Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-24-2021, 10:37 AM   #41

I signed up for Starlink yesterday and paid my $99. Supposed to get it mid to late this year. I live in the sticks so it will be awesome to get this kind of bandwidth. Hopefully later on as it progresses I can use it with the travel trailer.
finalcountdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:49 AM   #42

Just a thought to share that I used pre-covid. I have a Chevrolet with the "connected car" option that cost 20$ a month for unlimited ATT wifi. It is designed for in-car usage however I found that I could pick up the wifi from within the RV when the vehicle was parked directly behind or next to my RV. It was not w/o hassles though, I had to keep the key on (acc position), which meant I had to keep the chevrolet connected to a trickle charger when using the "connected car" hotspot and I had to keep a separate key so I could keep the vehicle locked (with the key in it). But it was affordable and worked most places, certainly wherever ATT had signal (and it had a better signal than my att phone inside the RV). They still have these plans, however I cancelled my plan just over a year ago so things may have changed, and this may not work for others especially if you don't have a newer toad (or tow) vehicle that doesn't have this option. ~CA
Old 02-24-2021, 12:32 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
Just a thought to share that I used pre-covid. I have a Chevrolet with the "connected car" option that cost 20$ a month for unlimited ATT wifi. It is designed for in-car usage however I found that I could pick up the wifi from within the RV when the vehicle was parked directly behind or next to my RV. It was not w/o hassles though, I had to keep the key on (acc position), which meant I had to keep the chevrolet connected to a trickle charger when using the "connected car" hotspot and I had to keep a separate key so I could keep the vehicle locked (with the key in it). But it was affordable and worked most places, certainly wherever ATT had signal (and it had a better signal than my att phone inside the RV). They still have these plans, however I cancelled my plan just over a year ago so things may have changed, and this may not work for others especially if you don't have a newer toad (or tow) vehicle that doesn't have this option. ~CA
I looked it up, Our Cadillac is 20 dollars a month and that gives you 22gb. After 22gb they may slow it down depending how many people are on the tower
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:05 PM   #44

Thanks for the tip. How do I get in on the Starlink deal?
2018 RAM 1500 Express Air Lift 1000HD
OTR AGIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:19 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTR AGIN View Post
Thanks for the tip. How do I get in on the Starlink deal?
https://www.starlink.com/
finalcountdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:31 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I looked it up, Our Cadillac is 20 dollars a month and that gives you 22gb. After 22gb they may slow it down depending how many people are on the tower
When I spoke with them (ATT) a long while back, I was told that the word "may" is just that, you will keep the fast speed if their tower is free to do so, they made it a point to say though that their other plans "will" slow you down after 22gb regardless of if their towers are saturated or not. I know I went way over 22gb many months and I never had any issues with them slowing me down. However I don't stream tv every night to notice if it got too slow, so perhaps it could have been slow sometimes.
Old 07-20-2021, 07:17 PM   #47

Chromecast

Who knew we needed TV when camping but…. Bought a Chromecast to stream via mobile phone hotspot. We can find the CC on TV and get the code which should then allow us to stream Netflix but nope nada it then flips back to CC set up and we start it all over again. Anyone having success and if so what is wrong. Thanks again
Happy newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:40 PM   #48

It's been two years since I tried to hotspot my cellphone, make a chrome cast connect to it, and use a laptop, also connected to the cellphone hotspot, to then cast the laptop video output to the chromecast. I never got it working.

It would be easier to use a Roku. Buy the $99 one. Hotspot your phone, then wirelessly connect the Roku to the internet from your phone, then use hdmi cable from roku to TV. Roku has your Netflix channel. And Amazon Prime for free movies and any video you've bought from Amazon can be watched this way. No subscription fees from roku. Only from Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc.

Additionally,
The $99 roku has a USB side port. You can plug a thumb drive, or in my case 5T portable hard drive to it. The roku can play mp4 movie files this way.

Put digital copies of your movies on the drive and watch at your leisure.
Mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:46 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy newbie View Post
Who knew we needed TV when camping but…. Bought a Chromecast to stream via mobile phone hotspot. We can find the CC on TV and get the code which should then allow us to stream Netflix but nope nada it then flips back to CC set up and we start it all over again. Anyone having success and if so what is wrong. Thanks again
Sounds like you're stuck on the initial setup of the Chromecast? Try using a second phone connected to the same hotspot, to go though the initial setup. Once that's sorted out, the phone that hosts the hotspot should be able to cast. As well as any other phones on the same hotspot (or using Chromecast guest mode if they aren't on the same hotspot). The key is to get the initial setup done so that the Chromecast connects to the hotspot on it's own.
rewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:48 AM   #50

Here are a couple of good videos about Starlink

billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:15 AM   #51

Help, I am very non-tech savy, and you seem to have a wealth of knowledge. We have our first camper after years of tent camping. Our 2021 Jayco Eagle 5th wheel came with Winegard 320. We will be using our cell phones for hot spots, and get great reception in most places we will be camping. However, we might need the range extenders for a few spots. I have read about the Winegard gateway. Do we need that, and will how do you connect it to your phone? Is it as simple as having it pair to my phone hotspot? We will be using a Roku device on the television, and I believe that I can pair that strait to the phone, so maybe I don't need to worry about the Winegard stuff at all. Can you give me some direction? Thank you
Rzorbcksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:29 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzorbcksfan View Post
Help, I am very non-tech savy, and you seem to have a wealth of knowledge. We have our first camper after years of tent camping. Our 2021 Jayco Eagle 5th wheel came with Winegard 320. We will be using our cell phones for hot spots, and get great reception in most places we will be camping. However, we might need the range extenders for a few spots. I have read about the Winegard gateway. Do we need that, and will how do you connect it to your phone? Is it as simple as having it pair to my phone hotspot? We will be using a Roku device on the television, and I believe that I can pair that strait to the phone, so maybe I don't need to worry about the Winegard stuff at all. Can you give me some direction? Thank you

Read your Winegard manual on how to do the initial setup. Once done, the Winegard will find whatever WiFI signal is available and use it automatically. Pages 10-11 will get you going. Forget about data plans on page 12. You have a power switch by the gateway that you have and you need to turn on if not already. Ours is in the ceiling of our Pinnacle in the bedroom. I am sure the dealer showed you where it is? it is a square looking thing on the ceiling somewhere, lol. We have a BMPRO electronic panel, not sure what yours is. Maybe jay-command? You need it to scan for wireless networks, and after a bit, the Winegard and SSID number should appear. Select it to connect. It will have an SSID number on the screen that is also in the front page of your manual. Then it will ask for a password, also in front page of manual. You are almost there, now you need to connect to a web browser on whatever device you may have. The bigger the screen, as in a tablet or laptop, the easier the following will be to navigate. Type 10.11.12.1 on the address bar, and very important, be sure you are connected to the Winegard network as if connecting to a WiFi signal anywhere else. So you need to do this at the camper so you can receive the Winegard signal. Once in the page, it will take you to the login page and ask for a username and password. They are right here on step 3, the word "admin" for both. Now navigate the page and select WIFI from the internet access options. It will now scan for signals, example would be your home WIFI if parked by the house, or your hot spot if using that. Select and enter password for that network if required. It could take it a minute or so to do its magic. You are now Golden, and going forward, wherever you might be in your travels, the Winegard will automatically take over the WIFI duties and find whatever is available. If that network has a password, it will of course ask you for it. The dome being on the roof and with its nice antenna seems to boost the signal, although it is not a booster as such. Our home network went from spotty at the RV to excellent signal. I notice you typed Winegard 320. Mine is a 360. Hopefully all this works for you as well.

Rene
Old 08-31-2021, 04:36 PM   #53

I have Starlink and have used it on my camping trips with no issues. I have to change my location each time i move but it's not a big deal to do.. I average 200 meg and even use YouTube TV to stream my TV programing... I watched the Nascar Race Sataurday afternoon camping at Crawley while my wife streamed her stuff on Netflix ... I love the service. It's really the best way to go..
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:00 PM   #54

Quote:
Problem is now it only works with one address and can't be moved
i've changed my location with Starlink at least a dozen times. Only Twice had issues in Southern Calif, they still have spotty service there. I used my sons address in Idaho to get set up.. I used it in Northern Calif the last two weeks, overall i only had about 20 mins of down time.. I got my dish and modem within 3 weeks after sighing up... I love the service..
Old 08-31-2021, 05:42 PM   #55

Butt all they are asking about is Winegard and WiFi
Old 08-31-2021, 06:34 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Starlink is WiFi
Old 09-01-2021, 10:14 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
I talked to Winegard and they told me not to use the phone to change between wifi and 4g they said to always use the 10.11.12.1 because their app is just about useless
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:09 PM   #58

Quote:
I talked to Winegard and they told me not to use the phone to change between wifi and 4g they said to always use the 10.11.12.1 because their app is just about useless

Yes, which is what i suggested to them to use and make changes
Old 09-02-2021, 02:45 PM   #59

Thank you so much! This really helps
Rzorbcksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:52 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzorbcksfan View Post
Thank you so much! This really helps

My pleasure, let us know once you are connected