Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2018, 10:13 PM   #1

Better outside grill??

Last two Jayco trailers I have had, they have had the gas grill that mounts on the bar that goes on the rear bumper. These 'factory' outside grills seem to deteriorate all too quickly with peeling paint and corroding parts.

I'd like to find a nice all stainless grill that mounts in the same place, on the bar that attaches to the rear bumper.

Any recommendations??
Tail_gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail_gunner View Post
Last two Jayco trailers I have had, they have had the gas grill that mounts on the bar that goes on the rear bumper. These 'factory' outside grills seem to deteriorate all too quickly with peeling paint and corroding parts.

I'd like to find a nice all stainless grill that mounts in the same place, on the bar that attaches to the rear bumper.

Any recommendations??
Unfortunately anything "stainless" will in fact not be good stainless and will rust in no time. I'd personally recommend a Weber Q grill either the 1200 or 2200 (only difference is size). Like all Webers they are built to last and cook great as well. My wife and I use our 1200 all the time with our trailer.

A conversion kit to make it quick connect is around 50 bux if memory serves me correct and takes all of 15 minutes to install that way you can hook it into the trailer gas supply.

You'll find others will recommend the Coleman roadtrip, and while its got some great accessories I was extremely dissapointed with mine the few years I owned it.

The 1200 comes in many color choices as well. Like all Webers they use porcelain enameled steel for the body, cast iron for the grates. Like I said built to last!

JeremyFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:30 AM   #3
Site Team

I have gone thru a good many grills and now carry a Weber 120. It works great for our needs and I always use grill mats in it to help keep it clean.

The one that came with my trailer was junk from day one and only got worse. I ended up cannibalizing it for the QC parts to convert my Weber. IMO, Jayco could do a great service by getting some other grill offering. Maybe a family member owns the grill company or something!

I used a Holland Companion for years and it was great for slow cooking and baking, but not satisfactory for grilling if you wanted a steak seared or grill marks.

I have seen a SS grill made by Olympic that get great revues from a friend of mine and I think they have a model that hangs on the bracket on later model Jaycos. I never used mine because I like to cook and keep the cooking operation away from the camper a little.

In places we camp many times the rear bracket would be exposed to dust from traffic or walkers passing by.

Do some looking and get something that meets your needs and preference as there are many choices depending on how many you cook for and also your mobility needs. Some have a camp kitchen that does not look to inviting if it had to be set up and broken down often.

I still have a Weber "Little Joe" that I like to fire up ocassionaly.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail_gunner View Post

Any recommendations??

If you want a good stainless grill that will not rust or deteriorate in the weather, look in a marine store, or on line. Very pricey, but just might be what you are looking for. I bought my stainless grill at Sam’s Club for $100, and it is of good quality, is portable or could be mounted anyway you choose to do so. It also has a closing lid held down with hasps. Just some ideas, hope this helps.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:53 AM   #5

Our dealer told us that the grills offered with the Jaycos aren't very good, so much so that they don't even offer them unless a buyer specifically requests it. After owning a RVQ with our last trailer, I tend to believe it. So we saved our money and put it toward a Weber Q1000, and I did the quick connect mod to it. Best thing I ever did.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:23 AM   #6

Blackstone Flat Griddle.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:56 PM   #7

Another vote for the Webers. I've been using them for 30 yrs on the patio, and continue to use 'em when camping with a 1200. I've still got my first Weber, it's been rebuilt about 3 or 4 times.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:39 AM   #8

Save the $200.00 and put it towards something better. I made the mistake on my first unit then I upgraded to my current Camp Chef system.

If you only want a side mount then the Olympian 5500 by Camco is one choice in SS. It has a good design that you can clean out with the drip pan. The RVQ is almost impossible to clean.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:39 AM   #9

I used to have an Aussie grill on my pull behind (came with it), deteriorated badly in 1st year.... we purchased a Coleman Roadtrip LXE in a Coleman Outlet tent sale and used the small bottles for a few years, then recently upgraded and got the quick connect to tie into the Class C's LP quick connect. We love the grill, but will admit, it tends to cook too quickly...burners are a bit too high and the top is too compact to allow breathing space. It works great for most grilling occasions regardless, but we will eventually look into something else once this grill setup expires... Which may be a long while, as its holding up surprisingly well.
WannaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #10

Weber!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:24 AM   #11

Weber Q don't forget the leg kit, grill temp gauge, spent 130 bucks Wall Mart!You will have to remove the regulator easy job. Check U Tube!
Attached Thumbnails
White Spar xx.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGo View Post
.....snip.....We will eventually look into something else once this grill setup expires... Which may be a long while, as its holding up surprisingly well.
LOL, they always do when you want them to expire!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:51 AM   #13

Another vote for the Weber. Ours is great and the 1200 is easy to carry around. I was able to find a fantastic Weber carrying bag for it as well. Those bags seem to be hard to find now though.
K2tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:51 AM   #14

Weber....purchased in 2003 and still going strong.
Tim413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:36 AM   #15

We got the COLEMAN BLUE ROAD TRIP grill in 2008 that comes with a nice tote and has several different cooking tops. Also uses a water reservoir to catch dripping for great easy cleanup. Sits in the patio area away from the trailer ... Uses the 1LB propane canisters...

No problems to report..

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:58 AM   #16

I have a full size charbroil grill at my seasonal site. I just picked up a 17" blackstone griddle to mix things up a bit! LOL! The Blackstone is a solid unit. I see they make a unit called the 'Tailgater' which is a combo grill/griddle. I'll be taking a closer look once my Charbroil rots away. https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Gr...tone+tailgater