Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2018, 03:42 PM   #1

Best Garmin for RV?

I have been using a Garmin in my car for years and have been generally pleased with it. I want to upgrade to one aimed more at a motorhome. They seem to make two models, one for a motorhome and one for the trucking industry.

Has anyone tried these and could comment? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to going with the trucking GPS?

Thanks for any input.
Ron
rappar19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:25 PM   #2

The Trucking GPS has a couple of modes, one for the RV or a Trucker, the other for a car. You can enter your RV vitals (length, height, weight) in the Trucker mode and the GPS will watch for highway no-nos.

If you move the GPS to your car, it has a car mode. We have the last generation Model 760 purchased used from ePay. The current one is the 770. These both have 7 inch screens. The Model 660 is a six inch screen.

The Smartlink from your phone will alert you to weather and traffic problems.

Murff

P.S. I have owned both TomToms and Magellans and compared to the Garmin, they are both crap.

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:47 PM   #3

I use a Garmin RV 770 and I'm pretty happy with it overall. I don't rely solely on any electronic device for directions though. I plan my route using a combination of online tools and an old school paper map!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:10 PM   #4

I am another Garmin fan. If you want the 'best' then get either the trucker or RV version. Being able to enter your vehicle specifics can save you a lot of grief.

I also use Copilot for RV on my phone so I have 'backup'. Sometimes they agree on a route, sometimes they don't.

When planning a route I used Basecamp a lot.....but....it takes a lllooonnnggg time to learn how that program works and how to get the best out of it. Google maps is now my planning tool, even though it is a real pain to get a route transferred to the Garmin. I use the street view a lot to check bridge overpasses, tight curves on roads, gas stations, RV parks, etc.

I wish Google would make exporting tracks easier.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #5

Garmin 760 LMT

I have tested the Garmin 760 with low clearance and weight restricted roads and it has been very accurate - sometimes I don’t agree with the route it chooses but no GPS is perfect - I would buy it again without hesitation. Les

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les7h View Post
I have tested the Garmin 760 with low clearance and weight restricted roads and it has been very accurate - sometimes I don’t agree with the route it chooses but no GPS is perfect - I would buy it again without hesitation. Les
I also use the Garmin 760 LMT. I like being able to put in our weight, height and length. It kept me off a weight restricted bridge so far. I like the interface for weather and the ability to interface a camera.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:35 AM   #7

We use the Garmin RV660LMT. Like the 760 model, you can put the specs for your unit into the GPS. I chose the 660 over the 760 because it does not require a hook up to your cell phone (therefore using data) to receive traffic info. It has a special power cord with the traffic antenna built into it. Very happy with our unit.

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:40 AM   #8

I too have the RV660LMT model. Got it just before a recent 16 day trip. I too like it compared to my old Garmin 885 is the large screen. Lot's of information can be viewed at one time. And other features, like "Look Ahead" gives me a view of the next nearest gasoline station and rest area, etc.

One thing I had to cut off was the "sharp curve" warning. I was constantly getting a warning of a sharp curve ahead, when in fact, the road ahead was nearly perfectly straight. I turned off this feature.

All that said, there is one thing that has tried my patience with Garmin. My RV660 was new, but an unsold earlier unit which came with 2015 maps from the factory. A lot of updated maps have come along since then. Unfortunately, I can't down load any of them because the latest map release contained some bad low bridge info, so Garmin blocked it from being down loaded.

Since my new Garmin had never had any of the older maps downloaded, I can't down load any of the newer map downloads including the one just before the latest bad map download. This really "jacked my jaws", so to speak. At least Garmin should have put that note out to the general public.

If I'm still in the return window to Amazon, I may send it back, even though I like the RV660LMT overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
We use the Garmin RV660LMT. Like the 760 model, you can put the specs for your unit into the GPS. I chose the 660 over the 760 because it does not require a hook up to your cell phone (therefore using data) to receive traffic info. It has a special power cord with the traffic antenna built into it. Very happy with our unit.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:17 AM   #9

I forgot that weather feature. A HUGE bonus for that.

When in touchy weather I currently keep the weather radar active on my phone. It has 'saved' me several times, including avoiding a damaging hail storm (several RVs were damaged driving through it). That one trip alone was worth the price of any GPS unit and data plan.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
I also use the Garmin 760 LMT. I like being able to put in our weight, height and length. It kept me off a weight restricted bridge so far. I like the interface for weather and the ability to interface a camera.
X3 on the 760LMT
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote