Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-06-2017, 09:01 PM   #21

Bike rack next on our list.

—————————————————
http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AL...0022978s8m.jpg

2017 NorthPoint 377RLBH
2017 F350 FX4 DRW 6.7 PSD
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGW...jCx2yKWbNHxFpQ
MadJoker TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:47 PM   #22

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000G...ID=71oNjlNelmL

Anyone use the one in the above link? I am tring to fiqure out if it is RV rated or not. An RV company is selling this one but the doesn't really mean anything.
I'm going to look it up on the manufacturer website.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwminnesota View Post

Anyone use the one in the above link? I am tring to fiqure out if it is RV rated or not. An RV company is selling this one but the doesn't really mean anything.

Here is your answer:

https://www.etrailer.com/question-6049.html

Compatability of the Swagman XTC4 Bike Rack Mounted on a Travel Trailer
Question:
Can I use this rack with a travel trailer?
asked by: David K
Expert Reply:
The Swagman XTC4 Cross Country 2-Bike Rack, item # S64665, is not designed to be carried behind a trailer of any kind. The ride behind a trailer is significantly rougher than the ride when attached directly to the towing vehicle. The instructions for the bike rack state that, the purchaser is advised that the load created by rack and bicycles will exceed the strength of trailer or 5th wheel bumper, mounting location or the bike rack. The rack is not under warranty if mounted in this location.

This is from a Swagman Customer Service Rep. It spells out exactly why you need to get an RV rated bike rack and explains why the rear bumper needs reinforcement to carry any rack.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:38 AM   #24
Site Team

The bike rack mfg. will be the source to ask if their product will work on the back of an rv..

If they don't recommend it, you are on thin ground if it causes a problem.

Most will have that disclaimer in their sales literature.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:34 AM   #25

Here's a link showing what happens. This is the same kind of bumper on millions of RV trailers. I would guess two 45 lb bikes that far out from the bumper put several hundred lbs of force where the bumper is attached to the frame extensions due to leverage effect.
Trailer | Cindy and Art's Travels
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:48 AM   #26

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
The bike rack mfg. will be the source to ask if their product will work on the back of an rv..

If they don't recommend it, you are on thin ground if it causes a problem.

Most will have that disclaimer in their sales literature.
I emailed the manufacturer. We'll see what they say.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtech View Post
Here's a link showing what happens. This is the same kind of bumper on millions of RV trailers. I would guess two 45 lb bikes that far out from the bumper put several hundred lbs of force where the bumper is attached to the frame extensions due to leverage effect.
I have a 2" receiver hitch rated at 300lbs. This mounted to the frame and not the bumper. So keep this in mind it will NOT be bumper mounted.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
Old 11-07-2017, 06:51 PM   #28

I find this interesting here is the reply from the manufacturer.

XTC4 is not a RV approved product
There is a pin and clip at the base of the rack to fold up when not in use

Any models that fold are not under warranty being used on the back of a camper
Karla Hewer
300-1880 Government St. Penticton BC, Canada V2A 7J1
Tel: 250.490.8883 Toll Free: 800.469.7924
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtech View Post
This is why:

1) the bumper mounts MUST be reinforced. This is one method that I can say works from experience.

https://www.amazon.com/4SQUARE-Safet...Bumper-Failure

Bolting these brackets to the frame will provide a much stronger mount for the bumper. Or you can use a trailer hitch properly mounted to the frame. No matter what, the location you use must be able to take at least 300-500 pounds. A bike rack on the rear of a TT or RV develops a lot of torque (twisting) when shaking or whipping. That's what will break welds, rip thin steel and can easily lead to the lose of your racks, bikes, spare tire and sewer line.

2) you need to bite the bullet and pay for a RV approved bike rack. You need a rack that minimizes the twisting and whipping of the bikes and rack. These racks are heavier and the manufacture will warranty for RV use.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #30

Just purchased the Yakima Long Haul bike rack (RV approved) for our 28.5 HT.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:01 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
Just purchased the Yakima Long Haul bike rack (RV approved) for our 28.5 HT.

I leaning towards the above rack however not sure how easy it will be to put women's bikes and kids bike on the rack. Seems like you have to put a adapter bar on the bikes to make it work. Went something quick and simple to use. Any one with experience using women's and kids bikes with thw Long haul rack?
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
Old 11-08-2017, 07:45 AM   #32

I use this bike rack purchased on Amazon. Holds 4 bikes...mine, 2 women's bikes and 1 kids bike. I've used it for about a year now and have had no problems. Traveled from N. TX to FL and back.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg
Old 11-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #33

Quote:
I leaning towards the above rack however not sure how easy it will be to put women's bikes and kids bike on the rack. Seems like you have to put a adapter bar on the bikes to make it work. Went something quick and simple to use. Any one with experience using women's and kids bikes with thw Long haul rack?
We use the adapter bar for my wife's bike and it's easy. Both side have a pivoting lock bar to make putting it around the seat and handle bar posts quick and easy. My only suggestion is decide which end of the bar goes to which post and mark one of them. Both fit, but in our case, there was one way it was easier to lock the bar. Either way works, but we found one side of the bar adapter is slightly longer than the other, with the longer side easier to put on the seat post.

Also make sure you use the rubber boot on the pin lock. Keeps it clean and dry.

As for kids bikes, cannot help you there, but the adapter bar should be a big help there also.

If you decide you need a second locking cable, check out Amazon. Also Yakima does make matching lock cylinders available (sells). You would need to have the lock number (on both the pin and built in cable lock faces). Make sure you ask for the bump key to change it out. Took all of 15 seconds to swap.

And this is a solid rack for the back of your TV when you just want to haul your bikes to a trail or repair shop.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:01 PM   #34

Here is my experience. We moved from a TT to a 5th wheel this spring, so I needed somewhere to haul 4 bikes. I did a lot of research online and finally decided to buy the Yakima Long Haul 4 bike rack. Two reasons for the purchase, first was the name Yakima gets alot of good reviews, second is that the Long Haul was rated for the back of a MH or 5th wheel. My 5th wheel does have the factory installed hitch on the back which is what I used. We used it on short local trip and all was good. Then we used it on our big 2-1/2 week trip in June, within the first 500 miles one of the arms was bent. I made sure I had everything loaded properly. I used 3 of these, https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Bicyc.../dp/B000YZG8JS, to load 2 adult womens bikes and a boys kid bike along with mine. Attached are pictures of the bike rack that I used for warranty purposes. Just got it shipped back last week, they are supposed to be replacing it, told them I didn't want the replacement, just my money back because I have no confidence that a new one wouldn't do the same thing. I thought it was a pain trying to load and unload the bikes from a hanging bike rack. With more research I have found a 4 bike tray style rack that is rated for the back of an RV, Pro Series - 4 Bike Carrier - Trailer Hitch Mount
Attached Thumbnails
Bike Rack arm bending.JPG   IMG_4142.jpg   IMG_4150.jpg  
oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:36 PM   #35

Regardless of what bike rack you buy, you never want to attach it to the manufacturer's bumper. Most bumpers are very thin and only intended for the spare tire and to hold the sewer hose. You should check into buying receiver tube that can be welded to multiple cross braces of underneath the trailer. This will keep the weight off the rear bumper.
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:29 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETCrockett View Post
Regardless of what bike rack you buy, you never want to attach it to the manufacturer's bumper. Most bumpers are very thin and only intended for the spare tire and to hold the sewer hose. You should check into buying receiver tube that can be welded to multiple cross braces of underneath the trailer. This will keep the weight off the rear bumper.
I have a factory installed 2" receiver hitch. So nothing to the bumper
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
Old 11-15-2017, 09:56 PM   #37

Below is an emailed response from thule. I guess I won't buy their rack. Good thing I asked the question about bike racks on thi forum. Now I will be looking for an RV rated bike rack.

Subject

bike_carriers

Response By Email (Tyler Kennedy) (11/15/2017 03:48 PM)

Thank you for contacting Thule Customer Service.

We cannot recommend any of our carriers be installed on a trailer or towed vehicle. In terms of trailers, the suspension is far different than on passenger automobiles by design. Mainly the rear axle is much farther forward as compared to a passenger vehicle. Thus, any road vibrations or bumps, are amplified over the longer distance which is transferred to the carrier and bikes, so that scenario poses a risk to the equipment, the carrier, as well as the receiver it is installed into. When it comes to a towed vehicle, if there were to be a failure of any component during transit the issue may not come to light until there is a major issue or failure due to the fact the bikes would not be easily visible, so in short, it leave the possibility that something small could turn into something large with potentially no indication. This would of course be a rare instance, but nonetheless these are the reasons for our recommendations.

Best Wishes,

Tyler
Thule Customer Service Team
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
Old 11-16-2017, 01:29 AM   #38

Quote:
Just received my new Yakima Long Haul bike rack and installed it this weekend. My bike and the DW's bike fit fine without the the horizontal bar. The bikes sit high enough so there is ample ground clearance. We have only hauled them 50 miles but are pleased so far.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #39

Hey have you had continued success using the 2.0 bike carrier? Do you have the extension for 4 bikes? Sorry this was in reply to earlier post about Kuat 2.0
Steelstef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:45 PM   #40

Can you explain your bike set up and if it all still works.
Patchesrv is offline   Reply With Quote