Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2022, 07:16 PM   #1

Bauer RV entry locks

Thought that I would give a heads-up on the security of the Bauer locks on my RV. My trailer has a One Key Fits All lock system where the one key fits all storage and entry locks. The key itself looks fine--double sided so it works however it is inserted into the lock. A couple of weeks ago I accidently left the key in my wife's car as she headed out of town for a few days. Big problem because the other key was locked inside and I needed to winterize the trailer.
There is no way to get in without doing serious damage, or so I thought. I remembered that somewhere in my shop was a lock picking set that I had purchased at least 30 years ago to pick a padlock whose key I had misplaced. Pictured below is the set, and I used the two tools at the top (or left, depending on how it posts). I opened the entry door deadbolt in 15 seconds. Not a warm fuzzy feeling. I tried it again, just to see if I got extremely lucky. Apparently not, the second time took about 25-30 seconds. So, something to be aware of, these locks use a very simple keyway that is very easy to pick.[IMG]C:\Users\cypre\OneDrive\Pictures\IMG_5086.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-30-2022, 09:27 PM   #2
Site Team

Yes they are. Been doing that for those that have locked themselves out of the house, or car, or lost a key to their filing cabinet. The fewer the number of tumblers, the easier it is. I carry two sets of picks and jigglers in my truck, along with some other tools. More than once I've run across a parent that locked the car with the engine running, and a baby inside. Thank goodness some newer vehicles won't let you do that.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 09:33 PM   #3

Many years ago I worked in a state park campground. I accumulated half dozen Rv door keys. Campers often locked keys in their camper. I never saw many doors that I didn’t have a key for.
Old 12-01-2022, 07:51 AM   #4

I recommend you keep an extra set of keys inside your camper, and use a bauer bluetooth combination door lock. When you have your phone with you, it will automatically unlock as you approach. If you don't have your phone, simply enter your combination. If you don't remember your combination use the same key as your camper.... just be sure to let them know your camper lock's key number when you place the order for your lock.
We keep an extra set of car keys in our camper too.... yes, we've locked the keys in the truck too. LOL. We love our combination lock and that it's keys match our camper's keys.

PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 06:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Sharon View Post
I recommend you keep an extra set of keys inside your camper, and use a bauer bluetooth combination door lock. When you have your phone with you, it will automatically unlock as you approach. If you don't have your phone, simply enter your combination. If you don't remember your combination use the same key as your camper.... just be sure to let them know your camper lock's key number when you place the order for your lock.
We keep an extra set of car keys in our camper too.... yes, we've locked the keys in the truck too. LOL. We love our combination lock and that it's keys match our camper's keys.

Are the Bauer locks more secure and maybe a bit tougher to pick?

2014 Jayco Eagle Touring 28.5 RKD

Waltdrechsler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:36 AM   #6

Is there even such a thing as an RV lock that's secure?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Is there even such a thing as an RV lock that's secure?
If there is, it would be the unicorn of RV locks..
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 05:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Is there even such a thing as an lock that's secure?
Fixed and no.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 12:33 PM   #9

I got an email this morning that Bauer keyless entry locks are on a 20% sale through Dec 5th (price $191.99).

However, I found that the online website has an error with their cart. If you add anything else into the cart the 20% discount would disappear. It probably has to do with all other items are at a 25% discount and the cart web page can't deal with differing discount percentages. To order, you might have to wait until Monday to talk to someone in person.

https://bauerproducts.com/product/ba...eid=2d4f501a3d

David

2019 Jayco Eagle HT 24.5CKTS (new to me 9/2022)
2016 F250 6.7L CCSB 4x4 - AirLift 5000
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
David_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:36 PM   #10

If you're bored some day and really want an answer to whether any lock is secure take a look at:
https://www.youtube.com/@lockpickinglawyer/videos

The short answer is...not many...
Old 12-04-2022, 08:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNelson View Post
If you're bored some day and really want an answer to whether any lock is secure take a look at:
https://www.youtube.com/@lockpickinglawyer/videos

The short answer is...not many...
Love watching his stuff. He is not biased and shows the true weakness in just about every lock style out there.
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 01:45 PM   #12

Watch out for 751 keys

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGT View Post
Thought that I would give a heads-up on the security of the Bauer locks on my RV. My trailer has a One Key Fits All lock system where the one key fits all storage and entry locks. The key itself looks fine--double sided so it works however it is inserted into the lock. A couple of weeks ago I accidently left the key in my wife's car as she headed out of town for a few days. Big problem because the other key was locked inside and I needed to winterize the trailer.
There is no way to get in without doing serious damage, or so I thought. I remembered that somewhere in my shop was a lock picking set that I had purchased at least 30 years ago to pick a padlock whose key I had misplaced. Pictured below is the set, and I used the two tools at the top (or left, depending on how it posts). I opened the entry door deadbolt in 15 seconds. Not a warm fuzzy feeling. I tried it again, just to see if I got extremely lucky. Apparently not, the second time took about 25-30 seconds. So, something to be aware of, these locks use a very simple keyway that is very easy to pick.[IMG]C:\Users\cypre\OneDrive\Pictures\IMG_5086.jpg[/IMG]
Just a heads up………Just so you know, I’ve posted about this many, many, years ago, but for the newer Rv’ers. 751 keys are super popular with manufacturers. They all seem to use them on most rv”s. Only problem, everyone can open everybody else’s storage compartments. Most of your campground can, luckily most campers are trustworthy. The day after we bought out 2012 greyhawk, we changed all compartment locks to tubular cam/ locks. It has weird rounded keys, with edges that fit into holes. They have used the 751 key since the late 1960’s and are still using them. You can buy the cam locks with all the same code so one key opens all your compartments. We bought a few extra to keep on hand in case we need them. That way they are ALL the same key, but not one every other camper has a key to your unit. Good luck…..
Retired mountain folk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:59 AM   #13

We had an aunt who locked herself in the car. It took us three hours to get her out.
javan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 09:31 AM   #14

I have the Bauer digital locks on both doors and they work well, they keyed the tumbler the same as my other locks.

h3is3m2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 04:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
... More than once I've run across a parent that locked the car with the engine running, and a baby inside. Thank goodness some newer vehicles won't let you do that.
So, it comes down to breaking the window to save the child.

Sadly, a parent did this awhile back in Florida. They left the vehicle to "run in and grab some groceries". A good Samaritan saw the child crying and with a red face. They called authorities, who said they were on their way. The authorities broke a side window to get the child out. 10 minutes later, the parent exits the store.

She attempted to sue the police department for the damages to the glass. It was tossed out of court, because in Florida, there is a statue that allows you to do this to save a child's life; preventing heat exhaustion and death.

As to the storage keys, I bought the barrel type. The ones I got have their own unique key. I bought 10 that use one barrel key.

As to the door, I thought about a keyless entry; works off of a bluetooth system you have an app for on your cell phone.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote