Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-10-2021, 11:22 AM   #1

Best method for WIFI Streaming on the road

Trying to determine the most practical way to accomplish streaming television
(ROKU?) while on the road cross country for long periods of time. I have a Verizon Mifi hotspot that is satisfactory for laptop computing purposes and emails, but their "unlimited" data plan shuts down the speed when it reaches the max gigs, and TV streaming is useless. Totally satisfied at home with Century Link WIFI and ROKU.

We plan on spending most of our summers traveling to escape the 115 plus days in Arizona. Was hoping to find some sort of WIFI plan that is mobile but apparently can't do it without Satellite. Any suggestions?
2018 RAM 1500 Express Air Lift 1000HD
OTR AGIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:04 PM   #2

I bought one of these boosters an Chromecast thing to plug into t.v.. Hope is that if there's a race on while we are camping I can use antenna to use a local wifi signal so I don't burn data and the Chromecast turns our dumb t.v. into a smart t.v . Haven't tried it yet but good reviews on antenna.

https://store.rokland.com/products/a...409-tf-antenna
Old 02-10-2021, 12:09 PM   #3

I don't stream on the road, but if I wanted to do what you're attempting I'd generally follow this process. Go to a website like: https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/Coverage

Using the coverage maps for those general geographies you are targeting, look for overlaps of two carriers that cover the most geography you'll be parked in. The fly in this is that T and Sprint merger isn't really showing up on maps yet since they aren't exactly compatible. (GSM v CDMA). The Sprint network is being converted, but where and when etc. isn't totally captured yet. Once it's done, T will have at least the same national geography and possibly more subscribers than Verizon or Att.

Anyway, I'd then look to have two cell phone plans that have unlimited data, from different vendors, so I'd have a hot spot using my cell a max percentage of the time no matter where I was in the map. I'm only guessing, but you may get a suitable signal about 50% of the time.

I don't think you'll find a one size fits all, but others are sure to present you with their best ideas. I see the whole streaming thing as trying to knit a volkwagen out of a pile of steel wool.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:05 AM   #4

T-Mobile offers a service called Binge-on that claims to offer free video streaming. I don't have T-Mobile, so I can't comment on the service. Read the fine print for sure.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:15 AM   #5

Some good info in this video

billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:00 AM   #6

I just chatted with TMobile and the Binge On plan is not available anymore, but they have new plans that have some streaming included.
Old 02-11-2021, 10:11 AM   #7

So because I spent more years than I want to share in telecom, asynchronous network engineering, data com designs and utilization plans and more than one start up.... with a good bit of it in early cell provisioning roll outs.... I spent the time to watch that video. It's very good, but:

Like I said before: 'knitting a Volkswagen out of a pile of steel wool'.

I also went to the the affiliate website they offered up in the video and the 'all in' cost with a DIY installation is $1300.00. That doesn't include the cost of data, which will be a term based contract on two carriers if you do redundancy. I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say that's way over the top for streaming a few things on television for just about anyone. At least for me.

That kind of money buys a lot of Scrabble games, poker card decks, pinochle card decks, a bluray player off eBay, a pile of movie discs from the library that have at least one week and maybe two before needing to be returned..more than a few bottles of wine to share by the campfire...you see where this is going.

Now, if I was making an income off that internet and I needed it almost daily, bam, money well spent.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTR AGIN View Post
We plan on spending most of our summers traveling to escape the 115 plus days in Arizona. Was hoping to find some sort of WIFI plan that is mobile but apparently can't do it without Satellite. Any suggestions?
I'm going to split some hairs around terminology with you - because I think it will help.

What you have now is "cellular" connectivity. Your Verizon MiFi connects to the Verizon Cellular network for internet.

"WiFi - WiFi" would be where you park next to a Starbucks or McDonalds or campground and connect to their network. Your devices connect to their router and get connectivity.

And Satellite is like cellular but instead of connecting to a cell tower, you're connecting to a satellite.

Let's take WiFi-WiFi off the list as it's shortcomings are well known. Let's take of satellite for now too. As Starlink continues to grow it'll become an option. But for now, it's not.

Then one thing to consider is how far away from a cell tower you'll be? And more specifically - how far away will you be from a Verizon tower? We have a Verizon MiFi and ATT phones. ATT has more coverage out west here than VZ.

If you're going to be in a spot with good coverage from all three carriers (VZ, ATT, T-Mobile) then you can do what we do - use the MiFi for almost all streaming activities. And we use our phones as hotspots when we don't use the MiFi.

It sounds like you're happy with the Verizon MiFi, you just exceed their caps. In that case, you can shop for another carrier (ATT, T-Mobile) but make sure you're close to one of their cell towers. Or do like we do, essentially buy a second plan.

If you're streaming on your laptops, like Youtube, turn down the resolution and you'll lessen the amount of data you consume.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:19 AM   #9

I have a postpaid plan from all three carriers, it's expensive but I have good internet data where I travel.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
I don't stream on the road, but if I wanted to do what you're attempting I'd generally follow this process. Go to a website like: https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/Coverage

Using the coverage maps for those general geographies you are targeting, look for overlaps of two carriers that cover the most geography you'll be parked in. The fly in this is that T and Sprint merger isn't really showing up on maps yet since they aren't exactly compatible. (GSM v CDMA). The Sprint network is being converted, but where and when etc. isn't totally captured yet. Once it's done, T will have at least the same national geography and possibly more subscribers than Verizon or Att.

Anyway, I'd then look to have two cell phone plans that have unlimited data, from different vendors, so I'd have a hot spot using my cell a max percentage of the time no matter where I was in the map. I'm only guessing, but you may get a suitable signal about 50% of the time.

I don't think you'll find a one size fits all, but others are sure to present you with their best ideas. I see the whole streaming thing as trying to knit a volkwagen out of a pile of steel wool.

“Trying to knit a volkswagen out of a pile of steel wool”

This is gold and made me laugh out loud.
Jayco 19XUD 2016 (traded-in)
Tundra 2014 (traded-in)
Dargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:55 AM   #11

Our solution doesn't work everywhere we go, but we have an unlimited data plan with Verizon. I use my Samsung galaxy as a wireless hotspot and we connect our devices to that. For streaming movies, I connected an older, wireless capable Playstation 3 to the television, it connects to my hotspot. We can stream netflix, hulu, etc easily this way. Plus we use the PS3 for gaming once in a while too. It's really a media-hub for us on the road. Verizon has the best coverage in our experience. I might invest in a cellular booster/antenna this year to extend our range. Anyway, that's the setup we use.

I hope to 'work from home' from the camper a lot this season so time will tell if this is viable for remote working. I may have to invest in somthing more 'robust' so I'll watch this thread for more options. Cost is a *Major* factor for us. I cringe just paying for the unlimited data plan, it's unlikely I'd ever invest more than a few hundred in specialized hardware. (i.e. our solution is the cheapest I've found, and some compromises are still required)
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:12 PM   #12
CAG

This topic has been covered numerous times and the search bar, in gold, at the top of the page may help find more information. Basically, it is find and pay for a "hotspot" program with one of the major phone companies that does not throttle. Verizon is mine and I use it for TV all the time.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:20 PM   #13

Keep on posting.... if everyone only read the old posts, the forum would dry up and go away.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:29 PM   #14
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Keep on posting.... if everyone only read the old posts, the forum would dry up and go away.
You might notice that many if not all of these questions come up weekly so the information is pretty fresh. As I mentioned in another thread, much like this, is teaching people how to find this information helps them as much or more that filling the site with repeats. Give them a fish or teach them to fish.

With all of the other new topic I seriously doubt the site will go away.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:09 PM   #15

So - StarLink is taking initial "testers" for $99 down, $495 for equipment, then $99 a month. I'm not selling this, trust me. Elon Musk owns the company. They're allowing x number of people in different areas to test this - I don't know how many. They said they expected initial speeds from 115 mps to 225 mps at inception. The warn this is still being tested to reduce latency, and there could still be up and down periods.
Obviously if this were to work it would be an incredible solution for RV's. There is a network of low-level satellites that are deployed for the system.
bluztoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:44 PM   #16

I paid my deposit earlier this week.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:52 PM   #17

I paid mine about 30 minutes ago. lol. Wanted to secure my spot in line. My wife and I turned down an opportunity to move to a 30 acre ranch out in Idaho because of the horrible internet out there. This will be a 'game changer' for a lot of us. The service address they have listed is my 'brick and stick' home, but I would absolutely take it on the road.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:06 PM   #18

My father has been testing his Starlink for the last few month located just North of the North Dakota boarder. Speed tested at 200 Mbs down 50 Mbs up. We held a stable FaceTime call while he was experiencing a heavy snow storm without any degradation.
This becomes a new option to consider. Regarding the OP, if you could protect the dish while traveling this could be a solution. The system does automatically hunt for the satellites.
LeMoeCND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluztoo View Post
So - StarLink is taking initial "testers" for $99 down, $495 for equipment, then $99 a month. I'm not selling this, trust me. Elon Musk owns the company. They're allowing x number of people in different areas to test this - I don't know how many. They said they expected initial speeds from 115 mps to 225 mps at inception. The warn this is still being tested to reduce latency, and there could still be up and down periods.
Obviously if this were to work it would be an incredible solution for RV's. There is a network of low-level satellites that are deployed for the system.
I saw a string of those StarLink satellites one early morning in Quartzsite when I when outside to "water the rocks". I knew nothing about the StarLink satellites then, and it was so strange seeing that string of pearls passing through the sky that I thought that maybe it was Aliens beginning the War of the Worlds. LOL
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:48 PM   #20

Years ago we could get maybe 3 TV stations at out trailer in the valley between 2 mountains. Now the trees have gotten too tall and we get zero.

There is only 1 cell phone tower within reach, but it won't work inside the trailer. We have to walk about 150 feet up the mountain to get a signal.

I call home and talk for about a minute every day to be sure there are no problems at home. Likewise, if there were a problem I would have had a message when I trekked up the mountain.

The reason we camp there is BECAUSE we don't have a TV signal, and more importantly so facebook and snapchat and all the other crap is not accessible.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote