Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-18-2020, 01:50 PM   #21

Driving in Chicago

The best time to drive in or around Chicago with your RV is Saturday or Sunday between 2AM and 4AM!
IrishSettler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:39 PM   #22

adwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:57 PM   #23

I would highly recommend going up to Ludington, Michigan and taking the SS Badger car ferry to Manitowoc, Wisconsin. From there it's an easy hour and a half drive to Oshkosh. Rather than white knuckling it through Chicago and Milwaukee, you can relax on the deck of the SS Badger, have a drink, and look out over Lake Michigan. Don't worry about the boat being able to handle the size of your rig. They take motorhomes, semi trucks, etc. It's a great trip. Not cheap but well worth it. I've done it several times.
Wisco Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:04 PM   #24

If you can extend your vacation, going over the Mackinaw Bridge will bring you to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Many things to see there such as Sioux Locks, Menominee Falls, Pictured Rocks, Shipwreck Museum, etc. Daily trips around the UP you'll see very little traffic.
Blunderbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunderbuss View Post
If you can extend your vacation, going over the Mackinaw Bridge will bring you to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Many things to see there such as Sioux Locks, Menominee Falls, Pictured Rocks, Shipwreck Museum, etc. Daily trips around the UP you'll see very little traffic.
I second that. And don't forget the Mystery Spot in St. Ignace.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:18 PM   #26

Best way through Chicago? Maybe just avoid it.

Worst time to go through Chicago: Sunday night, when all the inmates that fled for the weekend are trying to get back in. Plus the usual night-time driving issues.

Best time: I agree, before 9am Saturday or Sunday. Mid-day, any day, straight through on I90-94. Otherwise, use the Tri-State Tollway, and simply be patient. Construction zones bring out the worst in the locals. Patience. No matter which lane you choose, it will not be the right one, so don't cuss your choice. But you WILL get through it.

Going through Rockford instead isn't too terribly bad. Usually.

Better choices:

The SS Badger is pure pleasure, unless you're crossing in a really bad storm. Do it in the daytime, to get maximum pleasure from your Lake Michigan cruise.

If you have the time, go the Mackinac Bridge route. VERY little traffic. Be sure to allow enough time to stretch your legs and visit some of the beautiful waterfalls in the western half of the UP.

Recommended pre-trip planning books: Roar of Thunder, Whisper of Wind by Edna Elfont, and A Guide to 199 Michigan Waterfalls by Laurie Penrose.
Buy them used inexpensively through abebooks.com or borrow them via inter-library loan through your local library.

Be careful, though, as you may get hooked on the UP and want to go back again and again. Be sure to stop someplace and have a pastie or two, preferably with gravy. YUM! Nowhere else in the US! Buy a couple of extras to take with.

By the way, there's a nice campground just south of The Bridge, and very close, so the view watching the ships is great!
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #27

Running the gauntlet

If you do decide to run the gauntlet from the Indiana state line to the Wisconsin state line and on up the 94 & 41 corridor to Oshkosh, just remember what the folks who live in northeastern Illinois say: There are only two seasons - Winter and Road Construction. Simply adjust your expectations accordingly. Tens, probably hundreds of thousands, of folks deal with it daily.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:26 PM   #28

I pull my camper to OSH for the convention every year from Ohio. I go the western outerbelt (I294) and it really isn't too bad, if you time it right. I time it to go through around noon. The only downside is the forever toll booths. It'll cost you almost $25 one way. This past year I got, and used an EZ-Pass. That's the only way to do it. It saves a LOT of stopping at toll booths which sometimes has long waiting lines.
rgeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:44 PM   #29

Seriously consider doing it late at night
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeese View Post
I pull my camper to OSH for the convention every year from Ohio. I go the western outerbelt (I294) and it really isn't too bad, if you time it right. I time it to go through around noon. The only downside is the forever toll booths. It'll cost you almost $25 one way. This past year I got, and used an EZ-Pass. That's the only way to do it. It saves a LOT of stopping at toll booths which sometimes has long waiting lines.
I definitely agree that if you are going to drive through Chicago, you really need to get an EZ pass.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
just remember what the folks who live in northeastern Illinois say: There are only two seasons - Winter and Road Construction.
OH, and I thought the folks in Pennsylvania laid claim to that quote! ha, ha.

I do have an EZPass. Travel the PA Turnpike once in awhile. Our daughter is going to Cedarville University in Ohio so we go out the turnpike when taking her to and from school.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:49 PM   #32

There's always the Trans Canada Hwy?

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:44 PM   #33

294 only way to go

Take 294. Just as quick as going through town. Best time in summer will be 8-10pm. Later than that is hazardous.
Purdue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:50 PM   #34

I live about 2 miles north of I80/I55. When we travel to Door County WI, we take I55 to the Tri-state (I294 tolls), to I94 to I43 up to Green Bay. Don't recall it being bad going through downtown Milwaukee. Never had much problem going up as leave around 9 am to head up north. Hit more traffic coming back as about the time we get to O'hare sometimes, due to coming through late afternoon, we hit rush hour traffic.

Recommend if you don't have an EZpass, to get one for tolls as the cash lane is twice what the EZpass is. e.g.$1.80 cash vs $.90 EZpass. And with more than 2 axles it could mount up.

Safe travels and good luck.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:56 AM   #35

If you are coming from the east, I would take I-80 to I-294 around the west side of Chicago. Just NOT during weekday rush “hour” times (about 6:00 am to 9:00 am, and 4:30 pm to about 6:30 pm). There’s a few tolls, but you’ll still save money rather than go hours out of your way going through Rockford!
Wouldn’t recommend going up 94 right through town unless in the middle of the night unless you are pretty confident in your vehicle, as someone else explained.
Just take your time and have some patience, and be careful. Not much different than any other big city. I’ve lived in southside Chicago and it’s southwest suburbs all my life of 63 years and know the roads well.
GaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 06:09 PM   #36

Live here and here is my advice...

Living in NWI about 20 miles from Gary my whole life and travel to Chicago more than I wish to admit, including work commute and airport trips.

They have just started 294 construction on 2 bridges this fall that will continue through end of summer 2020. My husband is in the industry and there is more to come.

There will likely be some new construction on 94 in Indiana as well, heads up. (But that is a normal summer thing here)

The biggest and strongest recommendation is to hit at night/off hours to avoid delays if at all possible.

Second recommendation is to go west down 80 and hit 355 north up to Schamburg area back over to 294 to 94.
Yes may be a longer mileage but is less traffic. We just did it this Friday night at rush hour in a snow storm going to Schamburg, and saved 20 min actually by time we were done due to traffic delays.
Now of they start the large part of Joliet bridge work on 80 by time you plan your trip, you will want to avoid 80 as much as possible and just use 294.

Of you have extra time, taking 80 ALL the way west to 39 and go north is a nice trip and Starved Rock state park is on the way and a fabulous place to stop and visit.

Good luck and enjoy, we hope to make it up for the show some day ourselves!
Kelly K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:55 PM   #37

Good luck. I take the northern most route to avoid going thru Chicago. Although no matter how you do it you will get caught in some capacity. I know twice for me. But if you go thru during none rush hour or on the weekends you will avoid the toll road and rush hour. Good luck.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:44 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Worst time to go through Chicago: Sunday night, when all the inmates that fled for the weekend are trying to get back in. Plus the usual night-time driving issues.

Best time: I agree, before 9am Saturday or Sunday. Mid-day, any day, straight through on I90-94. Otherwise, use the Tri-State Tollway, and simply be patient. Construction zones bring out the worst in the locals. Patience. No matter which lane you choose, it will not be the right one, so don't cuss your choice. But you WILL get through it.

Going through Rockford instead isn't too terribly bad. Usually.

Better choices:

The SS Badger is pure pleasure, unless you're crossing in a really bad storm. Do it in the daytime, to get maximum pleasure from your Lake Michigan cruise.

If you have the time, go the Mackinac Bridge route. VERY little traffic. Be sure to allow enough time to stretch your legs and visit some of the beautiful waterfalls in the western half of the UP.

Recommended pre-trip planning books: Roar of Thunder, Whisper of Wind by Edna Elfont, and A Guide to 199 Michigan Waterfalls by Laurie Penrose.
Buy them used inexpensively through abebooks.com or borrow them via inter-library loan through your local library.

Be careful, though, as you may get hooked on the UP and want to go back again and again. Be sure to stop someplace and have a pastie or two, preferably with gravy. YUM! Nowhere else in the US! Buy a couple of extras to take with.

By the way, there's a nice campground just south of The Bridge, and very close, so the view watching the ships is great!
Looking at the SS Badger. Looks like the kids will really enjoy that. Can you leave your propane on to run the Refrigerator?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:37 AM   #39

Take the I-294 bypass. Other than the rush hours, the biggest issue you will have is people flying past you when you are rolling 65-70 mph. lol . I lived off of I-294 most of my life. I don't like to go thru the center of the city with a large RV. (And I love driving!)
2021 Ford F350
Nothing beats a day outside camping!
EBCTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote