Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2017, 11:52 AM   #1

Best source of Weather Info

Was camping in the Biloxi area just over a week ago so the storm last nite caught my attention. I started out Sat afternoon with the Weather Channel, you know the blue slicker people. With family in the area I was a bit concerned when the storm was headed right at the Biloxi area. Fortunately the storm pretty much fell apart after a brief contact with land near the mouth of the Miss river. BUT you would never have know it if you listened to the TV reality slicker people. They continued to say Cat 1 with sustained winds of 85mph even though the wind speeds they noted at several oil rigs etc directly in the path only showed at gusts of 30 or 40 mph. Never were sustained winds over 30mph ever recorded. And then there is the storm surge that can for sure be an issue along the low lying land along the Miss coast. Up to 11 feet or higher they said for the area.

Over the years most of us have become pretty good at looking at sat imagery and drawl a fairly accurate conclusion as to what and where things are going. It seems they show you the sat pictures and then tell you something not even close to what you are seeing on the screen. I find it maddening and I think is a big reason so few people actually pay attention to the "you're all going to die" warnings. The CG we were in a few days ago is located in a bayou area and even with a moderate level Tropical storm [not hurricane] they would have ran everyone out yesterday am.

Where do you get your info when on the road or away from home?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #2

I use weather underground on my phone and I also travel with a Midland weather radio to make sure I do not get caught off guard in an unfamiliar place. My process is to look up all the counties in the area I am staying with a simple good search and then program the county I am in along with surrounding counties.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #3

I just use a local TV stations free weather app on my iPhone. Since it works off the GPS it will follow me where ever I go and sends out storm warnings plus I can watch the radar image. I don't trust the Weather Channel for local weather conditions, I think they use this old fashioned forecasting.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2874.jpg  
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #4

NOAA weather radio.. Since we are kayakers in the ocean we use it all the time.. The Weather Channel cant keep track of our microweather in the foothills of the White Mountains. The mountains generate their own weather.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #5

I've come to rely on the National Weather Service (Android app is NWS Now). No "slickers", just straight forward information and great radar. Very easy to look at specific areas or the big picture.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
soperman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
NOAA weather radio.. Since we are kayakers in the ocean we use it all the time.. The Weather Channel cant keep track of our microweather in the foothills of the White Mountains. The mountains generate their own weather.
Me too. NOAA weather radio in the RV. You can dial in to more specific location details if you look up the SAME code and plug it into the radio. NOAA Weather Radio - SAME

The Jensen radio in the RV allows us to program up to six SAME codes.

That and I have a NOAA Weather Radar app on my phone for real-time, location accurate radar.

The radio gives us advance warning and the radar app allows me to see what's happening above me.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:52 PM   #7

I have NOAA, My Radar and Weather Underground apps on my iPhone. With my location turned on, I get numerous alerts, watches and warnings for the area I am in. Combine the 3 and you are well informed. Weather fascinates me anyway.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #8

I used to use Intellicast but they were 'bought out' by Storm and has become a poor substitute.

When traveling with weather I keep my phone weather app turned on a watch the radar as we drive. I've been able to avoid several hail storms that way. Either skip a stop to stay ahead or pull over and wait for an hour while it blows over the highway.

Have not found a weather radar app that is as good as the old Intellicast.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
I used to use Intellicast but they were 'bought out' by Storm and has become a poor substitute.

When traveling with weather I keep my phone weather app turned on a watch the radar as we drive. I've been able to avoid several hail storms that way. Either skip a stop to stay ahead or pull over and wait for an hour while it blows over the highway.

Have not found a weather radar app that is as good as the old Intellicast.
I use to love them too. Once I disregarded a severe wind prediction and drove my 22 foot motorhome into it anyway. Hit me so hard that it broke a weld on the chassis. At first I thought it would flip the rig. Taught me a lesson.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:32 PM   #10

There is an app called 'Windy.' I only used it once on a trip from AZ to IL a few months ago. It seemed to be an accurate predictor of approx. wind speeds and direction. I was able to adjust our travel to avoid a day of heavy headwinds.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:05 AM   #11

In My OFF-ROAD POPUP I have the el-cheapo Radio Shack NOAA unit wired in to my 12VDC. Everytime this gets turned on it finds the nearest NOAA station. Solved my driving from different counties etc... ALERTS are good and loud haha....

I also have two or three ON-LINE WX programs on my Computer. WIN10 'MY RADAR' pretty neat WX program but if I want lots of detail I still use my old Intellicast WX Program..

Always use local OTA HDTV signals from local towns when we setup camp. They usually have at least one station that is dedicated to live radar...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:40 AM   #12

I’ve got the Weather Channel app and the NWS Mobile site available on my iPhone.
NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMFFD View Post
I’ve got the Weather Channel app and the NWS Mobile site available on my iPhone.
That would be the same weather channel that was talking about the location of the eye wall as the then tropical depression was in northern Alabama. Duh!! No hurricane, no tropical storm, NO EYE WALL. They should declare that channel as a reality show as they over dramatize every weather event from a light rain to a dust devil. And they wonder why so few people evacuate every time they say "this will kill you".

I also have a Noaa radio that I can scope in on local weather emergencies but does not let me get a status for a distant location where you might be heading or have family on the ground.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #14
Site Team

We use the Weather Bug app a lot and the local tv weather apps and OTA weather if it's available.

If I wanted to be on edge for some reason I would look at the weather channel.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:34 PM   #15

MyRadar Pro for Android and iOS uses NOAA and is very accurate. I think it's $3 or something like that for the Pro version.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:51 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackIt View Post
MyRadar Pro for Android and iOS uses NOAA and is very accurate. I think it's $3 or something like that for the Pro version.
2x (3x with DW)

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:31 AM   #17

I use the RadarScope app on my phone. It’s pretty in depth and shows hail, lightning strikes and many different radar layers. I noticed some storm chasers were using it so I figured it was a good one to see real time storm activity. I can predict weather really closely now and plan accordingly
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote