Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #1

battery drain

We just bought a new 2017 X17Z hybrid...we parked it for a week after camping with it plugged in as well as a 2 hour drive..when we wentto the trailer today the battery was dead.any suggestions what could be drawing from the battery
supertower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #2

Sounds more like your battery isn't charging instead of it draining.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:51 PM   #3

A little more information please. Your post is not clear. You say you parked it for a week after camping with it plugged in as well as a 2 hour drive.

Are you saying it has been parked for a week and it is plugged in currently? Or are you saying it was plugged in while you were camping, and it has now been sitting a week after the trip without being plugged in?
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:50 AM   #4

Poor battery connections ?

That is what I found when I switched my reefer from shore power to propane. Reefer
DID RUN on propane when hooked up to shore power; but DID NOT when it had to pull power from battery.

The poor battery connections was not my first diagnosis as TT power board showed 4 lights so I thought battery was charging, right? No it wasn't. My first thought was that the batter on/off switch was on off. No, it was on.

I found the bad connection when I disconnected the shore power; now just on battery. Tested indoor lights and they were hardly on. Bad battery? Tested battery and reading was 12.3; really not that bad. Then fooled with connections and sure enough one was loose. Tightened and all is ok now. BTW the battery was just a few months old.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #5

Is it possible that you accidentally pulled your emergency brake safety call out? That will drain a battery in just a few hours. Even if yours "looks" OK, check it, as those switches have been known to fail...

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:53 AM   #6

battery drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
A little more information please. Your post is not clear. You say you parked it for a week after camping with it plugged in as well as a 2 hour drive.

Are you saying it has been parked for a week and it is plugged in currently? Or are you saying it was plugged in while you were camping, and it has now been sitting a week after the trip without being plugged in?
Plugged in at a campsite for a full day,then 2 hour drive home(which should be charging the battery)..after sitting for a week unplugged the battery was drained...I know my truck is charging the battery when it is hooked up to it as we plugged it in for 10 minutes at the storage facility and the trailer battery worked for a while after i disconnected it for the truck.....I have heard from some people that because my battery is brand new,it needs a deep charge,so i have it on a trickle charge now...will be testing it this coming weekend.hopefully all will be well
supertower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #7

After you got home and had the TT parked for a week Was the battery still connected or did you disconnect the battery? If you left the battery connected there are items in the TT that will cause a battery to drain, The CO/Propane detector and the clock for the radio will still be drawing power while the battery is still connected and depending on the charge on the battery these items can cause a battery to go dead in a weeks time.

Best bet is to always disconnect the battery cables when you are not connected to shore power and the TT is sitting unused for any length of time.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertower View Post
Plugged in at a campsite for a full day,then 2 hour drive home(which should be charging the battery)..after sitting for a week unplugged the battery was drained...I know my truck is charging the battery when it is hooked up to it as we plugged it in for 10 minutes at the storage facility and the trailer battery worked for a while after i disconnected it for the truck.....I have heard from some people that because my battery is brand new,it needs a deep charge,so i have it on a trickle charge now...will be testing it this coming weekend.hopefully all will be well
I think it is unlikely to need a "deep charge". Most modern trailers have what is called parasitic loads. That is, devices in the trailer that draw power even though they are turned off. If you want to determine how much of a draw you have while the trailer is unplugged you will need some type of amp meter (DC clamp is the easiest).
The other thing is to go through the trailer and make sure everything is OFF, no auto, not propane, but OFF. Things that people often forget about. Antenna amplifier, Pass through light, Refrig, Furnace, radio, well you get the idea.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertower View Post
X2 on the parasitic loads* will wipe out a battery in a week.

You either have to keep your RV plugged in when not in use or completely disconnect the battery.

-------------
*Loads that are on all the time:
- CO/Propane detector
- Radio in standby
- Fridge controller
- USB charger
- Thermostat

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote