Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2016, 01:33 PM   #41

I live in Central NY and get zero coverage from anybody at my house. I needed a range extender that connects to the internet to have my phones work at home. Verizon ( I had since it was Bell Atlantic mobile) charged $150 or $200 for the unit, I forget exact amount. ATT wanted to charge a monthly fee of $5 for their version of the range extender. I stuck with Verizon for the best coverage (except and my house, lol)
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:57 AM   #42

As others have stated, Verizon is by far the best coverage ... It is also expensive.

We use a Verizon jetpack for our internet on the road and at home. We have a WeBoost 4G booster that improves the signal at home and at campgrounds. Interestingly, I often get MUCH faster speeds at campgrounds than at home. I have gotten as high as 50 Mbps.

We are using Google Fi for our cell phones. The great thing about Fi is that it combines multiple services. It will give you the best signal between T-Mobile, Sprint, US Cellular, or WiFi. The WiFi calling and jetpack mean I have the combined coverage of 4 out of the top 5 US Cellular providers.

Google Fi is only $20 per month plus data. We use very little data since we have the jetpack for that, so our average cell phone bill is under $25.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:12 AM   #43

We have been with Verizon for for almost 20 years, very few places where Verizon did not work. We and our fiver evacuated for Katrina, could not get home for about 2 months, went waaaay over on our minutes. Verizon forgave the overage, we only had to pay the regular amount. It's Verizon for us.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:15 PM   #44

The Straight Talk Verizon Hot Spot is a good way to go. The device is now half of what it was at $49.00. You can buy the data you need and it is good for two months on the 4 ($40) and 5 GB($50). Also consider the auto-refill. Straight Talk also has an app that will keep teack of data used.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 01:28 PM   #45

I just picked up a Verizon Straight Talk router last week. As long as the coverage on this router is the same as the Verizon router, I'm good to go. It's a MUCH better deal than Verizon and you can go month to month. Verizon makes it extremely hard to cancel or suspend so Straight Talk looks like the way to go.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:22 PM   #46

When I need a hot spot I use my Samsung smart phone and don't have to pay any extra fees unless I exceed my data allowance. No need to carry around an extra device. The FCC says you don't have to have the Verizon or AT&T approved plans to use your own data on your phone as a hotspot. You probably will have to use third party software though.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:16 PM   #47

Just wanted to say 'thank you' again, Everyone! I actually appreciated all the comments, regardless of if they stuck exactly to my original question. I learned a lot from all the comments as they were all very helpful.
Campin'_Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #48

I have sprint it works great at home and very well on the road. I base it on what works best at home.
culleokapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:11 PM   #49

We use a weBoost Drive 4G-X Cell phone Signal Booster and it works GREAT.
We are in the Blue Ridge Mountains now and the area has pretty poor cell reception (we use Verizon). Without the weBoost we only get 1 bar Extended 1x and with the weBoost we have 2 bars LTE 4G. I recommend the weBoost. I got it at Amazon:
http://amzn.to/2aG4uVU

I purchased a larger RV antenna to mount on my Jay Feather and use the smaller one, that comes with the unit, to use in the car.

wan-der-lust YouTube Channel
JayFeather24T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #50

Phone

Verizon
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:54 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by culleokapapa View Post
I have sprint it works great at home and very well on the road. I base it on what works best at home.
That certainly was not my experience with Virgin Mobile, which uses the Sprint network. In town, I go fair reception outdoors; only one bar indoors if I was near a window (my home has aluminum siding). On the road, reception was spotty at best. After switching to Verizon, I get four or five bars anywhere in the house and five bars pretty much anywhere outdoors, even when on the road as long as I'm on a paved road (and many unpaved ones).
Old 08-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
When I need a hot spot I use my Samsung smart phone and don't have to pay any extra fees unless I exceed my data allowance. No need to carry around an extra device. The FCC says you don't have to have the Verizon or AT&T approved plans to use your own data on your phone as a hotspot. You probably will have to use third party software though.
I use my Verizon iPhone as a hotspot all the time. No extra fee to do this.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:43 PM   #53

We have had Verizon for over 30 years (I still have the hard case phone). When my wife worked, she had a Sprint phone that she was required to carry. There were times she had absolutely no service on her Sprint phone but always had service with Verizon.

We just picked up a jet pack to use when traveling. We discussed using the Samsung as a hot spot but decided against it because the phone gets too darn hot.

Verizon may be more expensive but in the long run know we will have service just about everywhere we will go - there have been a few places that there was absolutely no service (middle of nowhere Utah [I-70] and West Virginia Turnpike).
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:14 PM   #54

Have been testing my Straight Talk hotspot (Verizon carrier) and have found it to work as good or better than my Verizon hotspot. Straight Talk is much easier to go month to month with and cheaper. Just dropped Verizon.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:57 AM   #55

Moving from T-Mobile to Verizon next week. Will actually be $10 less a month then my current plan with 1gb more data. Probably would have stayed with T-Mobile if had unlimited roaming as in past, but 50mb a month now isn't enough for anything (13 years with T-Mobile). ..

Larry J
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote