Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #1

Best towing route thru Big Horn Mountains

We will be headed to Yellowstone and are looking for a good route...best for towing thru The Big Horns. Looking at Hy 14 out of Sheridan or further South taking Hy 16. Also is gas readily available? Looking for ideas as We never ventured past Devils Tower on our South Dakota Trip a couple of years ago
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:38 AM   #2

We have taken 14 before and didn't have any problems. We're going again this summer and plan on taking 14, very scenic drive. Advise I've been given is that 14 or 16 are fine, but avoid 14A pulling a trailer.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:52 PM   #3

Did that last year on Route 14. Gas is available in Ranchester after you get off of the Interstate, just before entering the Bighorns. Also in Shell, Wyo. after leaving on the west side. I'm pretty sure we did it on one fill from Devil's Tower to Cody (10 mpg, 34 gal. tank), as I don't see any charges on my credit card for that area. Can do it in one day, but we camped there for 2 nights.

Be prepared for long uphill pulls (6% grade) going up, with many 20 mph turns, maybe even as slow as 15 mph. Very doable, just slow. Extremely scenic.
Downhill on the other side is a long descent, almost 22 miles at 6% - despite primarily engine braking, I got my brakes very hot. Ditto on having very slow, windy curves going down. Again no issues, just take it slow. There are a fair number of good pullouts for vista viewing/cooling off if needed.

We love the Bighorns. Campgrounds are small, and seemed to be pretty full most of the time (early June), but as it is BLM land, there are huge opportunities for off road camping (boondocking). Many "villages" of boondockers seen when we explored off the main road. Campground spots are reservable and cheap (limited availability of hookups, though). Boondocking is, of course, free.

Haven't driven it, but all advice is to avoid 14A.

Can't advise on 16 - did it too many years ago to remember pluses/minuses.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:42 PM   #4

Gas is available in Sheridan and Greybull for Hwy 14 and Buffalo and Worland for Hwy 16. Both are about a hundred miles. They are mountain roads so both have climbs and descents and twists and turns but you should be good on either with caution. Both are very scenic. I would probably make my decision by checking out construction on the WYDOT website. Around here road seasons are snow packed and icy or under construction. 14A would not be my choice. There are sharp switchbacks on the west side and the road was pretty rough when I road my motorcycle up there a few weeks ago. I would think they will work on that this summer.
MTRKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:01 PM   #5

We took hwy 16, we were told it was the easiest route across. It was a nice scenic route. Filled up in Buffalo and then ten sleep.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:18 PM   #6

Watch out for wild life, especially moose.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:54 PM   #7

If you go from Buffalo to Tensleep, then down to Thermopiles, south to Shoshoni and then to Riverton and on up to Dubois and to the South Entrance to Grand Teton at Moran. From there, it's short, sort of, drive to Yellowstone and all its wonders. If you turn right at Tensleep you can to to Cody and over Sylvan Pass and drop into the eastern side of Yellowstone. I would say that Sylvan is tougher than going over the Big Horns and certainly harder than around to the south entrance of Grand Teton and Yellowstone. Either way is beautiful and I wouldn't discourage you taking either route.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote