and your correct. the switch that i have is a 1-2-both-off switch.
Old 05-31-2024, 04:04 PM   #10

will I have hooked my battery switch like the drawing I have attached but the problem is when the switch is off I can still run my slide and lights. there should be no power inside, correct?
Attached Thumbnails
rv hook up.jpg  
Old 05-31-2024, 05:56 PM   #11

There should be no power from the batteries. But, there would still be power from the converter power supply if you are plugged in to shore power and also if your trailer connecter is connected to the tow vehicle.

Also, your wiring diagram is correct however, you don't show the other wires (2 more black wires?) that I saw in the original image. Did you connect them to the COM on the switch as well? ~CA

~CA
Old 06-01-2024, 02:27 PM   #12

your correct. I thought it would not power up with it plugged in if I had switch to off. I unplugged and then tried it, and it works. Thank you again for being patient with me. Now to try to figure out how to wire it through the battery covers. I have holes drilled in them but it's still tight fit.