Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #1

Best East Coast, Orlando, places to buy accessories

We will be travelling from Central Canada down to Orlando FL in March (11-20) driving, but not camping. We have a new to us X19H and a long list of accessories that we are going to need for it come spring. Have been pricing out locally, and they mostly seem a lot steeper than on Amazon, even taking into account the skyrocketing US$ (most of the rest of the free-world currencies are suffering right now).
Anyway, we like to meander a bit on our drive down, so am thinking of stopping at a couple of spots to price check. There is a Camping World just around the corner from where we are staying in Orlando, so certainly hitting there. Doesn't appear to be any Cabela's handy to our route.
Anyone have a "must stop" location along that route. We travel a couple of different routes; both start on I-81 (Watertown/Syracuse NY) and end on I-95/I-4 to Orlando. Depending on weather and mood, we generally either cut over to I-95 earlier (either I-86 or I-64 if Skyline is open) picking up I-95 at or near Richmond VA; or we take I-77 over much later down through Charlotte NC. Willing to adjust my route a bit to hit any recommended sites; but don't really want to put on much more than 40 miles to the existing route. Trip will also include a day trip to Sarasota. Have noticed a couple of really large dealerships about half-way Orlando to Tampa - worth a stop?
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:07 PM   #2

If you take I-95 through North Carolina, there is a new Cabela's in Garner. You'd have to jog west on I-40 a little bit, though.

Cabela's Retail Store, 201 Cabela Dr, Garner, NC 27529

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Roamer View Post
If you take I-95 through North Carolina, there is a new Cabela's in Garner. You'd have to jog west on I-40 a little bit, though.

Cabela's Retail Store, 201 Cabela Dr, Garner, NC 27529
Thanks Roamer. If we cut down to 95 earlier, that looks like a reasonable side trip. Looks like I can take 264 up to Raleigh, and then 40 back down to the I-95. Have yet to check out a Cabela's; they announced one in our area over 2 years ago (even show it on the Cabela's store locator), but last time around that part of town, they still hadn't broken ground. Was even going to have a Bass Pro across the street, but BP pulled out shortly after their original announcement.

And seriously, according to the map, Cabela Dr runs off of Jones Sausage Road? There's an address I'd be embarrassed to put on an envelope.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
And seriously, according to the map, Cabela Dr runs off of Jones Sausage Road? There's an address I'd be embarrassed to put on an envelope.
The Jesse Jones company used to have a meat packing plant on that street, hence the name. But that isn't nearly as bad as a street a few miles away in Clayton, NC. I'd really hate for my address labels to read Short Johnson Road.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:16 PM   #5

Bankr63 like you I am looking forward to something other then online or dealership pricing. We will be hitting camping world near Savannah Ga. You have mentioned taking other routes to Florida I have only ever done 81-15-95 and spent the 3 hrs I traffic near Washington this time I am debating 81-77-26-95 I see it adds about an hour to the trip but not having to sit in traffic is worth it. What weather should I be concerned about?
Cavi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi123 View Post
Bankr63 like you I am looking forward to something other then online or dealership pricing. We will be hitting camping world near Savannah Ga. You have mentioned taking other routes to Florida I have only ever done 81-15-95 and spent the 3 hrs I traffic near Washington this time I am debating 81-77-26-95 I see it adds about an hour to the trip but not having to sit in traffic is worth it. What weather should I be concerned about?
We've never done the actual 15 route having been warned too many times about the traffic around DC. Yes, it LOOKS to be an hour less time, but if you lose a couple of hours in traffic around DC, you lose the entire advantage. I've never been to DC, but have worked in NJ/PA so can guess how bad the traffic can get.

Our route South takes 81 at least as far as I-66 (Strasburg) and then 66 to SR17 (2 lane) to the I-95. Completely bypasses DC. BUT I would generally only take that route if there is weather East of the Appalachians. If weather is brewing up the Atlantic Seaboard, or if both sides are calm, I would take your second listed route. Charlotte NC is really the only heavy traffic you will hit that way, and the rest is generally smooth sailing (I-95 can have congestion in the oddest places, so is better avoided).

Now DW probably prefers hitting I-95 sooner because she gets car crazy and likes to sightsee. Not as much civilization along 81.

A couple of recommended side trips - take Skyline Drive through VA - slow but WOW! Open year round, weather permitting. Call first to confirm. Luray Caverns in VA were a really cool stop too!
Old 01-24-2016, 01:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi123 View Post
this time I am debating 81-77-26-95 I see it adds about an hour to the trip but not having to sit in traffic is worth it.
No debate for me... we go this way ALL the time; stay away form DC at all costs (unless going to visit). The drive down 81, 77 is very beautiful.
wan-der-lust YouTube Channel
JayFeather24T is offline   Reply With Quote