Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #1

Bigger Valve on fresh Tank?

Hi with my 90 gallon fresh tank. I generally fill it for the weekend, then let left over out at the dump station.

But the sloooooow valves dont finish in time, so I close up, and dump the rest in my driveway.

Is there a way I could reasonably put a large gate valve on the fresh tank? like a 1.5 inch spa/pool valve?

My uncles class a has one, and it would be nice to dump the tank in a minute or two.
Ecfeick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #2

I'm not an expert but I would think you would be limited to the diameter of the threaded hole in the tank.If its bigger than your existing vale it would be a simple matter of just installing a valve the size of the opening.Drilling and taping threads for a bigger hole would be pretty risky.
1 wife
2 spoiled cihuahua's
rugerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #3

Don't fill it up so much if it's only a weekend. :-)

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #4

I would be a little nervous drilling a hole in the tank. But with a little research to determine material properties and what type of glues would work, it might not be so bad.

My HTT also has a tiny little drain valve, probably the same one on your TT. The hose between the tank and the valve appears to be ½” diameter. I have been thinking about replacing the valve with a ¼ turn ball valve.

If the existing valve is 1/8” diameter the cross sectional area is 0.05in^2 (A= pi * r^2). If you upgrade to a ½” valve you will have a cross sectional area of 0.78 in^2. Which is almost 16 times larger area for flow, assuming there are no flow restrictions in the valves.

I would start by changing out the valve.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #5

Re: Bigger Valve on fresh Tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecfeick View Post

But the sloooooow valves dont finish in time, so I close up, and dump the rest in my driveway.
Open the valve and let it drain as you drive home, it's clean water.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #6

Grumpy. I always would have thought that would be fine. But I have seen threads here where people seem to think its a bad idea.

I unpack at home so I guess it's not a huge deal
Ecfeick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecfeick View Post
Grumpy. I always would have thought that would be fine. But I have seen threads here where people seem to think its a bad idea.

I unpack at home so I guess it's not a huge deal
I guess I'm a bad, bad boy then along with many others that I've seen.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
YOU know it's clean water. The guy on the motorcycle does not have that knowledge. That motorcyclist COULD be me. I would be VERY unhappy!

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnchuck100 View Post
YOU know it's clean water. The guy on the motorcycle does not have that knowledge. That motorcyclist COULD be me. I would be VERY unhappy!
My truck, which is towed directly behind the MH doesn't even get wet so how would it affect you?
Old 09-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #10

I feel your pain with the small drain on the fresh tank! My old Fleetwood had a 2" valve drain which was nice....I miss it.

I have with my new 28BHS drained some out at the campsite and finished at the dump station. If there is any left when I'm done dumping I just bring it home.

Marty
grayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I find it hard to believe that every passing car doesn't pull up beside you blowing their horn for your attention and pointing their finger toward your "leak"....If it's a fellow camper, he's sizing you up concerned your heading to dry camp and your losing your water supply. Non-campers don't know if your leaking gas, water or sewage. But in general, we all assume any leak is a bad leak, so now we have a driving distraction.

I'm not saying it's bad or illegal, but I feel it's a distraction and we need far fewer distracted drivers on the road
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #12

I have been told that according to EPA regulations it is illegal to dump any liquids on the highway regardless of whether or not it is fresh water. I wouldn't do it. When I get home, if I want to dump my freshwater tank, I put a bucket underneath it and use the water for my flowers. As dry as it has been here in Illinois the last two or three summers, the flowers appreciate the extra water

djalbrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by djalbrec View Post
I have been told that according to EPA regulations it is illegal to dump any liquids on the highway regardless of whether or not it is fresh water. I wouldn't do it. When I get home, if I want to dump my freshwater tank, I put a bucket underneath it and use the water for my flowers. As dry as it has been here in Illinois the last two or three summers, the flowers appreciate the extra water
I don't dump tanks while driving, but you may want to have your EPA contact follow any if the thousands of trucks a day hauling loads of tomatoes, grapes, melons, etc out of the fields and on to the highways this time of the year. Tomato trucks especially are dumping hundreds of gallons of juice on the roads daily.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #14

My wife usually cleans the toilet, shower, and sinks while I'm dumping. We end up using most of it that way, and use the left over to flush the black and grey.

The easy solution is to figure out how much you're using, and not carry so much with you.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:34 AM   #15

With the heat of the cement it evaporates be for the next car hits it kinda like AC condensation. But what really stinks is the guy using his windshield washer an it shoots over His car and gets water spots all over my clean car or the business that doesn't adjust there sprinkler heads and they go in the street.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #16

I agree, the fresh water tank drain valve is way too small. If you sanitize your tank once a year you'll soon get fed up watching the grass grow - and you don't want to dump the water+chlorine mix on the road or down a drain that leads to a stream!
Black tank Quick-e Flush, MaxxAir Vent cover, TV bracket and LCD TV, added Slideout awning, bunk ladder, added socket and reading light to top bunk, added bathroom fan switch near light switch, insulated all externally accessible storage, sealed pass through storage from interior of trailer, LED lights throughout, added LED lights to storage compartments
EnricoG is offline   Reply With Quote